Children Dealing with a social worker

Limes

Dances With Reptiles
Reaction score
So I need help on this ASAP. :woo:

My friend moved from Vancouver to Calgary to live with us, and she has had a record with a social worker there for her kids. She has had her kids taken away a couple of times because of the state of her house. She's a great person, just not very clean. Now her record has been transferred over here, and the social worker sprang on us and said she's coming today at 1 to check out the house.

I've never had an issue before with a social worker, my house is always very tidy and happy place, and I'm terrified to have anything to do with this social worker. I don't want my name to be in their records anywhere. I have a 2 year old son and I am NOT having him taken away because of my friend.

So really, the help I need is, are there any tips or tricks to dealing with a social worker? What sort of things are they looking for, and what do I need to do before they get here?

Exactly, just be honest. If your house is in order, they won't just take your son away. However, I dont see anyway to not get involved or have to deal with social workers, etc, if she is living with you.

They can't just take your son away for no good reason. The visit has nothing to do with you. If your house is tidy, then your friend has nothing to worry about either.

Reactions: jeneticallymodified
'not very clean' would have to be an understatement and a half, for her kids to be taken away on that basis alone. for the most-part, social workers are actual human beings who do their jobs because they care for the welfare of children and their families- honestly- and a huge part of that well-being is keeping families together wherever possible.

you have nothing to be frightened of if you're relatively sane, you make a point not to flip out at the woman, your kid isn't infested with numerous things that are harmful to his health, and your home is roughly this side of squalid... and even you have none of those things on your side, you usually get a grace period within which to sort yourself out. :p

It went very well actually, they were friendly and polite and said we had nothing to worry about. They wanted to stop by and see our new place (we just moved yesterday) to make sure it's safe and then she's off their list! :)

And also, yes, 'not very clean' is a bit of an understatement. The main issue with her place was apparently the animals, as they liked to do their business where ever and she didn't like to clean it up. Eeeeech. I'm glad I never actually saw the place.

And also, yes, 'not very clean' is a bit of an understatement. The main issue with her place was apparently the animals, as they liked to do their business where ever and she didn't like to clean it up. Eeeeech. I'm glad I never actually saw the place.

:cry:

yeah, that sort of thing doesn't mix with small children- they can uh... eat **** and die, so to speak. :(

i'm glad it went ok. :)