Crochet

Mel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
There already is a knitting thread, and I do know how to knit somewhat, but my true yarn love is with the crochet hook.

I started to learn almost a year ago and crocheted constantly until the summer. By then, it was way too hot, in my opinion to keep doing it, so a lot of my projects got put on hold. I have started again, and I'm loving it.

Does anyone else here crochet?

I find it a lot easier to learn than knitting, and this is the guy that taught me in the beginning. I still watch some of his videos for techniques, but I prefer a written pattern.

This is the first of 24 lessons: (I'm pretty sure I only got through less than 10 or so of the beginner videos since I seem to have caught on quickly)

Reactions: KLS52
I'm the opposite, sorry. I tried to learn how to crochet a few times but could never get the hang of it. :( I find knitting easier.

I used to love to crochet, filet crocheting was my favorite. I never could knit, it always ended up in a tight curl. I miss doing it, but my hands began cramping up after just a few minutes, so I had to stop.

I should watch some of those videos, Mel. I've been trying to teach myself crochet on and off for a while now, but I always give up and retreat back to knitting. Its easier to stick with something you're good at, the way I see it. :p

Reactions: KLS52
I should watch, too. It's funny, because crocheting looks easier!

I've crocheted a lot longer than I've knitted, but during the past decade or two, I've enjoyed knitting a lot more. I find it to be more challenging (and therefore it holds my interest more, since I'm constantly learning new techniques), and I also generally prefer knitted fabrics over crocheted ones. I still do the odd bit of crocheting though.

I would love to see some of your work!

I've been knitting for about 8 years and crocheting about 4. Crochet is a million times easier IMO, once you get teh basics down. I drop my yarn a lot and with knitting that kills it, with crochet it's easy to recover from. Also I like making a lot of toys and crocheting round is sooo much easier than knitting in the round. I do agree knitting often looks better though. I found with knitting I was never good whereas crochet I picked up quickly

The person I learnt to crochet from was theknitwitch on youtube. Once you get the hang of it its easier.

So my niece tried to make this mermaid blanket for her new baby but doesn't really crochet. I offered to make it for her, though I didn't really want to make the little bikini top. But she wants it for a photo project, so I relented. The project also included a headband, which she didn't ask for, but I made it anyway in the interest of completing the ensemble. I am quite pleased with how the blanket came out. Even my sewing wasn't wretched, which it sometimes is.

20170226_021840-640x853.jpg

^^^ I would like to make that blanket again, but I think I'll skip the top and headband. I'm working on a few projects. One is a giant crocheted granny square afghan that will be for a raffle at a craft fair, and the others are baby blankets. I have a feeling there will be more babies in the family this year, so I want to be prepared. :D. I'm knitting one and crocheting the other.

Don't you have a cat?
I'd love to crochet but so would my cats :rolleyes:
I could sure use a hat! :D

Thanks, silva! Yes, I do have a cat, and he is loving the afghan I've been working on, hehe. That's why I've been working on the headbands. :D Let me know what kind of hat you'd like. :)

Thanks, silva! Yes, I do have a cat, and he is loving the afghan I've been working on, hehe. That's why I've been working on the headbands. :D Let me know what kind of hat you'd like. :)
Can you do like a beret style that isn't snug on the head? I don't wear winter hats because my hair looks awful when I take it off! I would like a looser one that is just fitting around the edge!

Have you thought of an etsy shop? I've only browsed but am amazed by what people sell, and how much they can sell for :eek:. You can have a real nice side if you like crochet! Even things like crocheted dish scrubbies!

Reactions: Val and KLS52
Can you do like a beret style that isn't snug on the head? I don't wear winter hats because my hair looks awful when I take it off! I would like a looser one that is just fitting around the edge!

Have you thought of an etsy shop? I've only browsed but am amazed by what people sell, and how much they can sell for :eek:. You can have a real nice side if you like crochet! Even things like crocheted dish scrubbies!
Yep, I could do a beret style for sure. What color would you like?
I have actually been thinking about an etsy shop. What I want is different streams of income for when I get to retirement age. This also could work if I don't end up getting a decent full-time job. I'm thinking of all kinds of options.

Reactions: Val
I have actually been thinking about an etsy shop. What I want is different streams of income for when I get to retirement age. This also could work if I don't end up getting a decent full-time job. I'm thinking of all kinds of options.

I would order one from you.:up:

Reactions: PTree15
I'd love any shade between a wine and a purple! I don't want it as thick as that headband looks, maybe a single crochet?
Really research what people are willing to pay- that mermaid outfit would cost quite a lot! :D

I'd love any shade between a wine and a purple! I don't want it as thick as that headband looks, maybe a single crochet?
Really research what people are willing to pay- that mermaid outfit would cost quite a lot! :D
LOL, it probably would. And that was so easy to make once I got the hang of it. Oooo, I like your color selection. I'll see what I can whip up. Yeah, that headband is good and solid, which is good because they need to be bulkier to provide warmth.

LOL, it probably would. And that was so easy to make once I got the hang of it. Oooo, I like your color selection. I'll see what I can whip up. Yeah, that headband is good and solid, which is good because they need to be bulkier to provide warmth.
Do you know how to get online pay things set up? It sounds like Paypal is easy. My son bought a sax from someone on facebook who used it