US Dolan Fire in Big Sur Most Likely Arson

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Some background: 7 years ago when I decided to start pursuing a career in environmental science I was on a solo backpacking retreat in Big Sur. Big Sur has depth of meaning for me because of this personal insight and how it shaped my life as a whole. Also, Big Sur has a unique and precious ecosystem, objectively speaking. It also shares a rich artistic history, including a significant part of the life of one of my favorite authors, Henry Miller.

The Dolan Fire currently burning in Big Sur destroyed a sanctuary for endangered California Condors. A baby condor who was too young to fly and therefore abandoned by his frightened parents, was captured on scientists' cameras being engulfed by flames. Condors only have approximately one baby per year, which makes it a serious task to preserve their species. Less consequentially, the fire burned part of the under-story of Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, but the US Forest Service is saying this is potentially beneficial because it did not scar the canopies and redwoods are resilient to fire. However, others are complaining that historical structures of importance are threatened, including a building that is a historic landmark and some beautiful bridges utilized by hikers.

Anyway, this psychopath committed arson and they caught him, and he apparently has ties to illegal cannabis farming. One of the reasons (and there were several) cannabis was legalized in the state of CA so widely is because of the huge environmental harm that some illegal cannabis farmers do to water ways, wildlife and forests. Some of them are ethical farmers, even have family farms, and others are little better than drug-dealing thugs who wantonly commit murder, rape, and destroy the land in search of a profit. I was so upset about this I cried for about 20 minutes yesterday. Cannabis is LEGAL now in CA, there is zero need for this. I hate these fuckers.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: Blues and Lou