EPIC Vegan Food!

Growing up, I think we rotated fewer than 9 dishes, all with meat. My mother was nice though, and would make mine without meat when possible, when not possible I would just make a salad or sandwich.

Reactions: ledboots
Not for vegetarians.
I'm not sure I understand this, if mock meat has an inferior flavor profile than that is going to apply to vegetarians as well. Its just that vegetarians aren't going to eat meat even if they prefer the taste.

Many omnis cook the same boring stuff over and over. This article is British but I'm sure a similar list exists for Americans.
And many veg*n do the same and, in fact, many use mock foods so they can make the same sorts of meals they use to eat when they were "omnis".

Reactions: SpiritualPanda
the war on mock meat again. :D

The Vegusto no-moo melty vegan cheese has got just as good a taste profile as dairy cheese when it comes to making pasta cheeses....
With meats, they are less good, from my limited experience of real meat.....although I have talked with some omnies who sometimes make Quorn mince bolognese, and they say they can fool other omnies with it.

The Vegusto no-moo melty vegan cheese has got just as good a taste profile as dairy cheese when it comes to making pasta cheeses....

I love that stuff so much!:smitten: A lot of the mock meats taste good to me because I suppose I can't really remember what real meat tastes like at this point. I really like the breaded schnitzel things. Yum.

I'm not sure I understand this, if mock meat has an inferior flavor profile than that is going to apply to vegetarians as well. Its just that vegetarians aren't going to eat meat even if they prefer the taste.

Yes and no. What I was inferring to was that meat was going to be an unthinkable choice all around for vegetarians, so something that you can't consume isn't really superior in an overall regard, but also that the mental aspect will often affect a vegetarians taste for animal products due to the associations that they have with it, like suffering, death, illness and so on. It is like you say, however, right to say that something like "fake" meat or cheese never fully will be a perfect imitation in neither taste nor texture. That is, of course, if that is the result that we aspire to.

I was quite amused by the video. I find the kind of burgers which have meat as both patties to be a bit over the top, but it is nice to show people that vegan food can be any type of food.... And I thought the thanksgiving burger looked very nice.... a good idea.

I eat mock meat sometimes but I have it as an occasional indulgence... I always make sure I rotate my vegetables so I dont get bored too.

Many omnis cook the same boring stuff over and over. This article is British but I'm sure a similar list exists for Americans.
Mothers rotate nine recipes to feed their families | Daily Mail Online

"Nine in ten mothers polled admitted cooking the same meals over and over again while one in four make the same meals on the same day of the week."...~snip~

..."And nine most relied-upon meals are....

1. Spaghetti Bolognese

2. Roast dinner

3. Shepherds Pie/Cottage Pie

4. Pasta dish

5. Meat and two veg

6. Pizza

7. Casserole/stew

8. Sausages and chips/mash

9. Indian/Curry"

And the most awesome thing about going veg is the realisation that you can still have all of the above :) .

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52
I love Daiya, I'm able to make comfort foods I haven't eaten in years. Plus, there are pizza places here that offer vegan pizza using daiya. I can eat there with omni relatives and not have to order cheeseless pizza.

With meats, they are less good, from my limited experience of real meat....
I'm not sure what a pasta cheese is, but I find some of the mock meats to be at least edible while I can't say the same about mock cheese.

What I was inferring to was that meat was going to be an unthinkable choice all around for vegetarians, so something that you can't consume isn't really superior in an overall regard, but also that the mental aspect will often affect a vegetarians taste for animal products due to the associations that they have with it, like suffering, death, illness and so on.
Sure, but I'm more so talking about taste and non-vegetarians perception of vegetarian food. The idea, among non-vegetarians, that vegetarian (and especially vegan) food is inferior in taste, etc is widespread and I think the use of mock foods by vegetarians reinforces that view. They may see the "epic vegan food" in the video and try it and realize that, taste-wise, it isn't so epic after all.

Sure, but I'm more so talking about taste and non-vegetarians perception of vegetarian food. The idea, among non-vegetarians, that vegetarian (and especially vegan) food is inferior in taste, etc is widespread and I think the use of mock foods by vegetarians reinforces that view. They may see the "epic vegan food" in the video and try it and realize that, taste-wise, it isn't so epic after all.

I don't think that people who really want to be veg*ns are going to be deterred by sub-standard faux meat-products. Although, I have to say that I'm a bit biased by seeing people that I know having tried fake meats and ending up liking it. It's not unlikely to think that either ones of us eats 100% perfect food all the time either.

"Epic" food is almost always something that tastes good and is bad for you at any rate. If I truly wanted to eat what I call epic food, I would probably go to a expensive and experimental restaurant anyway.

You are correct that veg*n food is perceived by omni's as inferior in taste - but I believe that is due to the negativity associated with having to eat only vegetables and salad. Faux meats and 'veganized' meat dishes and other assorted vegan junk food help to bridge the gap and make the transition easier.

I speak from personal experience too. The first thing I did when I became vegan - was to try to mimic the foods I used to eat with whatever vegan ingredients and faux meats as I could get my hands on. My wife and I held a vegan 'Iron Chef' event for our omni friends to showcase a number of veganized dishes. Granted - they came with an open mind - but they all ate up everything sight. Meatballs and marinara sauce, surf and turf, kung pao chixen, etc.

The kind of food depicted in this video are not the healthiest options available, but in the effort to convert meat eaters - it is important to have greasy, safe, comfort foods like these. It is too ingrained into our society.

Last edited:
I don't like to say macaroni cheese, if I use other types of pasta.
Macaroni and cheese isn't something I have much experience with so I have no idea whether the vegan "cheeses" work just as well as real cheese in that context. I more so have in mind cheese as used in a more traditional context.

I don't think that people who really want to be veg*ns are going to be deterred by sub-standard faux meat-products.
I guess this depends on what you mean by "really wants". Since a vegetarian can easily avoid fake meat I imagine if someone was really motivated to be vegetarian they would be one regardless of what fake meat options exist. Yet I'm often told that fake meats are a good tool to promote veg*nism because they make it easier to be vegetarian which would imply that the overall taste and quality of veg*n food is a factor.

In any case, I think emphasizing mock foods that have inferior taste makes convincing people to be vegetarian (or to eat less meat) that much more difficult.

You are correct that veg*n food is perceived by omni's as inferior in taste - but I believe that is due to the negativity associated with having to eat only vegetables and salad. Faux meats and 'veganized' meat dishes and other assorted vegan junk food help to bridge the gap and make the transition easier.
People do, at times, associate vegetarianism with "veggies" but many people are aware of fake meats as well. I don't think giving someone a mock dish that is traditionally prepared with meat and/or cheese is going to convince them that vegetarian food can be just as delicious as what they are use to eating.

I speak from personal experience too. The first thing I did when I became vegan - was to try to mimic the foods I used to eat with whatever vegan ingredients and faux meats as I could get my hands on.
My personal experience is much different than yours. But I'm sure there are plenty of long-term vegetarians that regularly eat mock meats, but that doesn't mean mock meats are a good way to promote a meat-free culinary culture.

The kind of food depicted in this video are not the healthiest options available, but in the effort to convert meat eaters - it is important to have greasy, safe, comfort foods like these. It is too ingrained into our society.
Personally I have trouble promoting overt junk foods due to the impact they have on peoples health but there are plenty of greasy comfort foods that don't contain fake meat.