Does one have to grind Quinoa/Nutrients?

Datel

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Does one have to crush Quinoa to get the full the nutrients?

unless you are going to make quinoa flour, which is a thing, then I don't see any benefit to grinding it - it is just another 'processing' step that takes it further from a 'whole' food - thanks for the question as it has given me an idea - I have some quinoa around that I haven't eaten as it isn't my fav and so maybe I will 'process' it into flour and make some bread from it as I was already planning to make some chick pea flour bread and maybe I could do half and half chick pea / quinoa flour

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou
You ask the best questions.
@Emma has already given you a good answer but I wouldn't mind getting peoples thoughts on the best way - nutrient wise - to prepare quinoa. I always make it in my InstanPot but not sure that is the best. There is no water being "wasted" so I think, nutrient wise, it's pretty good.

you can find quinoa flakes in the store which I guess is good for breakfast instead of oatmeal.

Sometimes I just take left over quinoa and reheat it in the microwave with milk for breakfast.

Reactions: Emma JC
unless you are going to make quinoa flour, which is a thing, then I don't see any benefit to grinding it - it is just another 'processing' step that takes it further from a 'whole' food - thanks for the question as it has given me an idea - I have some quinoa around that I haven't eaten as it isn't my fav and so maybe I will 'process' it into flour and make some bread from it as I was already planning to make some chick pea flour bread and maybe I could do half and half chick pea / quinoa flour

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
I've made quinoa tortillas by grinding into flour. I did not like it at all! tasted very --grassy maybe?
I do like this with lentils

• Informative
@Emma has already given you a good answer but I wouldn't mind getting peoples thoughts on the best way - nutrient wise - to prepare quinoa. I always make it in my InstanPot but not sure that is the best. There is no water being "wasted" so I think, nutrient wise, it's pretty good.

you can find quinoa flakes in the store which I guess is good for breakfast instead of oatmeal.

Sometimes I just take left over quinoa and reheat it in the microwave with milk for breakfast.
I've always cooked quinoa stovetop, 1 to 2 parts water, simmering like 15 minutes. I haven't done in IP unless I used in a soup
I have an unopened bag in my cupboard I want to keep ignoring 😝
Maybe I should make soup with some

• Haha
  • Informative
Hmmm... grinding quinoa never occurred to me. I've always basically cooked it like rice, but I didn't rinse it (the way I always rinse legumes).
Rice to wash off arsenic, but quinoa has a saponin coating-kind of a natural pesticide-that tastes bad. Some people are more sensitive to the taste than others, but still a good idea to rinse. Some come pre-rinsed.
Just watched this for inspo, but I'd never put quinoa in a salad! I'll just use it in burgers or soup. But others may like this:

I have some quinoa around that I haven't eaten as it isn't my fav and so maybe I will 'process' it into flour and make some bread from it
So just putting both of them (if the chick peas aren't flour yet) into a blender and mix it. In a mixing ratio in which quinoa does not have a negative taste. I wonder if one could make cake with it too.

Well, I guess, the most ones at least, if one doesn't know anything one has to ask all the time (unfortunately).

There is no water being "wasted" so I think, nutrient wise, it's pretty good.
Yes, probably the same as if one makes rice (which one probably shouldn't eat because of the arsenic, etc., instead e.g. bulgur), bulgur etc. So measuring the amount of water so that it has evaporated at the end of cooking and there is no need to pour water / nutrients away.

Or maybe combined. If one had a flake squeezer one could make the quinoa flakes (probably oat flakes as well and who knows what else) yourself.

• Friendly
@silva GAH. I read something someplace about arsenic in rice. IIRC, arsenic isn't applied intentionally to rice these days, but it's an element- not a compound- so it doesn't decompose or break down. Even if it were leached out of the soil by excessive irrigation or rainfall, it would most likely become a problem somewhere else. So I thought it couldn't be gotten rid of by rinsing or washing rice before you cook it: the rice just absorbs it. Another thing to google...

So far, though, I haven't had a problem with quinoa. Maybe I've been getting the pre-washed kind. Anyway, it just tastes pleasantly spinach-y to me.

[Popeye laugh](Uk-uk-uk-uk-uk-uk......)[/Popeye laugh]