Dog Food

thefadedone

Needs a life
Reaction score
For the past few years I was feeding my dog a very high quality, well known brand of dog food which she liked but seemed to get sick from on two separate occasions. I'm not 100% sure it was the food that made her sick, but her illness always happened around the same time I started her on a new bag of the food. The last time she got sick I contacted the company to see if that specific batch had been recalled by any chance or if there was some issues with it that I should have been made aware of.

Turns out there was indeed a problem with the food. Apparently they had some "quality issues" due to mold problems. The company reassured me that the mold problem was not that severe and should not have caused her to become sick. Even if this is the case, I still don't feel confident feeding my Princess that brand of food again.

So I was wondering what all the other dog parents out there have been feeding their furkids. I had switched over to Evo and Princess seemed to like it, but then I read about Halo and that sounded even better. I just started her on that and she has been scarfing it up so far! It's just expensive and very hard to find.

My dogs get mostly Taste of the Wild. High quality but a bit cheaper because I can get it at a local place and not one of the big box pet stores. I like to rotate in other high quality brands too so if you don't mind my asking, what brand had the mold problem? I want to avoid that.

They also get raw food (not everyone is for that, I know), mostly stuff that would be tossed if they didn't eat it.

My dogs get mostly Taste of the Wild. High quality but a bit cheaper because I can get it at a local place and not one of the big box pet stores. I like to rotate in other high quality brands too so if you don't mind my asking, what brand had the mold problem? I want to avoid that.

They also get raw food (not everyone is for that, I know), mostly stuff that would be tossed if they didn't eat it.

Oh cool. I didn't know if it was okay to do that.

Is grain free the best or does it depend on the breed of the dog?

I don't think all grains are bad for dogs. The problem is most dog foods have way too many. Even grain free dry dog foods can be carb heavy. Also they used to say that dogs over X age should eat lower protein but that is proving not to be the case, unless of course your dog has a health issue that warrants low-protein food. I have read that those original studies saying too much protein is not good for older dogs were actually based on rats, not dogs. (Not that I agree with lab studies on any critter of course.)

As far as the rotating, I use one brand as a base and mix another in. Some dogs will have GI problems if you just switch from one food to the next. Anyway some say it's a good idea to rotate, some say it's not necessary, but if I was a dog I think I'd like some variety. :p