Discomfort in social and family situations with meat-eating? I am

VeganRachel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Raw vegan
I am a multi-year ethical vegan and to me, veganism is a commitment to the animals, environment, and humanity as a whole.
I wanted to be social and went to some restaurants, and to family holiday celebrations. But every time
there were the dead animals at the meals. In restaurants I had to find something I could eat, and were few choices. Yes, i tried indian
restaurants and I could get veggies or beans. Yet there was always the sight and smell of animals. And knowing the kitchen was cooking
animal parts in many pots and pans. So, i became more and more uncomfortable with these mealtimes. I felt I was comforming my values
in order to socialize with others. They were casually eating their meals and I was grossed out by the sights and sounds. I was the only vegan at the table.
No one else understood. After doing this for years, I decided that I just want mealtimes to be vegan, or at the very least, vegetarian. I understand
this in its' own way, IS limiting, as food is a part of all social events, and 99.7% of all places serve dead animals as food.
Humans WANT to go out to eat, have you over for dinner, and socialize around food. I get it. And I admit I am not that fond of eating out to
begin with, not being from a large city where there ARE vegan restaurants. But, as one friend pointed out, "you are not eating it, so what is the
harm of being in the restaurant (gathering, etcetera)?". It is knowing the meal is centered around the pain and suffering of animals, that I am
looking at it, smelling it, watching others chew on it.
I understand that many "failed" vegans fail because they cannot handle the pressure and stigma of being different. They do not want to be
the outsider, make things wierd. So, they eat animals to fit in. To be 'normal' again. There is a lot of social pressure out there for sure. Societies see
eating animals as normal.
I am NOT eating animals again, but am simply writing to see if there are others who have faced similar issues. Those who do not want to be in
situations where dead animals are served. I know many vegans socialize with family and friends around meat-centered meals. That is okay if it
is your choice to do so.
I want to reach people with a vegan lifestyle message. I do not want to isolate myself, so this is a sensitive issue. But when humans are eating their
meals they are not interested in a vegan message! they want to have their meal and be left alone. I know I am going to host vegan potlucks where
everyone is welcome, just bring a vegan dish. No dead animals allowed. That to me is socializing. What do you think of these issues?. Peace.

I am a multi-year ethical vegan and to me, veganism is a commitment to the animals, environment, and humanity as a whole.
I wanted to be social and went to some restaurants, and to family holiday celebrations. But every time
there were the dead animals at the meals. In restaurants I had to find something I could eat, and were few choices. Yes, i tried indian
restaurants and I could get veggies or beans. Yet there was always the sight and smell of animals. And knowing the kitchen was cooking
animal parts in many pots and pans. So, i became more and more uncomfortable with these mealtimes. I felt I was comforming my values
in order to socialize with others. They were casually eating their meals and I was grossed out by the sights and sounds. I was the only vegan at the table.
No one else understood. After doing this for years, I decided that I just want mealtimes to be vegan, or at the very least, vegetarian. I understand
this in its' own way, IS limiting, as food is a part of all social events, and 99.7% of all places serve dead animals as food.
Humans WANT to go out to eat, have you over for dinner, and socialize around food. I get it. And I admit I am not that fond of eating out to
begin with, not being from a large city where there ARE vegan restaurants. But, as one friend pointed out, "you are not eating it, so what is the
harm of being in the restaurant (gathering, etcetera)?". It is knowing the meal is centered around the pain and suffering of animals, that I am
I understand that many "failed" vegans fail because they cannot handle the pressure and stigma of being different. They do not want to be
the outsider, make things wierd. So, they eat animals to fit in. To be 'normal' again. There is a lot of social pressure out there for sure. Societies see

I am NOT eating animals again, but am simply writing to see if there are others who have faced similar issues. Those who do not want to be in
situations where dead animals are served. I know many vegans socialize with family and friends around meat-centered meals. That is okay if it
is your choice to do so.
I want to reach people with a vegan lifestyle message. I do not want to isolate myself, so this is a sensitive issue. But when humans are eating their
meals they are not interested in a vegan message! they want to have their meal and be left alone. I know I am going to host vegan potlucks where
everyone is welcome, just bring a vegan dish. No dead animals allowed. That to me is socializing. What do you think of these issues?. Peace.
I was with you until I read the boldened--that really got to me, and I immediately associated it with what I'm now dealing with--right wingers I work with! I never had to deal with that before now, my old job coworkers and I shared the same ideologies, but now, I feel like the odd one out. I certainly don't want to rock the boat, or open a can of worms, so to speak, burn bridges I can't cross. I have succumbed to quiet when they start their rants, and pretty much just say I feel differently, but leave that discussion to another time. Maybe sometime when it's not so heated.

Anyway, I only allude to this mindset difference because i don't have the issue of feeling leftout as a vegan. I rarely go to restaurants with friends, and when we do they ask me to choose because they won't be left out, where I would be. Sometimes I've dealt with big gatherings at steakhouses, thats pretty miserable. I thought ahead and put menthol rub in my nostrils.

When I had my kids I did waiver being veg'n due to outside influences, and didn't raise them veg'n--but it was more because I wasn't completely sure of nutrition, but also because I have enough oddities that I didn't want to subject my kids to any more. If I had to do it over again I would have changed that.

I completely agree that it's not a subject to discuss at meals, so yes, stay away from toxic people as much as possible!
Most people I know are very open to plant based eating-esp quitting dairy-for health, so it's easy to talk about food. It isn't easy to talk about ethics though, but whatever the reason, it's all good

I'm pretty much a solitary person, I have to force myself to socialize enough as it is, so I'm not much help

• Sad
Reactions: FlandersOD
I was with you until I read the boldened--that really got to me, and I immediately associated it with what I'm now dealing with--right wingers I work with! I never had to deal with that before now, my old job coworkers and I shared the same ideologies, but now, I feel like the odd one out. I certainly don't want to rock the boat, or open a can of worms, so to speak, burn bridges I can't cross. I have succumbed to quiet when they start their rants, and pretty much just say I feel differently, but leave that discussion to another time. Maybe sometime when it's not so heated.

Anyway, I only allude to this mindset difference because i don't have the issue of feeling leftout as a vegan. I rarely go to restaurants with friends, and when we do they ask me to choose because they won't be left out, where I would be. Sometimes I've dealt with big gatherings at steakhouses, thats pretty miserable. I thought ahead and put menthol rub in my nostrils.

When I had my kids I did waiver being veg'n due to outside influences, and didn't raise them veg'n--but it was more because I wasn't completely sure of nutrition, but also because I have enough oddities that I didn't want to subject my kids to any more. If I had to do it over again I would have changed that.

I completely agree that it's not a subject to discuss at meals, so yes, stay away from toxic people as much as possible!
Most people I know are very open to plant based eating-esp quitting dairy-for health, so it's easy to talk about food. It isn't easy to talk about ethics though, but whatever the reason, it's all good

I'm pretty much a solitary person, I have to force myself to socialize enough as it is, so I'm not much help
Thanks Silva. Some humans are extroverts, some introverts for sure. Some are both like me; and I dislike labels.
I do like my alone and quiet time as well, but do like being with others in certain situations. Part of me simply wants
others to be open to learning about what information I can share. But we are all
habitual about our addictions and fear change. I have had others try to get me to socialize more with their friends
and I retreated, so change works both ways. I understand many do not want to know the truth about eating
animals. I think they know the truth deep down inside but it is too much to realize.
Yes, some are more open minded than others and accommodate.
I was invited to my dogsitters home twice for dinner years ago. I went and was very happy she only had
vegetables for dinner. That was so sweet of her. She may not have known what else to fix but it was very considerate
of her to do that in my honor. I was grateful for that.
Studies show that the right-wingers in general are very pro-meat and dominant, interesting personality habits for sure.
Can you ask the Righters if they love their dogs and cats, and hate to see them in pain?. Would they watch "Earthlings"
documentary and see if that reflects ethics and morality? christian?
Jeshua and his family were Essenes, and were all vegetarian. Jeshua fed the masses with GRAPES and bread. "FIsh" mentioned
was not real fish, but bread baked in fish molds for holy days. Also back then they ate seaweed which some may have referred
to as fish. Jeshua did not eat the dead. Jeshua was hated because he shared the spiritual (not dogma) truth. One week before Passover
he went to the temple of jerusalem to disrupt the selling of animals who would be sacrificed a week later in the bloody temple.
Thousands of animals were sacrificed for profit, to absolve humans of their mistakes, called "sins". Yet the animals are not responsible
for our mistakes, WE are.
The whole town profited from animal sacrifices, so when Jeshua drove the humans (and animals) out. They were really angry. Then a week later
Jeshua was ritually sacrificed. I am not religious, but am spiritual. Jeshua was sacrificed because he tried to protest animal sacrifices in
his fathers house. He thought he could end them
Faunalytics.org has some great studies to view and read about veganism and related subjects.
I grew up in an omnivore home. My parents did the best they could but they raised us eating animals. I am the only vegan in the family,
been so for over twenty years and never regretted the decision. I am proud of my tenacity and strength and commitment. I love me.
It always amazes me what omnivores overlook that is so normal in society, like the sight and smell of animals
in every store, restaurant and eatery. They believe it smells GOOD and stimulates their appetite, that it is normal.
So then vegans are arrogant? when omnivore arrogance is all over the world where food is. Quite amazing.
namaste', rachel

Thank you for your thoughts. I am amazed no one else commented on my post.
It takes a strong human to be vegan, it really does. Congrats. Being different in a world where more humans are conforming
as omnivores, takes courage. The same courage it took thousands of years ago with the Essenes, Gnostics and
Cathars to be vegetarian in Jeshua's time. Some humans do not realize how cruel they are to laugh at vegans and enjoy
their animal products. The empathy is lacking. If they worked in a slaughterhouse for a week.....
I am not a conformist. Just because other humans are comfortable and like eating animals does not mean I will join
in. I believe in my morals and ethics about being vegan. Smelling the dead cooking is a horrible experience. It is very difficult
to be around that, I agree. Few humans can understand because they instead, smell "food" and it stimulates their appetite.
Yet I smell pain and suffering......the same as if a roasted dog were placed on a dinner table.
I honestly wonder, how many humans would know if they were eating human flesh, or non-human flesh?. Flesh is flesh and
we are all animals. About 100-150 years ago some citizens in Russia were starving. There was nothing to eat. They literally started eating
dead humans because that is all there was. Butchers all of a sudden had "flesh" for sale, but it was not chicken or pig. Cannibalism
has happened many times in human history because of famine or drought. I do not believe in eating any flesh, but this fact horrifies most of us.....

is your choice to do so.
I have been a vegan for a year now. I found that people cannot be changed by us by our talking. only possibly by our example and then they can decide for themselves. I find arguing , excuses, defensive behavior. I am talking about people at work. They are not friendly to me towards my changes, seems like they are self protecting against me and that's all it comes to with them. People are not willing to change to vegan in my personal experience. even though it is the right thing to do.

Reactions: vesper818
Thank you for your thoughts. I am amazed no one else commented on my post.
It takes a strong human to be vegan, it really does. Congrats. Being different in a world where more humans are conforming
as omnivores, takes courage. The same courage it took thousands of years ago with the Essenes, Gnostics and
Cathars to be vegetarian in Jeshua's time. Some humans do not realize how cruel they are to laugh at vegans and enjoy
their animal products. The empathy is lacking. If they worked in a slaughterhouse for a week.....
I am not a conformist. Just because other humans are comfortable and like eating animals does not mean I will join
in. I believe in my morals and ethics about being vegan. Smelling the dead cooking is a horrible experience. It is very difficult
to be around that, I agree. Few humans can understand because they instead, smell "food" and it stimulates their appetite.
Yet I smell pain and suffering......the same as if a roasted dog were placed on a dinner table.
I honestly wonder, how many humans would know if they were eating human flesh, or non-human flesh?. Flesh is flesh and
we are all animals. About 100-150 years ago some citizens in Russia were starving. There was nothing to eat. They literally started eating
dead humans because that is all there was. Butchers all of a sudden had "flesh" for sale, but it was not chicken or pig. Cannibalism
has happened many times in human history because of famine or drought. I do not believe in eating any flesh, but this fact horrifies most of us.....
Yes. But they are thriving on ignoring , not seeing, feeling, hearing, about all the bad parts about it which is everything exept for their personal dinnertime. They know, they have to know how cruel it is. I did know that before I was vegan. If they care like I did then they are stuck and dont know they can thrive without animal products. Or they dont care like i did.

Yes. But they are thriving on ignoring , not seeing, feeling, hearing, about all the bad parts about it which is everything exept for their personal dinnertime. They know, they have to know how cruel it is. I did know that before I was vegan. If they care like I did then they are stuck and dont know they can thrive without animal products. Or they dont care like i did.
Congratulations on your decision. It truly takes courage and a shift in consciousness to change and to make animals, important.
Its' amazing how we ignore things when we habitually do something that society accepts, but when we shift we notice what really
goes on. Ther light bulb goes on in our heads. They are not friendly toward your change; thats' very typical. All of a sudden you are not part of the crowd, you are an outsider, and you remind them, even subtley, that they are participating in violence, while you are not. They do not want to hear you tell them about animals suffering, so maybe talk about health benefits. Amazing that they love their dogs but would not eat them. You must be aware that the only food choices that can reverse E.D. is a healthy vegan diet. Remove the cause and you have a cure.
I know what that is like to make people uncomfortable, even though I am not confrontational.
Some humans are willing to change, but many prefer to ignore the truth. It took me a few times to realize my palate was not as
important as animal lives. I was so used to eating them and not considering what they go through. I have a friend who likes eating
animals. When I even mention what animals go through she says "I know". But she doesn't, she has no clue. She told me she could not
kill the animals she eats. Her eating "happy" or "humane" animals does not stop their enslavement or make them happy in the slaughterhouse.
It is easier to continue our behavior than to acknowledge our participation. So some humans use the excuse of eating the "pastured"
animals; that makes the whole process, okay, because its' not a factory farm. I am noticing more and more humans making this choice.
The animals therefore were happy --before they went to the slaughterhouse. The denial of suffering always amazes me...cheers

My family has been supportive with it. But my coworkers at work have become hostile and singled me out. I can no longer sit and eat or break with them. I will never try to advocate veganism since it causes hostility to me and makes me a victim as well as the animals. I will always be vegan since i fully understand the situation involved in the enslavement of animals for food and anything people want. I will never be a part of that again.

My family has been supportive with it. But my coworkers at work have become hostile and singled me out. I can no longer sit and eat or break with them. I will never try to advocate veganism since it causes hostility to me and makes me a victim as well as the animals. I will always be vegan since i fully understand the situation involved in the enslavement of animals for food and anything people want. I will never be a part of that again.
Thank you for what you are. Did your coworkers get hostile because you told them why you were vegan, or about animal suffering?.
It always amazes me how the truth really makes humans uncomfortable. Until someone points out the facts, versus the lies,
we continue our behaviors that harm others. However change is possible but so scary for many of us, we stick to the familiar, and 'normal".
I went to the "vegetarian summerfest" several times in PA. I felt so comfortable there
because there were hundreds of humans in one place that were also vegan (or vegetarian). Then I went back to the real world.
I want to live in a vegan world where everyone, understands. cheers.

Thank you for your kind words and wise information. I think I am learning that it is better to stop talking about the vegan stuff to non vegans, it only seems to offend and annoy them. I am glad i'm not one of them anymore. My eyes have really opened up even more since a year vegan.

Reactions: Emma JC
is your choice to do so.
Avoid meeting people anywhere where their is food.
Arrange to meet the people in your life away from food.

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind words and wise information. I think I am learning that it is better to stop talking about the vegan stuff to non vegans, it only seems to offend and annoy them. I am glad i'm not one of them anymore. My eyes have really opened up even more since a year vegan.
I understand. However there are other ways to reach humans. You can talk about how much you love animals, such as your cat
or dog. How humans love to help animals in need, such as a deer caught in a fence, a stray dog, or helping ducklings get out
of a sewer pipe. Another angle is health benefits; reduced weight, lowering heart disease, cancer, diabetes. And no offense,
but a whole food vegan diet seems to be the only way to reverse physical erectile dysfunction. Eventually the humans in
your office will certainly have health problems and will end up taking 4-5 drugs as solutions. They also have friends or relatives
who can go through that. The choice is yours', but humans do not want someone reminding us that we are harming animals by
eating them; thats' what we vegans share with them. We also want to avoid any information that makes us change.
There is also the option for people to try a 21 or 30 day vegan challenge and try veganism online....cheers

Unless maybe you invite them to your place for vegan food and explain why you can not eat anywhere else.
Thanks for saying the truth! you rock!.
How long vegan? does your birth family support what you do? are you married and what about your spouse,
children....?
Its' true, most humans do not want to hear vegan messages. But we must speak up, however we are
comfortable, around humans. When I mention I am vegan (many years), most women reply with a
somewhat defensive "I don't eat much meat" statement. And its' hard to know what too say, like "isnt
that wonderful for you", or "but what is not much and would you trade place with that animal?".
Most humans do not smoke cigarettes and many are offended by the smell of them, especially at mealtime.
How many humans would enjoy their meal as nonsmokers, if they kept going to a restaurant and having many
customers lighting up their cancer-ettes after they finished their meal?. This is somewhat what vegans feel when
going to restaurants that serve the dead. Its' not a perfect analogy, but hopefully puts the idea across.
So many humans LOVE their cats and dogs and get upset when they are ill. But they are totally disconnected
to the sentience and suffering of flesh and blood from animals they eat. The industry has deliberately de-humanized
the dead animals they profit from. As long as humans ignore the suffering of animals, they will see the slab of flesh
as food, meals, not whole. But when you do not want to listen and hear, its' convenient to ignore the facts.
I believe animal ag is very threatened by veganism and over many years has hired hundreds of trolls who scan
forums on this channel, social media sites, video sites, and many other places. They can make nasty comments about
veganism, lie, pretend they are "ex-vegans", support macho meat-eating, talk about malnutrition, animals killed by
crops, and other excuse topics.

Avoid meeting people anywhere where their is food.
Arrange to meet the people in your life away from food.
I think that again we can talk about related topics (God forbid we offend anyone who wants to eat the dead, right?).
Dogs, cats, horses are sentient animals like farm animals...health problems associated with eating the dead, dairy,
and eggs. Please lets understand that worldwide, Erectile Dysfunction does not happen because of avocado's, walnuts,
peanuts or flax seeds. It is directly resulting from human consumption of saturated fats, especially all animal fats and
cholesterol found in all animal products. Please mention to males that E.D. is a warning sign of heart disease in 2-3
years. Most guys do not know this is true.
Food is an essential part of societies. We celebrate holidays, births, deaths and in-between, we go on dates
to restaurants, go to brunch, etcetera. And wherever there is food, sadly, there are plates of flesh and blood--the satanic
blood sacrifice of animals--what Yeshua protested and he was murdered for.
I was raised in an omnivore family, so were my parents and their parents, etcetera. We have been brainwashed and
conditioned to accept this violent way of eating as normal. Most humans are conformists and do not know it. They need
to think for themselves versus repeating and repeating unkind and unhealthy habits. But they have free-will and choose. Cheers.

Its so difficult, I get it...
I try and view my omni friends and relatives like I do our cats and dogs eating their dinners... I always think "ewww how could you eat that" and try not to look at it... hard to ignore I know..
So yeah, try and imagine you are sitting at a table of large cats or wolves.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
Its so difficult, I get it...
I try and view my omni friends and relatives like I do our cats and dogs eating their dinners... I always think "ewww how could you eat that" and try not to look at it... hard to ignore I know..
So yeah, try and imagine you are sitting at a table of large cats or wolves.
ha ha thats' one way to look at it. however don't you believe your needs are important and should be respected
and accomodated? how about a vegan dinner where everyone participates? if you get my point, with food socializing,
it always seems that its' the vegan who has to be accomodating and tolerant. Imagine your guests at your dinner
table, you come out of the kitchen with a roasted dog on a platter...watch them shriek and yell in horror. Now you
get their attention!.

• Sad
Reactions: Freesia
ha ha thats' one way to look at it. however don't you believe your needs are important and should be respected
and accomodated? how about a vegan dinner where everyone participates? if you get my point, with food socializing,
it always seems that its' the vegan who has to be accomodating and tolerant. Imagine your guests at your dinner
table, you come out of the kitchen with a roasted dog on a platter...watch them shriek and yell in horror. Now you
get their attention!.

Im just not sure it is easy to influence people, I have tried. Anyway people do cook vegan food for me sometimes, so I take it as that way of accommodating me..

Im just not sure it is easy to influence people, I have tried. Anyway people do cook vegan food for me sometimes, so I take it as that way of accommodating me..
Speaking as an omnivore, if I invited a vegan to my home I would expect to serve them a vegan meal, and it’s 50:50 whether I would cook vegan for the whole party. If I am invited to a vegan’s home I expect to be served a vegan meal.

Since my eldest son and his girlfriend are vegans, this is a regular occurrence. It has its challenges, but I find it helps me improve the variety and breadth of my cooking.