Vegan Crêpes,Galettes & Pancakes

Vegan Crêpes Recipe

300 g white flour
400 ml of plant milk
100 ml of water
1/2 teaspoon of salt
6 table spoons (30 g) of oil
6 table spoons (60 ml) of carbonated water

(I have slightly modified a recipe I found online by reducing the amount of oil that was figured, this recipe has been working fine for me)

Whisk all the ingredients apart from the carbonated water together. The original recipe asks for an electric mixing machine, dreading the cleaning effort, I have been using a manual whisk successfully here.

Once everything is nicely blended together, wait a few minutes before adding the carbonated water. Then, whisk together thoroughly, again. This supposedly helps to improve the consistency of the batter.

Now, the original recipe asks for having it rest in the fridge for an hour, I have found 20 minutes to be fine.

Heat a non-stick pan or crepes maker, I have found that you do not need to add any oil other than the one already added to the batter. Once the pan is hot, put a scoop of the batter into the pan / on top of the crepes maker and distribute it thinly. This can best be done with the special crepes making utensils - there is a spreader made from wood or plastic with which you can quickly spread out the dough in a circular fashion - I have embedded a video (not made myself) at the end of this post how to do it.

You will find the videos on the preparation here , as videos are not allowed in this forum part:
https://forum.veggieviews.com/threads/videos-how-to-make-crêpes-galettes-for-recipe-thread.9086/

If you don’t have a crepe spreader tool, no problem, just pick up the pan and tilt it slowly to let the dough move around the pan.

Once the dough has firmed up, use the crêpe turning tool to turn the crêpe. Once it also has baked a short time on the other side, your authentic French crêpe is ready (see video).

Variant: “Fake Austrian Palatschinken”

I typically turn the crêpe over several times to get a crispy version like the “Palatschinken” from my Austrian home, which I like better than the soft French crêpes...

But I have to admit the guy in the video is doing an incredible crêpe, apart from it not being vegan....

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
Vegan Galettes Recipe

When traveling in France, even when you go to vegetarian restaurants, often their crêpes are not vegan, however, most will offer vegan Galettes, as this traditional savoury buckwheat pancake is often made vegan.

I have researched some of the recipes online (the traditional French ones most often have egg) and put something together myself:

350 g of buckwheat flour
350 ml of plant milk
350 ml of water
1-2 teaspoons of salt (depending how savoury you want it to be, maybe start with one)
1 teaspoon of starch
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 tablespoon of oil
6 table spoons of carbonated water

You can see that some parts of my cobbled-together recipe come directly from my crêpes recipe above, so use the same procedure. The replacement of half of the water from the original recipe with plant milk makes the galettes less “coarse” than the French original, but no less enjoyable!

Galettes are typically filled with cheese and sausage, so putting vegan versions of these inside work very nicely!

I typically make the batter for the galettes first, so that when the crepes batter is ready, I can start with some galettes as “main dish” and move to the crêpes as dessert afterwards :)

Oh, and a note ... the plastic tablecloth you see in some of the pictures is not there to generate a more “French” ambiance.

Rather, I realized (during cleaning up) that there is a reason all those French crêpe places have a layer of aluminium foil around their crêpes makers....

You triggered memories of when I used to make crepes for manicotti. Growing up, my mom would use a small cast iron skillet that was well seasoned. I followed suit once I had a family of my own and was still eating eggs/dairy. I’d love to try a vegan version. I already have the tofu ricotta down pat. I need a basic vegan (savory) crepe though. This short video shows how it was done.

Reactions: Andy_T
That’s most interesting - I did not know there was such a thing as Manicotti - will try this out definitely!

What you do in Austria and Germany is roll up unused creps and cut them into strips as something to put into your soup - called « Flaedle » in Germany or « Fritatten » in Austria. More or less a recycling approach, but I never have any leftovers...

http://www.mydeliciousfood.com/my-mamas-german-fritatten-soup/

You can't have it just now.

Have to make, and leave over, some pancakes first. I typically struggle with the second part :D

So let's move on from the outer shape of the crepe/gallette/pancake to its inner values ... what are your favourite fillings?

Let me start to collect some ideas here:

Savoury:

Vegan Cheese
Vegan cold cuts
Tomato sauce

Sweet:

The classic: apricot jam
The simple: sugar and cinnamon
(Vegan) Nutella and banana slices
applesauce and cinnamon

Sophisticated:
Apple slices, cinnamon and ... Grand marnier or Cognac?
Sugar and any kind of alcohol (e.g. Cointreau or Poire Williams brandy)

What are your favourites?

Reactions: silva
Vegan Crêpes Recipe

300 g white flour
400 ml of plant milk
100 ml of water
1/2 teaspoon of salt

(I have slightly modified a recipe I found online by reducing the amount of oil that was figured, this recipe has been working fine for me)

Whisk all the ingredients apart from the carbonated water together. The original recipe asks for an electric mixing machine, dreading the cleaning effort, I have been using a manual whisk successfully here.

Once everything is nicely blended together, wait a few minutes before adding the carbonated water. Then, whisk together thoroughly, again. This supposedly helps to improve the consistency of the batter.

Now, the original recipe asks for having it rest in the fridge for an hour, I have found 20 minutes to be fine.

Heat a non-stick pan or crepes maker, I have found that you do not need to add any oil other than the one already added to the batter. Once the pan is hot, put a scoop of the batter into the pan / on top of the crepes maker and distribute it thinly. This can best be done with the special crepes making utensils - there is a spreader made from wood or plastic with which you can quickly spread out the dough in a circular fashion - I have embedded a video (not made myself) at the end of this post how to do it.

You will find the videos on the preparation here , as videos are not allowed in this forum part:
https://forum.veggieviews.com/threads/videos-how-to-make-crêpes-galettes-for-recipe-thread.9086/

If you don’t have a crepe spreader tool, no problem, just pick up the pan and tilt it slowly to let the dough move around the pan.

Once the dough has firmed up, use the crêpe turning tool to turn the crêpe. Once it also has baked a short time on the other side, your authentic French crêpe is ready (see video).

Variant: “Fake Austrian Palatschinken”

I typically turn the crêpe over several times to get a crispy version like the “Palatschinken” from my Austrian home, which I like better than the soft French crêpes...

But I have to admit the guy in the video is doing an incredible crêpe, apart from it not being vegan....
Oh yes! I have a small crepe pan I've never even used!

Vegan Crêpes Recipe

300 g white flour
400 ml of plant milk
100 ml of water
1/2 teaspoon of salt

The end result will be pancakes being tough and chewy as the gluten is overmixed. Nothing beats using either a hand whisk or a wooden spoon.

I have made this recipe a dozen of times, they came out very nice. The trick is to make them very thin (like crepes, not pancakes), then they are not chewy at all.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15