Fake vegan product...?

Harriot Smith

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Recently, I went to a food show and there was a man that was selling a vegan product.

It was something very unusual and something that i miss very much since becoming a Vegan.

I tried the product and and it tasted good. I was assured that it was 100% Vegan.
To me that was VERY important. I was also told that the seller was the producer and was himeself a Vegan - that made me happy.

A few weeks later i noticed on his facebook page that there were some questions that were not answered they were:

a) What is your Food rating?
b) Where is this product made ?
c) Is the product 100% Vegan?
d) are the raw ingredients Vegan?

None of these questions were answered.

I then spoke to some other Vegan Friends who told me that the product was NOT Vegan. Did NOT have a food rating. was NOT made in an approved hygenic enviroment and the man was NOT a Vegan at all - apprantly he was seen having egs, bacon and sausages before a show!!

So, as you can imagine i am totally shocked and feel used just so that i can fund a non Vegan product!

What can i do and who can i complain too ??

The man that makes this product has refused to answer any of my calls or emails.

I dont want to name the business or the product as if what i am told is false then i dont want to damage anyones reputation.

I apologise for the long winded thread.

Thank you

Hi Harriet,

You give no indication as to where you live. I suspect you may be in the US as we Brits would talk about food fairs rather than shows.

In the UK it is illegal to sell anything purporting to be what it is not. The borough councils are responsible for enforcing the regulations.

The borough council will have a trading standards officer or there may be a regulatory services department.

I find that the best way to get things done when dealing with the council is to telephone rather than write or email. There is much more of a personal relationship built up and that helps enormously.

They will probably not prosecute for a first offence but will certainly warn off the offender.

Whichever way, this guy needs dealing with. What he is doing is totally dishonest, insulting and humiliating. And it would be well worth going to the next fair to see if he is still about. Activism works. :)

Good luck.

Roger.

Good Afternoon Roger

I live in the UK and i was refering to food fairs or shows etc and i am based in Wolverhampton.

Roger, what i find very upsetting is that a NON VEGAN is selling NON VEGAN products and making a claim that all his products are vegan.
When you ask him any questions, he is very vague and avoids answering any questions.

He does not have a website and uses standard hotmail email account.

He does not disclose his location.... ie, you dont have his business address or home address.

After speaking to other people i have discovered he has NO health and hygene certification at all. That to me is a big worry because he could be making the product anywhere that is not clean.

Above all of this, the man isnt Vegan.... ok, i dont have an issue, if you fancy a fry up thats good with me... BUT, please, dont insult us Vegans by saying your a Vegan and then after the event having a KFC!! Its very wrong and dishonest on so many levels.

Perhaps I am an old school Vegan.... who believes in being ethical and honest. I do agree with one thing. If your making a Vegan product then you should be a Vegan. How else are you ever going to connect and understand what a Vegan lifestyle choice is??

I really dont want to name and shame this person, but i feel if i still have no joy to find out if he is a Vegan or if the product is vegan then i will tell the whole world.

As a vegan.... i dont want to be walked of by narrow minded ignorant people. Thats NOT allowed by any means!

Thank you Roger.

"If your making a Vegan product then you should be a Vegan. How else are you ever going to connect and understand what a Vegan lifestyle choice is??" I just have to say that though in an ideal world we would all be vegan of course, there would be less choice out there if we did apply this rule. I know of a lot of brands with vegan products, despite the CEO or all members on the board being vegan themselves.

In this case I would maybe just feel sorry for the man for being so desperate to sell his stuff that he's willing to lie and make sure to go home and research the product before you buy it next time or stick to brands you know and have researched already.