Crochet

I lucked out this morning! In my quest to find the yarn I need for that blanket at an affordable price, I did a lot of comparison shopping between various online retailers on Sunday. At the same time, I signed up for a few of their mailing lists, in the hope of a sale or discount code I could use. This morning, I got an email from one of them stating, essentially, "We noticed you left with items still in your cart. Here's a code for free shipping." They had all 3 colors of the yarn I wanted, with free shipping AND an additional 20% discount for some reason. All told, the 7 skeins of yarn I ordered cost less than $23, and they will arrive next week. It definitely paid to stall.

• Love
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
I lucked out this morning! In my quest to find the yarn I need for that blanket at an affordable price, I did a lot of comparison shopping between various online retailers on Sunday. At the same time, I signed up for a few of their mailing lists, in the hope of a sale or discount code I could use. This morning, I got an email from one of them stating, essentially, "We noticed you left with items still in your cart. Here's a code for free shipping." They had all 3 colors of the yarn I wanted, with free shipping AND an additional 20% discount for some reason. All told, the 7 skeins of yarn I ordered cost less than $23, and they will arrive next week. It definitely paid to stall.
We need the "winner" emoji back! That is fantastic, GingerFoxx.

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52 and shyvas
I just finished the second panel of this poncho: https://www.sewrella.com/ava-fringed-poncho/

Tonight I will join the panels and finish it all up. I think I will add the tassel fringe to this one, like the sample photo shows. I'm not usually a big fan of fringe, but in this design, I think it adds to the overall look.

The pattern couldn't be simpler, but I think it looks very lovely.

Reactions: KLS52
I just finished the second panel of this poncho: https://www.sewrella.com/ava-fringed-poncho/

Tonight I will join the panels and finish it all up. I think I will add the tassel fringe to this one, like the sample photo shows. I'm not usually a big fan of fringe, but in this design, I think it adds to the overall look.

The pattern couldn't be simpler, but I think it looks very lovely.
Stunning! I agree on the tassel fringe. I think it really adds to the design.

• Agree
I find it quicker to crochet a poncho, unless you're knitting with a bulky yarn. That can work up pretty quickly.

I just wanted to know why you prefer crochet to knitting. I used to knit but never learned how to crochet. I must say that the latter is
quite a relaxing hobby. However, I find that it's expensive when you use good quality yarn.:)

Can you make a poncho in a day ?

I have made a poncho in a weekend before, when I am at home relaxing and not much else to do. You could probably make one in a single day if you used heavier weight yarn and a large enough hook size. Usually, I pick away at my projects during my breaks at work, or for an hour or two after dinner. At that pace, I finish one in a week or less, on average. Depends also on the complexity of the pattern.

I just wanted to know why you prefer crochet to knitting. I used to knit but never learned how to crochet. I must say that the latter is
quite a relaxing hobby. However, I find that it's expensive when you use good quality yarn.:)

Can you make a poncho in a day ?
I think I am better at crocheting than knitting, and I tend to finish things more quickly when I crochet. I do enjoy knitting, though, as well. Most of the ear warmers I made last year were knitted. Both are very relaxing for me. Yes, a project can get quite pricey with expensive yarn. I have a friend who will only knit with cashmere or merino wool. She spends a ton on yarn.

I think I am better at crocheting than knitting, and I tend to finish things more quickly when I crochet. I do enjoy knitting, though, as well. Most of the ear warmers I made last year were knitted. Both are very relaxing for me. Yes, a project can get quite pricey with expensive yarn. I have a friend who will only knit with cashmere or merino wool. She spends a ton on yarn.

I wouldn't have thought that croche was quicker than knitting. Perhaps it's due to the fact that you use two needles rather than just one crochet hook.
Who taught you to crochet or did you just pick it up from a magazine ?

Now I am just waiting for my UPS delivery of the yarn needed to start the commissioned baby blanket... unfortunately the shipment tracker just says it's out for delivery "by the end of the day" so I have no idea when to expect delivery.

I do like the tassels!
I was just at a Goodwill and they had two large crocheted blankets- I guess twin sized. One was a smaller zig-zag in a variety of bright colors, and multi colored yarns.The other was a diagonal - basket weave?. I felt so bad that someone would have taken these to a Goodwill!

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
My yarn arrived safely. Amusingly, you can tell the retailer's target audience is retired old ladies because enclosed with my items were a number of offers for things including AARP membership, orthopedic shoes and a Frozen 2 keepsake my graddaughter will love... I'm 34 and intentionally childless, I think they missed the mark just a bit... HAHA!

I wouldn't have thought that croche was quicker than knitting. Perhaps it's due to the fact that you use two needles rather than just one crochet hook.
Who taught you to crochet or did you just pick it up from a magazine ?
My grandmother taught me to crochet, and my mother taught me to knit. My mom is an excellent, and very fast, knitter. She can crochet, but she prefers knitting. She says I got my grandmother's crochet gene. :D

• Love
My friend's birthday is in a month, so I need to get cracking on the Eagles-themed afghan if I'm to finish it on time. I've not done much of it yet as I had a bunch of busy days lately. I plan to spend a few hours on it today, though.

• Friendly