Environmental concerns

john.barford

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have been a vegan for two years. I pass gas (fart) considerably more than before. I have spoken to fellow vegans and all suffer from the same symptom, despite eating recommended diets to alleviate this.
My concern is this. If the majority of the population become vegan or vegetarian will this not increase the amount of methane in the atmosphere and affect climate change

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC
No, you are wrong because a) in a lot of cases the excessive farting experienced by new vegans becomes less severe after some time when their digestion adjusts, but more importantly b) human farts are by far outweighed by the much higher volume farts produced by cows and other grazing animals that are raised to feed meat eaters.

I expected this post to be controversial as many people hold strong opinions about all aspects of veganism and therefore may not be able to see, or accept objectivity, any ideas that appear to challenge their view. I therefore would like to ask if anyone knows of any independent research done into this topic.

I don't believe there is any research on the amount of GHG produced by human metabolism. We certainly produce CO2 just from breathing and methane from farting. I suppose human generated GHG are just considered a given. I have yet to see a proposal that suggests we reduce the number of humans in order to produce less GHG.

However, there is a ton of research and studies done on the consequences of animal agriculture. Some of the conclusions are debatable but there is a lot that is accepted as facts by everyone but the Big Food Corporations.

A couple of interesting "facts" I've come to understand. Most of the cow's emissions are not from farting - but from belching. At least one source that I found state that as much as 25% of the US's methane emissions come from the cow's themselves.

In probably the most cited study by the FAO, animal agriculture is responsible for 18% of GHG production.

There was a recent news article here in Norway on this topic, which cited research on the topic:

Even if you can't read Norwegian, you might enjoy the illustrations :) And there are hyperlinks to most of the cited research which is all in English.

Reactions: Emma JC and David3
I expected this post to be controversial as many people hold strong opinions about all aspects of veganism and therefore may not be able to see, or accept objectivity, any ideas that appear to challenge their view. I therefore would like to ask if anyone knows of any independent research done into this topic.

Not controversial. The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) recommends vegan diets: Figure 5.12 — Special Report on Climate Change and Land .

Per the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC):

"Consumption of healthy and sustainable diets presents major opportunities for reducing GHG emissions from food systems and improving health outcomes (high confidence). Examples of healthy and sustainable diets are high in coarse grains, pulses, fruits and vegetables, and nuts and seeds; low in energy-intensive animal-sourced and discretionary foods (such as sugary beverages); and with a carbohydrate threshold."

Link: Special Report on Climate Change and Land — IPCC site

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Not controversial. The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) recommends vegan diets: Figure 5.12 — Special Report on Climate Change and Land .
The climate change connection to animal agriculture is still somewhat controversial or debatable.
In at least three instances, (California, Maryland, and Idaho) the livestock industry stripped laws of language referencing climate change. Something similar in Florida.

I think the OP was thinking that beans were controversial but that maybe the idea of vegan farts adding to global warming.

The climate change connection to animal agriculture is still somewhat controversial or debatable.
In at least three instances, (California, Maryland, and Idaho) the livestock industry stripped laws of language referencing climate change. Something similar in Florida.

Controversial politically, sure. Not controversial scientifically, though.

My methane generation mixes with the smugness of my vegan diet to create harmless water. It is a well known vegan equation that methane + smugness = water (or in some cases even rainbows).

Not exactly on point for this thread but closely related. and its brand new news and I can't think of a better place to put it.

The article itself is well written and researched but IMHO some of the people quoted have their heads up their ***.

Really, how much research is necessary to determine that a hamburger made from beef is worse for the environment than a product made from plants?

Reactions: Emma JC