Dog with chronic skin problems. Need advice.

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
My poor Mo is overtaken with itchy, yeasty skin. We've tried traditional vet treatments (antibiotics, steroids) with minimal results. I've also tried tea tree oil and aloe vera baths,grain free diet,and all sorts of sprays but still the battle rages on. The next step will be costly allergy testing. She's absolutely miserable and I feel there must be someone out there who has an answer. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Yes! First thing tomorrow when the light is good. Poor baby is rubbing her back on the sofa even after just having a bath, cortisone spray and a Benadryl!:(

Good! I have a dog with allergies myself. I'm at work now, but I'll write down later today what I've done with my dog.

Reactions: sallyomally
Has it just come on recently? I know a few people with dogs who have grass/pollen allergies and it's at its worst in the spring and summer.

Reactions: KLS52
Has anybody considered fungus as a possible cause? An antibiotic (unless it was a topical agent - applied to skin) would most likely have no effect on a fungus, and depending on what it was perhaps not even then.

I had a fungus for many years that would cause periodic outbreaks on my feet that would spread to my hands and elsewhere if I scratched. Several different doctors misdiagnosed it over many years. I was prescribed several different creams, and some type of pills once that can I remember - none of it worked. I finally cured myself when I was treating a yeast infection (men can get those also - we call it jock-itch) at the same time as I had an outbreak on my feet and decided to try the fungicide (Lotrimin) on it also. I cured a problem I'd had since I was a child. I've been clear of it for many years since.

(side note: I've only had 2 fungus based problems in my life that I'm aware of, and these were both of them - just in case I came off as one of the "unclean").

I don't know what type of ointment would be safe to try on a dog for this. You could try rinsing her with vinegar, and then a short time later rinsing it out with water, as I know that vinegar kills fungus. However it will also probably sting her and she won't like it.

Yes, I definitely believe she has some sort of fungus on her skin, due to a few areas where her skin is darkened(yeast infection, hence, the change in diet).Never thought of using Lotrimin. I'll have to check to find out if there's something similar that is used for dogs. Thanks,Dropkick.
shyvas, I use two- one is an anti-itch formula, and the other is an aloe vera and tea tree oil combination that is made specifically for skin problems.
Forgot to add: she also takes omega three fatty acids once per day, but her fur seems very brittle still.

Yes, I definitely believe she has some sort of fungus on her skin, due to a few areas where her skin is darkened(yeast infection, hence, the change in diet).Never thought of using Lotrimin. I'll have to check to find out if there's something similar that is used for dogs. Thanks,Dropkick.
shyvas, I use two- one is an anti-itch formula, and the other is an aloe vera and tea tree oil combination that is made specifically for skin problems.
Forgot to add: she also takes omega three fatty acids once per day, but her fur seems very brittle still.

If you suspect that it is due an yeast infection ask your vet whether you can use a special shampoo for her. You should also avoid giving her food that contains sugar or too many carbs.

I'm sure you've done an online search, but this has some good information.
http://thebark.com/content/vet-advice-relief-your-dogs-itchy-skin

It suggests diet related allergy and giving probiotics and fish oil. Maybe before spending money on allergy testing you could try eliminating some common allergens on your own. "The most common allergens are beef, dairy, wheat, egg, chicken, lamb, soy, pork, rabbit, and fish. And, most dogs are usually allergic to more than one thing."
Yikes!

:eek: Yes! That's exactly what the vet told me! I have this nagging fear that she's allergic to cats! Good article, by the way. Thanks!

Noomi has allergies too. She has both indoors, outdoors and food allergies. And also allergic to the fungus that you find in the dog's fur (she has only under her paws), so she is kind of allergic to herself.

It seems like indoors allergies are quite common, and that most of allergic dogs have some sort of indoors allergies. Mites that lives in dry food and in dust, sheets, coach etc. So reducing the amount of mites will be a good start.

The one that lives in the food are the easiest to reduce. Just freeze all food and treats for at least 8 hours. All kibbles contains some amount of mites, but it can be frozen. Meat doesn't contain mites, but then it's the ethical part and not all are comfortable to feed the dog meat.

The dog's bed should be of any sort of fake leather or similar fabrics. The mite doesn't like to live there, and it's easy to clean. Just wipe it with a wet cloth. All other fabrics that the dog sleeps on should be washable at 60 C / 140 F, as it will kill mites. Or be put in the freezer for at least 8 hoers. The best is to kick the dog out of the bedroom and coach. But I couldn't. Noomi still sleeps both in bed and coach. I bought some mite block sheets both for the bed and coach. And it has helped a lot.

For indoors allergies, good washing routines helps a lot. Soap doesn't kill mites, so to wash with a clean cloth and water is good enough. I bought a lot of microfiber cloths, so I only use them once and then wash them at 60 C / 140 F. My vacuum cleaner has also a HEPA filter. The best is to vacuum clean right before you leave the house for a couple of hoers (with the dog of cause. :p ). Keep the temperature in the house not too high, and reduce humidity (I don't know the weather at your place, so not all places are easy to control such things).

Food allergies are discussed if can be showed on a blood test or not. Some say it can, some say it can't. Noomi took a blood test that shows food allergies. I removed those ingredients from her diet, and for her it has worked. I was advised to start to give her a protein source that she never had eaten before. And then start to introduce one new protein source at a time. I haven't done the last thing, as I found a brand that doesn't contain the ingredients that the blood test claimed she was allergic to, and she has been better.

I give Noomi apple cider vinegar in her food every day, MSN powder and a omega 3 source (fish oil). The vinegar is to help that fungus and yeast doesn't grow in her fur. MSN and omega 3 should boos the immune system at bit.

One of the positive things about taking a blood test, is that it's possible to make a “vaccine” for the dog. I don't know the prices in the US for it, but here in Norway it quite expensive (price depends a bit on what the “vaccine” contains, Noomi's is one of the cheapest one, and I think it's about $450 a bit under a year). Her insurance also pay only for two treatments, and then I have to pay for the rest of them. But that is for Norway. Check up for your country.

Find also a good shampoo for your dog. The first one I got for Noomi from the vet, only made her worse and she scratched like hell. So if a shampoo doesn't help, try a new brand. Even though one brand is supposed to be the best, it's not always the best for your dog. Like ear drops. Noomi get a really bad reaction on the one that is supposed to be the best. So she needs to use an other brand. You can also mixed some vinegar with water and put in the fur at the last of showering (and don't use more water after that).

When the paws are attacked with fungus, I use paw socks at nights on Noomi. Treat her paws in the evening, put on some ointments and then she can't lick it off (she leaves her sock on always). So good socks are important here.

If the dog has outdoors allergies too, it get a bit harder sometimes. Special when all sorts of pollen are spreading. But take a wet cloth and dry of the dogs after walks. If she has taken bath in lakes with a lot of pollen on, just wash he off when she's at home. Noomi has some pollen allergies, but not of any threes that are a lot of where I live, so we're lucky there.

I like to do one thing at a time, and not all things at once. As I loose a bit track of what works then. And suddenly you are at the level that scratching etc is reducing.

I hope something can help you, and the best luck for both you and your dog.

Pics here. Wow, such great advice. It's good to hear from someone who understands what we've gone through. Thanks SO MUCH!

Attachments

• momom.jpg
    momom.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 217
  • momo.jpg
    momo.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 192
  • mo skin.jpg
    mo skin.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 195
Has she been checked for hypothyroidism? Not exactly common in small dogs but could still happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
Dick van Patten's Natural Balance has several limited-ingredient dog foods to choose from if you want to start there. They use not-as-common protein sources so dogs aren't as likely to be allergic. I have a dog with food allergies (wheat and chicken from my deductions, never had allergy testing) and eventually she was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. The 2 sometimes go together but of course not all dogs with allergies are hypothyroid. She used to get yeast infections in her ears all the time until I figured out the allergy thing (at first we thought it was from swimming in the river and not drying her ears) and her skin always smelled odd, like a yeast smell, which went away when she started thyroid meds. But she's a bigger dog (more common in them) and also had the telltale hair loss, around her neck and on her tail, which is when she had thyroid levels checked.

Reactions: sallyomally
Wolfie, thanks for the info. I'll check into it. Just discovered they have a fb page with coupons!I forgot to mention her thyroid checked out fine. I was almost hoping it wouldn't so we could at least pinpoint and treat the problem.:(

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the photos. Yep, my golden retriever, Libby, has the same problem.

My vet recommended a 50-50 solution of Listerine mouth wash and water in a spray bottle. I hit those red spots with it to kill any fungus/yeast.

She's on a diet of hydrolized protein (HP) dog food. It's expensive, about $4/lb (she goes through about 5 lbs in a week)

I use a chlorhexidine formula shampoo. (also expensive, $20 for a 16 oz bottle!)

Most importantly, I avoid letting her walk on newly-mowed grass. She seems to be allergic to grass and it's especially irritating after it's been mowed because the sap is oozing from the blades of cut grass. Regardless, I always towel off her feet and belly after a walk to be sure.

Most dogs have a small amount of fungus and/or yeast in their fur. Special under their paws. The problem with allergy dogs is that their "skin defence" is much poorer, and they will get infection and more attacked. If you see the paws of some white dogs, they are really attacked buy the fungus and has a lot of red fur. But even though they are more attacked than Noomi is example, her paws are different. Her paws are so dark (and quite well at the moment), but next time she get attacked, I'll try to remember to try to take some photos. Vida have never had red fur under her paws example (she has begie fur there, so it had been really easy).

If your dog haven't any open wounds on the places where she has those red spots, try to wash it with a little vinagre (start to blend it into some water). You can also put on a thin tshirt when she scratches a lot, so she can't scratch directly on the skin. Then the skin get a little "rest".

Some people give different Aloe Vera products for their dogs too with big luck (Noomi got the juice, but she only throws up...). Not all of the aloe vera products are vegan, but the Forever Living products aren't tested on animals.