Did going vegan make you a better cook?

Did going vegan make you a better cook?

• Total voters
I can't make good (regular) brownies either.

I always sub applesauce for some of the oil and sub the eggs with various things, but I never get the texture right. Instead I chuck in dark chocolate chunks and chopped nuts so no one cares. :)

Reactions: KLS52
Thank you so much -both the brownie recipes look so easy and delicious. If I hadn't just had a bar of chocolate (oops) I would make one now!

Me, too, but I just ate three oatmeal-banana-chocolate chip bars, lol! Maybe tomorrow.

I was just baking some cakes... and it occurred to me that my baking has definitely improved due to being vegan. I bake a couple of times a week, and it's usually just because I want to eat cake and there isn't any, rather than for fun (although I do bake for fun too, but if I was baking for fun, it's probably be more of a fortnightly kinda thing), so I bake much more frequently due to being unable to walk to the local corner shop or cafe and buy a variety of delicious cakes. Also, I've learnt a lot more about what the ingredients in baking are for, in order to replace them easily.

Last edited:
^^^ I like your dedication to cake-eating. I often want to eat cake, but rarely want to bake cake... I'm much more likely to cook meal things than bake dessert things. Which is crazy.

I love to do both. :). I do give away most of what I bake (take it work, etc.,), because I just love to bake and I don't want to eat all that sugar by myself. But I always reserve a bit for myself. Yesterday, I sent my friends home with raisin spice cake and oatmeal-banana-chocolate chip bars. I still have six bars for me, :D. It makes a whole 13x9-inch pan's worth. A lot of bars, lol.

YES! It inspired me to start cooking delicious tasty (but healthy stuff) vegan dishes to help others make the transition to being vegan.
I became a vegan chef and started catering for retreats and recently published my first vegan recipe book 'Trinity's Conscious Kitchen' which is rather exciting.

So, absolutely.

Reactions: PTree15
I'm not vegan. However since I've dropped the omni ingredients when cooking or baking, I haven't improved neither my skills or recipe repertoire.
I also have some difficultes to find substitutes especially egg whites for baking. Cheese also is difficult to substitute when making savoury recipes.

I'm not vegan. However since I've dropped the omni ingredients when cooking or baking, I haven't improved neither my skills or recipe repertoire.
I also have some difficultes to find substitutes especially egg whites for baking. Cheese also is difficult to substitute when making savoury recipes.
The one pie I really miss is lemon meringue. I haven't tried to find a vegan recipe, mostly because I'm skeptical it could ever taste as good as the one made with eggs and egg whites. But you never know. I'm still trying to perfect vegan fudge. I'm getting close, but it's still not how I like it. My family loves it, which is great, but it's just OK in my book.

I want to try this so bad...vegan lemon meringue pie!

Oh, they make it look so easy, lol. It does look fabulous! Thanks for posting that.

^^^ I like your dedication to cake-eating. I often want to eat cake, but rarely want to bake cake... I'm much more likely to cook meal things than bake dessert things. Which is crazy.

How about making a mug cake? 1 portion and microwaveable, easy.

Recipe for the microwave brownie I make : http://soychick.com/foods/recipes/oowy-gooey-1-minute-vegan-chocolate-mug-cake/ (the water amount is wrong, its way too little, i just put water in til it looks like a cake mix). and if im feeling really lazy i make it in a paper cup, wasteful but saves trying to get brownie out of a mug.

It really depends upon what you mean by "better". It certainly changed my habits as a cook. I detested having to handle animal products and used to wear gloves whenever I had to. So, I find cooking so much more enjoyable now. But I also find myself being more resourceful and, if anything, I've learned to cook much simpler recipes since I am cooking much more often and not just when "I feel like it".

Oh, and tofu and I have come to terms in the kitchen.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I think I'm an anomaly here ..

It was becoming a better cook that first turned me vegetarian.

Literally!

Wasn't untill after I had 'mastered' (lol!) several cooking styles and the use of many 'unusual' ingredients that I realised how dull meat actualy was.

Spent a month, purely to improve my skills with all things veg, eating exclusively from a vegetarian cook book.

'Detoxed' during that month and have never eaten meat since then.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52