Eating out as a vegetarian

Is choosing dishes at a restaurant a pain?

• Yes, most dishes are not relevant to my vegetarian diet

• No, I like going through the menu

• I am indifferent about restaurant menus

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lubo

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping to get people's opinions on eating out as a vegetarian. I have found it quite a hassle, as one has to read through long menus where most dishes are irrelevant because they don’t fit a vegetarian diet. I have thus decided to work on an app to change that, and I want to make sure it is useful to as many vegetarians as possible. Could you take 2 minutes and fill out the survey at Eating out as a vegetarian to tell me your opinion? My current thinking is to allow people to save their food preferences (e.g. for meat, poultry, fish, eggs, etc.), and then prefilter restaurant menus to show them only what is relevant to them. I just want to make sure this would be useful to people other than me.

Thank you very much for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

Lubo

Danielle

forever seeking fire
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I usually go to vegan friendly restaurants so I enjoy looking at all the options. If they aren't specifically vegan friendly, I have trust issues :p

Indian Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I think there are already some similar apps for this, in particular for vegans and vegetarians. (E.g. HappyCow.)

How do you plan to compete with the existing apps? What will you offer that they don't have? How will you build up a sufficiently large directory of restaurants?

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
One of the problems with filtering out what you're not likely to eat based on listings in a restaurant menu is that it doesn't leave any room for the possibility of having the chef make a special order, or asking the chef to leave something out of a dish or substitute something else. This is something I learned to do as a new vegetarian, because there are times when I don't have a choice of restaurants, such as going out to eat with my omni family. That's why, when I voted in the poll, I chose answer #2, because if I don't find something that's already vegetarian, I look at what they do have to see what can be modified. In a decent restaurant, a chef worth his or her salt (pun intended) will gladly make a special order or modify an existing dish.

MikoDel

Novice
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping to get people's opinions on eating out as a vegetarian. I have found it quite a hassle, as one has to read through long menus where most dishes are irrelevant because they don’t fit a vegetarian diet.
take a gander @ my website, mikodel.wordpress.com, I have wonderful pictures of veggie food from local places here in suburban PA just north of Philly. I find almost all restaurants are happy to modify existing dishes to my specifications. I know what I like and I ask cheerfully.

Also don't forget SIDE dishes. I was at P.F. Chang's a few years back, I ended up getting three veggie sides, came to under $10, delicious and filling.

Last edited:

Mikkel

Master
Reaction score
There are two things I dislike about Happy Cow.

1. Rating. They mean as long as the food is vegan, it can taste like puke and have staff from hell and you still can't rate them 1 star. The most excellent place with superb vegan food and most helpfull staff will never get 5 star if they have meat on menu. And would perhaps get less demand on vegan food.

2. No options to search after the most common allergies to find places with gluten free, nut free etc food.

If you ask people for hjelp, you often just get "look at HC" and you have still 50 restaurants to look through...

That is my two cents for a new app.

silva

Master
Supporter
Reaction score
take a gander @ my website, mikodel.wordpress.com, I have wonderful pictures of veggie food from local places here in suburban PA just north of Philly. I find almost all restaurants are happy to modify existing dishes to my specifications. I know what I like and I ask cheerfully.

Also don't forget SIDE dishes. I was at P.F. Chang's a few years back, I ended up getting three veggie sides, came to under $10, delicious and filling.
Tell me about Vedge <3

Are they banned:shrug:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lou Eating some meat is better for the environment than going vegetarian, new study finds Environment 5
robert99 Vegetarian cooking in meat-eating Hong Kong The Vegetarian Forum 0
N Help! Vegetarian eating survey The Vegetarian Forum 1
Vegan Dogs Pet food animal consumtion...ranks unnatural pet animals as the 5th largest meat eating continent in the world. Animals 0
R Ethical Vegans-Eating Birthday Cakes? Support 7
Mork Good & bad news! China will be eating less cat & dog meat General 2
KristopherCussans What is the best argument for meat-eating? Philosophy 3
J Keep feeling starving about one hour after eating. Health & Body 10
Z Is eating a lot of soy products ok? General 19
A Vegan for 4 years and now I'm eating meat/dairy regularly. Transitioning 12
Lou What Happens To Your Body When You Stop Eating Meat Health & Body 0
W Why I think eating meat can be moral General 24
S Elavated chol, trig after eating nutritarian Health & Body 5
TofuRobot Don't shame people for eating meat... General 14
Lou Science Friday - Eating Smarter in a Warming World General 1
Hog Do most vegans stop eating animals to end cruelty? General 8
A How to quit eating junk food-Feeling Sick Support 6
Limuray My eating choices are like a toxic relationship Health & Body 7
Emma JC another article recommending plant based eating General 0
C Wife began eating meat Relationships 15
Lou I just watched the documentary eating animals Lounge 8
Kate Eating living things Philosophy 25
R Eating in venice Holidays & Travel 1
blixa Help! feeling fatigued and weak while eating a healthy vegan diet. Health & Body 17
Lou The benefits of eating fake meat go beyond sustainability General 0
Jaydoesitgood Eating out habit Food & Drink 7
Forest Nymph There are people eating flesh and drinking blood now General 17
shyvas Excuses & Answers - For Not Eating Vegan General 8
S Should vegans consider eating insects? General 7
J Plant eating with terrible teeth Transitioning 2
beforewisdom Mike Anderson's "Eating" and more now free on Youtube General Discussion 1
Jinendra Singh Is eating meat bad for your soul? Philosophy 10
Steadylee68 Selective eating / weight loss advice Food & Drink 4
Hedgewitch Do we ingest negative energy by eating meat? Philosophy 7
Nekodaiden Have you ever tried eating something...unconventional, even for a vegan? Food & Drink 10
J Eating is an amoral thing General Discussion 8
Soffiare Veganism and eating disorders Transitioning 7
Jomama12341 Clean eating and weight loss question Support 6
H Health vs. "normal" eating Food & Drink 7
V Periods, eating disorders and veganism Health & Body 2
B Veganism with a history of eating disorders? Transitioning 5
P Carbs! ok does anyone else find eating vegan involves way too many carbs? General 1
orlaellen Eating and drinking on the go Transitioning 6
A Eating out manchester Lounge 3
Punkmorg Eating out in sheffield Lounge 5
D Veganism & restrictive eating disorders Health & Body 5
L Is this a balanced vegan diet or am i eating too much? Food & Drink 6
B Survey Healthy eating Marketplace 0
FreakyFreekeh The flesh eating 'weird vegan'... General 4
M 20lbs down while eating a TON: How I kept the weight off for 2years with NO DIETING whatsoever! Support 0