Crochet

I finished this mandala vest this morning, made mostly of leftovers from other projects. You can see the armholes there at the top. The bit in between them folds down to form a collar, then the sides wrap around you. All it needs is some sort of clasp/brooch or ties to cinch it at the waist.
20200118_082707.jpg
I made this as my fun crochet anniversary gift to myself. I was reminded what a fun exhibition of skill mandalas are with the variety of stitches used from one round to the next.

This project has inspired me to make another mandala that can be used as a decorative wall hanging or tapestry behind the headboard of our bed. It would be a great use of scraps, visually appealing, sound dampening and machine washable. What's not to love about that?

I finished this mandala vest this morning, made mostly of leftovers from other projects. You can see the armholes there at the top. The bit in between them folds down to form a collar, then the sides wrap around you. All it needs is some sort of clasp/brooch or ties to cinch it at the waist.
View attachment 19647
I made this as my fun crochet anniversary gift to myself. I was reminded what a fun exhibition of skill mandalas are with the variety of stitches used from one round to the next.

This project has inspired me to make another mandala that can be used as a decorative wall hanging or tapestry behind the headboard of our bed. It would be a great use of scraps, visually appealing, sound dampening and machine washable. What's not to love about that?
Cool!🌺 I like mandalas!💮 I'm even subscribed to some artist's Instagram channel (she draws fascinating mandalas).✨💫

View attachment 19647

Be prepared for a lot of requests when they see you wearing that! It's gorgeous! :master:<3

View attachment 19647

That is so cool! Happy crochet anniversary!

Reactions: Val
I'm working on squares right now to make a four-square poncho with a hood. I picked a more ornate granny square design I found online:
There is a written version of the pattern as well.

I am making mine with green, navy, brown and off white yarn and a larger hook size than in this video. I found a different video that uses four 15-inch squares to make a poncho, and two more to make a hood. So I am following that same concept, just with the different pattern of square. I might need to add a little wider boarder on, since my first square measured about 12.5"

I still plan to make a wall mandala, but I decided to wait until I have more scraps to use up. This one looks like a nice challenge:

Reactions: Val and PTree15
I made this cowl neck V-stitch poncho throughout the last week. I just finished it up yesterday and I am testing it out now. So warm! :)

View attachment 19317
I am working on this one for me, in an army-ish green. I'm about 2/3 done. I can't wait to wear it. I tried it on to see how long it was and I just love the collar!

Here are the first two squares for my intended poncho. I made one on Sunday and the other just yesterday. They will definitely need wider boarders or an additional strip of color joining them to be large enough to make the poncho. They are about 3 inches too small, diameter-wise, but that can be remedied at least:

20200121_063941.jpg

I rather like how retro they look with this color combination.

Here are the first two squares for my intended poncho. I made one on Sunday and the other just yesterday. They will definitely need wider boarders or an additional strip of color joining them to be large enough to make the poncho. They are about 3 inches too small, diameter-wise, but that can be remedied at least:

View attachment 19661

I rather like how retro they look with this color combination.
Wow, very pretty!!

I am making some birthday gifts for a couple of friends. I knitted a cable stitch ear warmer for one, and now I'm crocheting a waffle stitch scarf in a charcoal gray. Last year, I made this friend a gray ear warmer, so the scarf will go nicely with that. I have knitted the waffle stitch before, but this is the first time I'm crocheting it. I really love the texture. It feels very substantial and almost like it's a double strand. I think it will be nice and warm. I will make a few more for the craft fair inventory as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52 and Val
You guys are so talented!
I made what started as a simple double stitch neck warmer, then thought to sew it together as an infinity scarf, then added a lot more rows and stiched together as a cowl- adding a drawstring for around my head. It just seems weird!
I have more yarn and will just make a simple hat :rolleyes:

You guys are so talented!
I made what started as a simple double stitch neck warmer, then thought to sew it together as an infinity scarf, then added a lot more rows and stiched together as a cowl- adding a drawstring for around my head. It just seems weird!
I have more yarn and will just make a simple hat :rolleyes:
Post a pic if you can. I love seeing everyone's work! I like the drawstring idea. I have a cowl that wears like a hood, and a drawstring would be great for when I wear it that way.

And thank you for the kind words. :)

I am making some birthday gifts for a couple of friends. I knitted a cable stitch ear warmer for one, and now I'm crocheting a waffle stitch scarf in a charcoal gray. Last year, I made this friend a gray ear warmer, so the scarf will go nicely with that. I have knitted the waffle stitch before, but this is the first time I'm crocheting it. I really love the texture. It feels very substantial and l almost like it's a double strand. I think it will be nice and warm. I will make a few more for the craft fair inventory as well.View attachment 19671
Very nice. I am sitting in a cafe near my office, wearing my waffle stitch hat and scarf combo as I type this. It's such a great pattern for winter accessories.

Reactions: Val and PTree15
I finished the fourth square for my granny poncho last night. They're roughly 12" in diameter and need to be about 15" for an adult size poncho. I might just do a few rounds of double crochet to make them large enough. The second image is to show you how they will be configured into a 4-square poncho.
20200124_073901.jpg

Attachments

• 20200124_073925.jpg
    20200124_073925.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Love
Reactions: Val
I finished the fourth square for my granny poncho last night. They're roughly 12" in diameter and need to be about 15" for an adult size poncho. I might just do a few rounds of double crochet to make them large enough. The second image is to show you how they will be configured into a 4-square poncho.
View attachment 19687
That's really cool!
I have a local discount store that now has yarn, 2 big skeins together for about $2 or under. It's not quality yarn by any means, but at that price it's great for a beginner like myself to play with! I'd like to try that poncho design, or similar with granny squares
I'll see about getting a pic of my 'cowl' before I take it apart again! The past few days were in the teens and it didn't cut for all the wind going through the double crochet!

That's really cool!
I have a local discount store that now has yarn, 2 big skeins together for about $2 or under. It's not quality yarn by any means, but at that price it's great for a beginner like myself to play with! I'd like to try that poncho design, or similar with granny squares
I'll see about getting a pic of my 'cowl' before I take it apart again! The past few days were in the teens and it didn't cut for all the wind going through the double crochet!
I recognized very quickly that really any style of squares, if they are the right sizes, can be sewn into a poncho in that configuration. It really opens up limitless options for all skill levels, and offers potential for just about any style of square that might be eye catching as a garment. Here is one video that instructs you on how to join the squares. I feel like if you can do that technique, then anything squares you like can be made into a poncho:

Side note... I love her channel. She is a great instructor. I find myself returning to her channel again and again when I am searching for a particular type of project to make.

Reactions: PTree15
I finished the granny square poncho last night:
20200125_182923.jpg
As you can see, I added a few round of double crochet in navy onto the bottom to make it a more suitable length for me. Otherwise it was just four 15-inch squares, slip stitched together.

Attachments

• 20200125_105454.jpg
    20200125_105454.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200125_182939.jpg
    20200125_182939.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52