Do you have a Staple Food in your Diet?

thisnthat

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Is there that one 'go to' food that is the first one you're likely to reach for when you're hungry or when you want to cook? Is there that one item that is always in your cupboard, fridge, or pantry? Many people have a staple food, so if you do, what is yours?

I think mine is lettuce. Some sort of lettuce is a must have for me.

Reactions: Andy_T
Hm...I think bread. I know people go on and on about the horrors of gluten, and it's probably true, but I love me some bread. I'm always eating sandwiches, or even bread on it's own. Toast is great too.

Reactions: thisnthat
I guess mine is probably onions (not counting my spices).

I had been going to say potatoes or rice even, or even pasta, but when thought about every meal (I don't really count breakfast) I realised that every meal somehow contains onions in this household. The first thing I usually do is to chop and cook onions before any meal is made. Even my homemade bean pate has ground onion powder in it! (I did try using fresh onions but couldn't get the same flavour). Tomatoes come high on the list after potatoes, rice, pasta, bread (homemade) and spices, but I think onions have to be at the top of it.

Reactions: thisnthat
Sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are always my go to when I can't come up with anything else to eat. There's so many things you can do with them, too.

I love my noodles and pasta and I can have a bowl with soy sauce or pasta with oil and black pepper. I also can eat a can of sweetcorn in one go and add it to all my meals as it will go with just about everything. Ever since I was a child I have loved sweetcorn and I have never tired of eating it.

Broccoli is mine. I'll eat it raw, boiled, steamed, sauteed, or baked. It doesn't matter. I have to have it.

Like apparently many others, I am partial to pasta! I love my carbs, and just a small serving with some Earth balance butter substitute will satisfy my cravings and keep me full!

I also adore eating banana with almond butter. I love it because the way I eat it requires no clean up - only a knife! I just spoon the almond butter out of the jar and onto the banana and take bites as I go. Great as a healthy and delicious light breakfast or snack.

Potatoes of any kind. You can get creative with toppings and they are easy and quick to zap in the microwave if you are short on time. My favorite toppings are hummus or vegan chili. So good. I also love to make oven fries.

Is there that one 'go to' food that is the first one you're likely to reach for when you're hungry or when you want to cook? Is there that one item that is always in your cupboard, fridge, or pantry? Many people have a staple food, so if you do, what is yours?

I think mine is lettuce. Some sort of lettuce is a must have for me.
Avocados for us. you can eat with so many different foods, it's very healthy and filling. Our favorite is guacamole we have to eat that several days a week!

First of all, I had a giggle that your staple food is lettuce! It's so unsubstantial, mineral dense of course but I could not have lettuce as my staple ;)
I have two staples, rice and bananas, both very calorie dense, both very cheap, and one very nutritious. I do prefer white rice to brown rice, I know it's not as healthy but I do love it and I have put aside so many other things in my dietary choices that I do allow myself white rice often :)

Hm...I think bread. I know people go on and on about the horrors of gluten, and it's probably true, but I love me some bread. I'm always eating sandwiches, or even bread on it's own. Toast is great too.
Lion, have you ever tried to bake your own bread?
My wife has started to bake sourdough bread, and it is quite awesome.
Definitely worth a try...

Banana Spaz here! lol. Or any fruit for that matter. It's my answer to almost every question haha..

I am usually snacking on almonds or eating some kind of fruit. I would say my go to is probably the super red apples that have the sweetest taste. I can't resist making a small fruit salad with cool whip on a cold or even hot day. It even works as a perfect snack while I watch TV!

Being of Asian origin rice will never go out of style for me. Also, I've been drinking a cup of coffee a day I don't I can live without it now. I also can't imagine life without almonds I snack on it all the time in the sofa, at work and even when I'm on vacations I still look for it poolside.

Tofu for me. It would probably be seitan, but I have to travel farther to find seitan. Tofu is so versatile and cheap, it's sold almost everywhere, and I really don't ever get sick of it. It easily absorbs the flavor of whatever you cook it with, so it can be used in almost anything.

If I'm feeling super lazy I'll even just season it and crumble it on a salad sort of like feta.