"Fail to plan, plan to fail"

Qwaychou

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I am the only vegan in the house. My son is flex, and my husband is decidedly meat-based.
Given this info, I did not give up animal products because i dont like the taste or smell. Im not at that point yet. We are all doing intermittent fasting, mornings are hard for me. The hubs like to fry bacon with his eggs. I wouldnt eat any, but the smell drives me bonkers.
And last night, i made the kid a sushi bowl with tuna, smelled awesome. If I hadnt had some made foods like my chili cornbread casserole, i may have made one for myself, hence the name of this thread.
I know there are a lot of vegans who the smell of animal foods grosses them out. I am not yet there. I'm looking for some support and ideas.
I know i can keep the pictures of the animals suffering in the forefront of my mind. What else can i do when i am cooking or smelling animal products? How long did it take you to feel nothing when smelling them? What other tactics do you use, like having meals premade in the fridge?

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou
As you say, preplanning is a good idea!

My suggestion would be to save your intermittent fasting for a later time when you are fully ensconced in your new lifestyle. Feeling hungry is the certain road to temptation and having to smell bacon cooking while hungry is a tough one for sure.

🤞 Emma JC

I agree with Emma, planning is key. I also agree that keeping the animals at the forefront of your mind is helpful. Try to remember the awful lives these animals endure just to satisfy human tastebuds. If you really are tempted, try to watch (I can't do it anymore as I just get so sad) Meet Your Meat or Earthlings after you are done cooking.

I don't know how vegans who have to cook for non-vegans do it. I was single when I went vegan, so I didn't have to worry about that. It must be really difficult. If I had to prepare dead flesh, I think I would become physically ill. I can't even pass by the dead flesh areas in the grocery store without becoming nauseated.

I wish I could offer more strategies, but just try to remember the good you are doing for our non-human friends.

The thing that works for me is bulk preparations*
Just having lots of food in the frig and freezer.
That way when you are hungry there is something right there that you can re-heat and eat. Also, the fact that you have to eat it the fresh food before it goes bad is a good detriment to eating "off schedule".
Since I hate to throw away food I make my meal plan for the week before I go grocery shopping. So i pretty much know what i'm going to eat every meal. ( there is a bit of flexibility allowed. For instance, I had my afternoon smoothie for breakfast today. the oatmeal will keep.)
Side benefit: fewer trips to the grocery store = less gas.

About the only thing I make one-at-a-time right now is stir fry. even my stir fry has some assembly line components. I make 6 servings of rice - never one. and when I get my veggies home from the grocery store I wash and chop most of them right away.

I even make my salads and pasta in bulk now.

* I'm not sure "bulk preparations" is the right word. "Assembly line prep"? Basically never make one serving when you can make 10.

I agree on delaying doing intermittent fasting! I did try that for a while and it did get me over that weight loss plateau, but I wouldn't do it while making a diet change- you're likely to lose just going plant based!

Smells bother me a lot, a big reason why I love shopping Aldi- there is no open meat, and certainly no disgusting rotisserie chicken. Whole Foods, and a local grocery that appeals to the health conscious, both have open seafood displays near vegan specialties! I hate them both.
I really have issues with going out where's there's seafood, if it's grilled meat and seasoned right I can distract myself from it.

Definitely keep easy things to grab on hand! I remember for me it was keeping fat free refried beans, salsa and chips.
And knowing what the Chinese restaurant had that was vegan!

Intermittent fasting is why this is happening. A vegan of ten years went back to animal products after starving himself this way for a year or two.

People who are hungry enough will eat anything. I suggest you eat normal meals and this will end.

Intermittent fasting is why this is happening. A vegan of ten years went back to animal products after starving himself this way for a year or two.

People who are hungry enough will eat anything. I suggest you eat normal meals and this will end.
Intermittant fasting averages 9 hours eating, 15 hours not eating, or thereabouts. It is not meant to be a starvation diet, or even calorie deprevation. There are vegan intermittant fasting groups. I've played with it and had good success, I've just really falled off every healthy eating woe for a while :joy:

I have had my doubts about intermittent fasting. but Dr. Fuhrman wrote a book on it so I'm now curious. the book isn't available at my library so for now I'm not trying it.

I think for me it would be pretty easy. I am not that hungry in the morning and I sleep better if I don't have late-night snacks.

Reactions: KLS52
Intermittant fasting averages 9 hours eating, 15 hours not eating, or thereabouts. It is not meant to be a starvation diet, or even calorie deprevation. There are vegan intermittant fasting groups. I've played with it and had good success, I've just really falled off every healthy eating woe for a while :joy:

That just sounds like skipping breakfast. The person I am talking about only ate one big meal per day and that's how some people do it. How could you get enough calories as a vegan (especially as a whole foods vegan) eating once per day?

Intermittent fasting can be dangerous and even if it works for some people, a general rule of common sense is that fasting just makes you hungry later. Hungry people make bad decisions which is why people are advised not to grocery shop hungry or skip breakfast.

Fasting one day a month is fine for Animals First or religious beliefs, or on special occasions but orthorexia isn't interesting to me in the slightest, so I'll never do intermittent fasting just to be doing it.

It's also glaringly obvious to me that someone eating bacon and eggs is getting more fat and calories on an intermittent fast than a vegan, unless the vegan eats junk food, which defeats the purpose of fasting for health or weight loss.

Reactions: KLS52
Interesting thing about exercise. I’m at my best in the morning before I eat breakfast. It’s usually been at least 12 hours since I’ve had anything to eat. Once I’ve eaten I find it difficult to do any type of exercise even if I wait 2-3 hours. I’ve always thought that to be odd. But I do have stomach issues so maybe that has something to do with it. I know 12 hours isn’t considered fasting. It’s just weird how I seem to do better on a completely empty stomach.

I don’t sleep more than 5 hours so it isn’t that I’m waking up rested lol.

More interesting tidbits from the happy herbivore...

“Bodybuilders who practice IF have two stragegies:

1. Lift in a fasted state and immediately "feed" afterwards -OR-
  2. Exercise right before final last meal of the day.
Several of our meal plan users who practice IF reported that their workouts are better (higher energy, quicker recovery) in a fasted state.

I find I personally prefer snowboarding and moderate hiking during my fasting period. I perform better and longer. I eat a high carbohydrate food like potatoes or apples when I am done with the activity.”

I'm interested in IF too. I mostly thought it was just smoke and mirrors but I trust Fuhrman and he wrote a book on it. Although maybe he is just riding the wave.

I almost IF now anyway. If I go to the gym first thing in the morning and skip my evening snack, I go about 16 hours between dinner and breakfast.

My library lost their copy. Maybe you can check your library for it.

Oh! Wait! Fuhrman has some YouTube videos on it. and so does Gregar.

Reactions: Qwaychou
I have spent the majority of my life, I think (since I was 18 and out of the house) "intermittent fasting" - before anyone ever invented the term. Meaning, I have never made myself eat on a schedule, never routinely eaten breakfast (until now, that I've grown "addicted" to oatmeal, LOL)... For years I never ate breakfast, or anything before 11 AM or even some time after noon. I ate when I was hungry. The entire idea of needing to eat 3 meals a day at a certain time was not something that humans did naturally, IMO, it was born out of cultural routines, or to sell food - to ensure the masses were consuming the "foods" that the "powers that be" have decided we should be eating and when. ...I had a huge bowl of oatmeal for breakfast at about 8 ... with blueberries, a large banana, about 1/2 cup of chopped nuts, a tablespoon of flax meal, 5 large chopped medjool dates, a generous dousing of soy milk, and a drizzle of maple syrup. It's now noon, and I'm not hungry. Am I supposed to force myself to eat now because our society tells us it's time for lunch?

Choosing to skip a meal now and then - fairly regularly - is what I've used to intuitively maintain my weight. Skipping a meal does not equate to "starving oneself." At the age of 54, I've become quite good at listening to my body and eating when my body is telling me it needs food, and what kind of food it needs. Sometimes this just happens to mean that I skip a socially-expected meal time. Doing this does not cause me to be any more hungry for the next meal time that I otherwise would be.

Now, all this rigid obsession over IF schedules and whatnot I find to be extremely tiresome (right along with all the other fad dieting regimes people follow). I've never followed a prescribed "diet" of any kind - meaning, planned meals and planned times to eat 'n' such. The closest I ever came was about a decade ago when I was working out a lot and I had a window of time to eat - meaning roughly between 2 PM to 6 PM... I just made that up for myself because it felt like what was right for me at the time. I was the most fit then I've ever been in my life. This was still long before I ever heard the term "intermittent fasting." I didn't talk about it with anyone and I didn't read about it in a book. I just did it.

Anyway - the idea that this is somehow "dangerous" is about as extreme as people drinking pee thinking it's going to cure cancer or something. I suppose it depends on how far you take it and become obsessed with it (i.e. don't), but seriously, you're not going to die if you miss a meal or stop eating breakfast. You really aren't. In fact, it's not a bad idea to give your digestive tract a break once in a while. Honestly, if you haven't tried it, you really don't know enough to comment on how it feels or how your body is going to react.

Honestly - since I've been WFPBV (2+ years now), I've all but completely eliminated my obsessive food habits and/or cravings for junk. I do sometimes eat out of habit, but I don't feel guilty about powering down a huge bowl of steamed broccoli or frozen fruit so really, the answer is just to eat actual food! (i.e., PLANTS!) :)

Edit: I did NOT have honey with my oatmeal! LOL - I have no idea why I typed that - I have never even liked honey.

Reactions: Emma JC
I am the only vegan in the house. My son is flex, and my husband is decidedly meat-based.
Given this info, I did not give up animal products because i dont like the taste or smell. Im not at that point yet. We are all doing intermittent fasting, mornings are hard for me. The hubs like to fry bacon with his eggs. I wouldnt eat any, but the smell drives me bonkers.
And last night, i made the kid a sushi bowl with tuna, smelled awesome. If I hadnt had some made foods like my chili cornbread casserole, i may have made one for myself, hence the name of this thread.
I know there are a lot of vegans who the smell of animal foods grosses them out. I am not yet there. I'm looking for some support and ideas.
I know i can keep the pictures of the animals suffering in the forefront of my mind. What else can i do when i am cooking or smelling animal products? How long did it take you to feel nothing when smelling them? What other tactics do you use, like having meals premade in the fridge?

Smells and Taste: I did this experiment some time b4 I went vegan. Since you are cooking animal products already for others, then it might be worth giving it a go.

I took mince meat (beef), boiled it in plain water (nothing added) then let it sit overnight. In the morning, the fat was floating on top of the water in little islands and the boiled mince at the bottom. Drain the water and isolate these two.

Smell it. If you didn't added any spices at all and you boiled it, it has no smell - neither the mince nor the fat.
Taste it (if you must to convince yourself and spit out). In the mince there is something of a metallic taste and really that's it. The fat has 0 taste at all. Nothing mouth watering here.

I don't cook animal products for others (as I live alone) but sometimes when I am out I smell other's outdoor cooking. Most of the time what you are smelling are the spices, the smoking, or a combination of the too. Bacon is often pre-smoked and depending on the brand, sometimes spiced, and sausages often come with added spices, yeast extract etc.

As for other hints, it's definitely worth your while to batch cook and freeze so you have quick meals ready when you might be tempted. I do some batch cooking sometimes, but what I do all the time is have already pre-soaked brown rice and beans ready in my freezer for quick cooking. These need to be soaked for at least 8 hours and if done so even after freezing they are a fairly quick cook. I do these in fairly large batches so that I don't have to do it every day. If you know what spices/flavorings you like and have them on hand then you're good to go in a few minutes.

Smells and Taste: I did this experiment some time b4 I went vegan. Since you are cooking animal products already for others, then it might be worth giving it a go.

I took mince meat (beef), boiled it in plain water (nothing added) then let it sit overnight. In the morning, the fat was floating on top of the water in little islands and the boiled mince at the bottom. Drain the water and isolate these two.

Smell it. If you didn't added any spices at all and you boiled it, it has no smell - neither the mince nor the fat.
Taste it (if you must to convince yourself and spit out). In the mince there is something of a metallic taste and really that's it. The fat has 0 taste at all. Nothing mouth watering here.

I don't cook animal products for others (as I live alone) but sometimes when I am out I smell other's outdoor cooking. Most of the time what you are smelling are the spices, the smoking, or a combination of the too. Bacon is often pre-smoked and depending on the brand, sometimes spiced, and sausages often come with added spices, yeast extract etc.

As for other hints, it's definitely worth your while to batch cook and freeze so you have quick meals ready when you might be tempted. I do some batch cooking sometimes, but what I do all the time is have already pre-soaked brown rice and beans ready in my freezer for quick cooking. These need to be soaked for at least 8 hours and if done so even after freezing they are a fairly quick cook. I do these in fairly large batches so that I don't have to do it every day. If you know what spices/flavorings you like and have them on hand then you're good to go in a few minutes.
This is such a yucky experiment to actually suggest to do (like I couldn't do it), but it's probably an excellent demonstration of the fact that what you're smelling and craving is not the animal flesh or the animal's fat at all, but the spices used in the preparation of it. These tastes and smells can be easily duplicated, using plants as a base. If you look up AvantegardeVegan on YouTube, he makes bacon and shredded "pork", and roasts - all vegan. His cooking is on the level of upscale restaurant - I'd personally not take the time, but have a look at some of his dishes. They look pretty amazing, as far as taste goes (he doesn't really focus on healthy - it's all about taste):

IMO, what ultimately happens is that you will have something of a paradigm shift, and this shift will very clearly affect what you find to be appealing from a sensory perspective. You say it hasn't happened yet, but it will happen. I applaud you for taking this step in a household where you are not supported in action, yet I have hope that these people may come around with time, once they see how good your feeling. :)

When I was a kid my grandmother would buy cheap cuts and boil for our dog without any seasoning and I remember how gross it smelled. When I was younger I went to an outdoor concert with a guy who said he'd make chicken-it was literally boiled legs. It stank so badly I can't tell you
Of course boiled meat smells

When I was a kid my grandmother would buy cheap cuts and boil for our dog without any seasoning and I remember how gross it smelled. When I was younger I went to an outdoor concert with a guy who said he'd make chicken-it was literally boiled legs. It stank so badly I can't tell you
Of course boiled meat smells

I used beef, not chicken. Chicken stinks even before it's cooked.