Daily nuts & seeds consumption

zki

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Assume a person who's attempting to lower body weight in a slow but healthy fashion. I've ready that a limit of 1/4 cup a day of either nuts and / or seeds is about right.
I bring it up because I often have nuts or seeds in my morning oatmeal and then feel guilty putting peanut butter in my PM smoothie snack...
Helpful comments? Thank you in advance.

Nuts and seeds certainly have a higher concentration of calories, and so easy to overeat!
Have you eliminated all oils? I'd say 1/4 cup of nuts in whatever way you like is fine. I always have a Tblsp of ground flaxseed in my morning smoothie or grains, and often add nuts to a salad.
I find eating wfpb no oil and no sugar will normalize my weight, though I've been off for so long I now have about 25 pounds to lose.

If you want to read all the research on our relationship to food and how our bodies utilize it I highly recommend How Not to Diet by Dr Michael Greger.

Assume a person who's attempting to lower body weight in a slow but healthy fashion. I've ready that a limit of 1/4 cup a day of either nuts and / or seeds is about right.
I bring it up because I often have nuts or seeds in my morning oatmeal and then feel guilty putting peanut butter in my PM smoothie snack...
Helpful comments? Thank you in advance.

I use peanut butter powder in my smoothies and as the powder is around 90% less fat than regular peanut butter I can have my nuts and eat them too. :) I do try to get the kind that has no additives. There are a lot of choices out there and some is very expensive. Amazon is a good place see them all displayed.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and zki
Nuts and seeds certainly have a higher concentration of calories, and so easy to overeat!
Have you eliminated all oils? I'd say 1/4 cup of nuts in whatever way you like is fine. I always have a Tblsp of ground flaxseed in my morning smoothie or grains, and often add nuts to a salad.
I find eating wfpb no oil and no sugar will normalize my weight, though I've been off for so long I now have about 25 pounds to lose.

If you want to read all the research on our relationship to food and how our bodies utilize it I highly recommend How Not to Diet by Dr Michael Greger.
I ordered the book from my library -- thanks

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Gregar recommends 1 tbsp of seeds and 1/4 cup of nuts or 2 tbsp of nut butter a day.
Although these are minimum RDAs I think if you are trying to lose weight, you can consider those Maximums, too.

Reactions: Emma JC