Crochet

Oh how cool on the yarn scores! That's great, and I can't wait to swoon!

Boo on having to unravel your poncho. I know that feeling all too well. But at least with crochet, you can recover pretty quickly.
The thing is, all the poncho patterns I followed that are worked top down warn you to make sure the chain isn't twisted and I typically watch out for that very carefully. I guess none of us are immune to rookie mistakes, now and then.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
The thing is, all the poncho patterns I followed that are worked top down warn you to make sure the chain isn't twisted and I typically watch out for that very carefully. I guess none of us are immune to rookie mistakes, now and then.
Hey, even experienced crocheters are susceptible to that one, hehe. You think you've got it, and then, boom...not. Good that you caught it early enough, though. :)

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I'm seeing so many beautiful ponchos lately! Either long and pointed in front, or rectangular. I wonder If I could do one? It's still chilly and we're expecting a good bit of rain...

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
I like that yarn and pattern. More of a square neck. Very pretty!
Yes, it will be very lovely and lacy and soft once it is made correctly. I am using Bernat Baby Velvet yarn that I picked up on clearance at Michael's for about $3 a skein. They had 2 of the pink, which are 492yd/450m each of a #4 weight.

For the same price I also picked up the last two skeins of Bernat Crushed Velvet yarn in white, which is more of a white/cream blend. That one is a #5 weight with 315yd/288m a skein. They are buttery soft. I enjoy working with them for that reason alone.

• Love
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
Here are the photos of my Leap Year yarn sale purchase I mentioned. Get ready to swoon with me, folks:
20200310_180904.jpg
On the left in this first photo is a free tote bag for which they provided a discount code. On the right is one of my 1lb surprise packs I picked up for $5. I'd say it's about a #5 weight acrylic and it's a lovely rainbow color. Not sure on the yardage, so I will need to choose my project for it wisely.

20200310_180855.jpg
In this second photo, on the left is an assortment of #3 weight acrylic yarns, each with 290yd/265m a skein. The reviews said they are soft and the fabric they make has a lovely drape to it that's great for clothing. These are destined to become some fashionable spring apparel for me. They were on clearance for $2.50 each. On the right is the other 1lb surprise pack I picked up for $5. It's a lovely blue/teal color.

20200310_180738.jpg
This third photo shows HALF of the contents of the $30 mystery box I ordered. The top row is 2 skeins of Premier Yarns Aurora. The color is called Woodland and it's a lovely mix of orange and green and tones similar to fall foliage. It's so soft. Next to that are 3 skeins of Red Hart Gumdrop yarn. I love the combination of grey and neon rainbow. The color is called Rock Candy. The bottom row is 3 skeins of Bernat Giggles Yarn. The color is called Clearwater and it's a very pretty combination of lavender and light blue. Next to that is 3 skeins of Premier Rodeo yarn in a blue/white combo. That one is a 85% cotton/15% polyester blend.
20200310_180743.jpg
Finally, this is the other half of the mystery box. I got 1 skein of Cream and Sugar cotton yarn in a fun green/orange/white combo. Next to that is 2 skeins of a Patons Hempster yarn which is a cotton/hemp blend. The color is called Lime Punch. Beneath those are two different brands of scrubby yarn, meant for like dishcloths or similar. Not sure what I will make with these yet, but I love the bright blue and pink. Additionally, you can see they enclosed a two pack of yarn needles, Not pictured is about half a dozen patterns they threw in as well.

All told, I feel like I got really great value for my $70 total purchase. So many of these are perfect for the brighter, warmer days ahead.

• Love
Reactions: KLS52 and Val
Here are the photos of my Leap Year yarn sale purchase I mentioned. Get ready to swoon with me, folks:
View attachment 20051
On the left in this first photo is a free tote bag for which they provided a discount code. On the right is one of my 1lb surprise packs I picked up for $5. I'd say it's about a #5 weight acrylic and it's a lovely rainbow color. Not sure on the yardage, so I will need to choose my project for it wisely.

View attachment 20052
In this second photo, on the left is an assortment of #3 weight acrylic yarns, each with 290yd/265m a skein. The reviews said they are soft and the fabric they make has a lovely drape to it that's great for clothing. These are destined to become some fashionable spring apparel for me. They were on clearance for $2.50 each. On the right is the other 1lb surprise pack I picked up for $5. It's a lovely blue/teal color.

View attachment 20053
This third photo shows HALF of the contents of the $30 mystery box I ordered. The top row is 2 skeins of Premier Yarns Aurora. The color is called Woodland and it's a lovely mix of orange and green and tones similar to fall foliage. It's so soft. Next to that are 3 skeins of Red Hart Gumdrop yarn. I love the combination of grey and neon rainbow. The color is called Rock Candy. The bottom row is 3 skeins of Bernat Giggles Yarn. The color is called Clearwater and it's a very pretty combination of lavender and light blue. Next to that is 3 skeins of Premier Rodeo yarn in a blue/white combo. That one is a 85% cotton/15% polyester blend.
View attachment 20054
Finally, this is the other half of the mystery box. I got 1 skein of Cream and Sugar cotton yarn in a fun green/orange/white combo. Next to that is 2 skeins of a Patons Hempster yarn which is a cotton/hemp blend. The color is called Lime Punch. Beneath those are two different brands of scrubby yarn, meant for like dishcloths or similar. Not sure what I will make with these yet, but I love the bright blue and pink. Additionally, you can see they enclosed a two pack of yarn needles, Not pictured is about half a dozen patterns they threw in as well.

All told, I feel like I got really great value for my $70 total purchase. So many of these are perfect for the brighter, warmer days ahead.
Ooo! 😍 :drool: Your purchase is merely beautiful!💖

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15
I just finished my latest poncho, made with Bernat Baby Velvet yarn. Because of the lacy pattern, this took far fewer yards of yarn than some of my others. It's so soft! As you can see, I managed not to twist it this time, haha:
20200314_144204.jpg
Now, I am preparing to start on this shawl pattern I've had my eye on for a while:

I thought this crowd would be especially appreciative of my current project. My boss, who is also a crocheter, but doesn't much anymore due to arthritis, has two dachshunds. One of them sustained a back injury a few years back and became paraplegic. Thankfully for him, my boss spares no expense to give him the best care. In addition to a doggy wheelchair, he has what is known as a "drag bag", which is basically a sack that fits around his back end so that he can pull himself along the floor with his front paws without fear of any abrasion or injury to his lower half. (Google "Dachshund drag bag" for a better visual.)

My boss showed me an adorable picture of him in a drag bag she crocheted last weekend. Her husband said he needs one that looks like a bumblebee. I told her I actually have some black and yellow in my scrap yarn, and I have been specifically looking for projects to deplete my scrap yarn other than afghans I don't especially need. So I am in currently the process of making a dachshund drag bag in bumblebee colors. Of course there is no proper pattern for one, so I am following the specifications she gave me from the one she made and improvising a bit. Pictures to follow if it works out. She did say I could probably make a little money selling them online since there are lots of disabled daschund owners out there. We'll see how this one turns out first though...

I thought this crowd would be especially appreciative of my current project. My boss, who is also a crocheter, but doesn't much anymore due to arthritis, has two dachshunds. One of them sustained a back injury a few years back and became paraplegic. Thankfully for him, my boss spares no expense to give him the best care. In addition to a doggy wheelchair, he has what is known as a "drag bag", which is basically a sack that fits around his back end so that he can pull himself along the floor with his front paws without fear of any abrasion or injury to his lower half. (Google "Dachshund drag bag" for a better visual.)

My boss showed me an adorable picture of him in a drag bag she crocheted last weekend. Her husband said he needs one that looks like a bumblebee. I told her I actually have some black and yellow in my scrap yarn, and I have been specifically looking for projects to deplete my scrap yarn other than afghans I don't especially need. So I am in currently the process of making a dachshund drag bag in bumblebee colors. Of course there is no proper pattern for one, so I am following the specifications she gave me from the one she made and improvising a bit. Pictures to follow if it works out. She did say I could probably make a little money selling them online since there are lots of disabled daschund owners out there. We'll see how this one turns out first though...
Oh, that sounds fantastic! I'm sure you will work it out. Can't wait to see the finished product!

I finished the bumblebee drag bag this weekend. You should have heard the expressions of delight from my boss when I gave it to her yesterday. As promised, she sent me a picture of Frankie modeling it last night:

20200331_052910.jpg
20200331_053032.jpg

• Love
Reactions: silva and PTree15