Do guys go after vegans?

KateC

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So here is my question: I have been vegan for about 6 months and vegetarian for a year prior. I met up with one of my friends that joined the Marines. He has always had a thing for me but I turned him down. Anyways, we had a nice visit and he invited me to eat with his high school friends. He acted slightly flirtatious and his friends thought we were together. It was one of those restaurants that I never would have picked because of their lack of vegan options so I was making a DIY salad of sorts. They saw me writing it out so I could get it straight in my head. His friend asked what I was doing. Before I was able to respond my friend smirked to the guys and said "she's a vegan." What shocked me the most was their responses. One guy yelled out "dude you sacked a vegan? Nice!"
Obviously that was inappropriate, but I was I was shocked because I had never heard of people going after vegans. Is this something a lot of people find? Or is it just some weird thing between his rude friends?

Last edited:
What was your response? I would have been lost for words.
I was too. I just said that we were not together and that was very rude. I also gave my friend an earful on the ride back to my apartment.

Marine Corp? high school friends?

They probably have some kind of contest and vegans are worth extra points.
Or am I showing unnecessary bias?

Hey, just remembered this scene in Veronica Mars. At a dorm hall party.

Marine Corp? high school friends?

They probably have some kind of contest and vegans are worth extra points.
Or am I showing unnecessary bias?

Hey, just remembered this scene in Veronica Mars. At a dorm hall party.

The video tho... xD

I assume that's what happened I just never heard of anything like that specifically with vegans

It's just a wild guess on my part. And maybe just that one guy was a dufus. But I thought the video was humorous.

• Haha
Reactions: KateC
I personally can't believe this is even a conversation. Seriously??? You are upset because someone said "dude, you sacked a vegan". I actually tend not to believe that even occurred, but ok. Here's my thing...let's say it did happen. Grow up. If you are a true vegan, you should be aware of the absolute torture and degradation these animals go through every day. I think that should be the focus...not how your feelings might have gotten hurt. A real vegan does not make the current situation about themselves.

Anybody up for some real conversation about veganism, instead of "oh, it is all about me and someone said something about me being a vegan and now I'm all butt-hurt"?

Anybody up for some real conversation about veganism, instead of "oh, it is all about me and someone said something about me being a vegan and now I'm all butt-hurt"?
Wow. What an ***. It's nice that you assume things after 1 post on a forum. It was a serious question, I wasn't hurt about anything. I didn't know if other people ran into this type of thing as well. Many of my vegan friends had similar conversations and we just wanted some insight.

iu

Wow. What an ***. It's nice that you assume things after 1 post on a forum. It was a serious question, I wasn't hurt about anything. I didn't know if other people ran into this type of thing as well. Many of my vegan friends had similar conversations and we just wanted some insight.
Just a heads up. Veganism is not about you. It is about the animals. They don't have the luxury of being slightly offended on a night out. You want to call names??? I can think of some...vapid, point-misser, self-absorbed...I could go on.

Just a heads up. Veganism is not about you. It is about the animals. They don't have the luxury of being slightly offended on a night out. You want to call names??? I can think of some...vapid, point-misser, self-absorbed...I could go on.
I guess that is more than one post now, isn't it?

So sorry that you had a bad night out. The animals being slaughtered have it a little worse. Sorry if I can't find it in myself to make you feel all soft and protected. Jesus!

I don't think there's a general rule with this. Some men really hate it because they feel threatened that you're going to cut into their faux macho meat eating (ok, well bye Felicia) and some "tolerate" or even try to appease it, even while reassuring you that they will "eat anything" and "don't eat a lot of vegetables" like I'm on a diet rather than having an ethical lifestyle and they think it's cute because I'm female, and they'll take me out to the vegan restaurant to impress me, BUT at the end of the day, they want me to know they are so very manly in their animal consumption. Whatever. I've experienced both of these things.

I did have one guy I went on a few dates with express relief that I was a vegan, because he was a lifelong vegetarian raised by his parents and his kids were vegetarian too, and he was afraid of dating someone who might try to feed his children meat. But that didn't work out. Still, there are vegetarians who will be happy about it for various reasons.

There definitely could be some guys who fetishize it, which is weird if they are omnis, but ok.

Reactions: KateC
So sorry that you had a bad night out. The animals being slaughtered have it a little worse. Sorry if I can't find it in myself to make you feel all soft and protected. Jesus!

Have you been drinking? No judgement, I drink sometimes too, but your posts aren't really in relation to anything the OP said it's like you don't understand and are just kind of going off "in the zone."

Some (dumb) Marines have problems keeping their mouths shut. Sadly there's a loud minority with what I like to call a compensation complex. Usually, these are the ones that don't "sack" anyone, so have to talk like its casual.

Either way, the future is ours. You could kinda say the Marine Corps and Vegans are similar:
Once a Marine, always a Marine.
Once a Vegan, always a Vegan.***

***Real vegans don't quit veganism.