Daiya pizza - new sticker with changes

sleepydvdr

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I just bought a Daiya pizza yesterday and will eat it for lunch today. I noticed it had two stickers covering old information. I wouldn't have really paid any attention except for the fact it contained a blackout backing to make it much harder to see what's underneath. That just made more more curious as to what they were trying to hide.

Anyways, it appears to be about 22% heavier by weight (I guess you get more for your money now). The calories are in line with that at about 25% higher. There are fewer and slightly different ingredients. They also removed the disclaimer that it is produced in a gluten free, nut free facility. Is this a different location or did they add products that contain gluten/nuts?

The second sticker at the bottom fixed an obvious problem saying that it is manufactured in Vancouver BC but a product of the USA. As you can see from that section, I wasn't able to get all of the blackout sticker off that portion.

Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I find these changes interesting.

sxqq.jpg

Reactions: Second Summer
I see the Daiya cheese still has safflower oil in it. Safflower oil contains a lot of omega-6 and virtually no omega-3. In fact, it's perhaps the oil with the most omega-6 fats of all cooking oils, with 75% of total fat content. An inconvenient truth for the Daiya fans amongst us.

I just bought a Daiya pizza yesterday and will eat it for lunch today. I noticed it had two stickers covering old information. I wouldn't have really paid any attention except for the fact it contained a blackout backing to make it much harder to see what's underneath. That just made more more curious as to what they were trying to hide.

Anyways, it appears to be about 22% heavier by weight (I guess you get more for your money now). The calories are in line with that at about 25% higher. There are fewer and slightly different ingredients. They also removed the disclaimer that it is produced in a gluten free, nut free facility. Is this a different location or did they add products that contain gluten/nuts?

The second sticker at the bottom fixed an obvious problem saying that it is manufactured in Vancouver BC but a product of the USA. As you can see from that section, I wasn't able to get all of the blackout sticker off that portion.

Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I find these changes interesting.
Well that's a first. :p

Weird..and suspicious.
When I was doing merchandising we had to go in and put stickers on products all the time. When there were changes or mistakes were made, they didn't want to throw away all the old packaging which could be thousands of boxes. It was cheaper and less wasteful to just put a sticker over the old info.

When I was doing merchandising we had to go in and put stickers on products all the time. When there were changes or mistakes were made, they didn't want to throw away all the old packaging which could be thousands of boxes. It was cheaper and less wasteful to just put a sticker over the old info.

That makes sense. When I worked retail we would put new price stickers over old ones when there was a price change. It wasn't always a lower price change though. So there were times when we had to cover up the older lower price with a much higher one.

How is it suspicious? They were just updating boxes/correcting info.

I was looking at the gluten free claim. The first box doesn't state that it is made with a gluten free crust, yet it claims to be made in a gluten/nut free facility. The new label claims that the crust is gluten free , but makes no mention of the facility being gluten free.