Cutting out dairy

Alexia

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
As a vegetarian I have always tried to limit my dairy intake and reduce it to a bare minimum. Does anyone else do that or do they find they need dairy in their diet?

I have a lactose intolerance so I can't have large quantities, but my dairy intake is limited to cheese on pizzas when I am out, milk and eggs in cakes and I choose to eat eggs for protein still. I know some people rely on cheese, milk and yoghurt, but I find it's possible not to and limit it while still being healthy and enjoying my food.

I don't "need" it per say, it's just in EVERYTHING. If not milk outright, then milk proteins. It's ridiculous. I'm not lactose intolerant, but I get yucked out at just drinking milk. I try to buy alternatives whenever possible, such as Daiya cheese, or coconut milk ice cream, etc. but like I said sometimes it's just impossible. I was at the grocery store and they had little packages of frozen, steamable vegetables and quinoa on sale for like, 5/$5. I picked up a few and they were delicious. It was literally just quinoa and vegetables and spices. I read the ingredients one day out of boredom and there was milk as an ingredient. Who knows why.