Desi Indian Cows Milk vs Hybrids

hindu

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Hello!

I didn't knew where to post this question hence i posted it here.

Does anyone have knowledge about desi Indian cows and specialty in their milk and why is their milk different from other hybrids like jersey cows etc.

Thanks

Vegans don’t do milk. So, the probability of your finding any expertise here about different breeds of milking cow is virtually nil.

Similarly, vegans don’t do eggs. So, if you want to know if keeping Rhode Island Reds is a better choice than Sussexs for someone who wants both eggs and meat then this is the wrong place.

Nor do we do wool. So, if you want to know if a Herdwick is more likely to survive harsh winter conditions than a Swaledale you are unlikely to find your answer here.

However, if you want to know about compassion for animals then you have come to exactly the right place. :)

Roger.

(Raises hand).
I know. I know.

First off its mostly BS. I'll get into it but the final takeaway is, that it is mostly BS.

Desi Indian cows are almost extinct. The jersey cow produces more milk so they have been bred with Jerseys. The true Desi cows that are left in India are mostly owned by families or small villages. Pretty much subsistent farming/ranching. and these cows are typically malnourished and provide little milk.

Recently the interest in Desi cows has started because of the A2 milk fad. There are two types of proteins in milk. We can call them A1 and A2. And A1 is way more common. Some very sketchy and small medical studies, mostly funded by private corporations who are tiring to promote A2 milk claim to have found that A2 has some kind of advantages: Easier digestibility and brain development. But these advantages need to be taken with a grain of salt because of the sketchiness of the studies. It would be nice if this fad somehow produced more income for poor Indian farmers or perhaps slowed the extinction of the Desi cow. but most A2 milk bought in America is specially produced by dairy that raises desi/jersey hybrids. But I just checked and it turns out that India does have a small exports business.

Vegans are convinced that cow's milk (of any kind) is not essential or necessary for good health. In fact, it might actually be detrimental. Anyone who has seen Forks over Knives remembers the research on rats and casein. Consumption of dairy has been associated with at least 6 health risks.

And it certainly is bad for the cow. In America, over 80% of the milk comes from factory farms.

Best bet. Stop drinking milk entirely. There are better, healthier, safer, cheaper and more humane ways to get your protein and calcium.