Currently an omnivore, want advice on starting out

Faith

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
I'm currently a meat eater and it's something I've felt uncomfortable with for some time now primarily from an animal welfare/ quality of life point of view.
I'm sure a lot of you are going to totally disagree with my thought process but here's where I'm coming from.
I've been thinking about it more and more recently and I think I probably feel more uncomfortable with eating dairy products than I do meat. In a previous job, I had to visit a lot of farms and I was really struck by what an awful life dairy cows had. You might think I'm being really stupid here, but to me, their quality of life looked far worse than the animals being farmed for meat (in terms of their diet and the fact that seeing them go off to the milking parlour twice a day with everything that entails made me realise what an awful life they have). As a first step towards changing my diet (and I know a lot of vegans and vegetarians go through a transition stage), I want to cut out dairy products. I wondered if anyone else has done it that way around or if I'm totally mad? Grateful for any advice/tips/ dietry suggestions on giving up dairy.
Xx

Hi Faith,

Most vegans I know are not judgemental and we are happy to see non-vegans taking steps to improve their life by getting healthier and kinder to the animals and planet.

There are a number of vegan milks, most superstores have them (Tesco, ASDA, Sainsbury, Waitrose) that you can use as substitute. Find which flavour suits you, there are quite a few: rice, oat, soy, cashew, hazelnut, almond (the list goes on).

I like all of them, so I buy whichever is on discount - usually 3 for £3 (£1 / litre).

You could try to reduce meat as well, have it once a week instead of daily for example. There are also vegan meat alternatives: cheeses and creams (like Violife I found in ASDA), yogurt (like Alpro that I found in Tesco and Waitrose), sausages (Linda McCartney in Tesco). These are just examples, there is a huge amount of options.

Hope this gives you some ideas to start with.

Gab

Reactions: Faith