Does anyone have experience with probiotics causing diarrhoea?

Jools Holland

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I had a drink with probiotics in it and then had diarrhoea about an hour later. I know this wasn't because of what I was eating at the same time because I have those foods all the time without any consequence. Has anyone had this experience?

I had a drink with probiotics in it and then had diarrhoea about an hour later. I know this wasn't because of what I was eating at the same time because I have those foods all the time without any consequence. Has anyone had this experience?
If anything, I thought probiotics did the just the opposite. Did the drink contain dairy? My guess would be it was the dairy that caused it and not the probiotics. Many people are sensitive to dairy and have that reaction.

If anything, I thought probiotics did the just the opposite. Did the drink contain dairy? My guess would be it was the dairy that caused it and not the probiotics. Many people are sensitive to dairy and have that reaction.

There was no dairy. It was in the plant-based section of the supermarked.

Reactions: KLS52
IMHO, probiotics are a waste of money.
There is little to no evidence that they do any good
In fact, there is some evidence that they don't even survive the trip through the stomach.
Also, our gut bacteria is a complicated interdependent collection of hundreds (maybe thousands) of species of bacteria. Even the best most expensive probiotics just have a 10 or 20.
Maybe after being treated with an antibiotic, they might be a good idea. Like planting pine trees after a forest fire. But the best thing you can do for your intestinal flora is to eat a variety of plant foods and not much sugar or fat.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
My son used to complain of digestion problems like IBS so I bought him probiotics. He wouldn't take them, so I did. I never normal digestion and elimination and it takes some really bad food to cause problems, but the next day I absolutely did - really bad smelly gas, abdominal pain and soft stools. Things I haven't experienced since eating meat.
There are different gut bacteria in meat/dairy eaters and plant based eaters. I have no idea about the different strains that are in the many variaties of probiotics, I only know that gut biome is why many have trouble initially switching diets

I never saw any difference, good or bad, when I took probiotics.

A farmer at a local market told me her little boy had some digestive issues so she gave him some probiotics but that only made it worse.

There are so many types of probiotic pills, but I've never heard the differences in the strains.
I've always wondered about that--vegans have very different gut biomes than meat and/or dairy eaters

I used to take probiotics. Never noticed anything good or bad. Then I heard a doctor on a podcast talking about he thought they were pretty useless. Just another case of the supplement industry selling us on something. I don't think there is any medical/scientific evidence that they do anything.
Maybe if you just finished a course of antibiotics it might be a good idea to jump start your biota. Antibiotics can cause diarrhea.