Considering changing my username

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I remember being very happy with my username initially. It felt just right for me. That was on another site back in 2004 or so, and I've used this username since then, on here, on Twitter and some other places.

But, nothing lasts forever! There is a new era now where we try to be more sensitive to other people's feelings, both in terms of symbols and language. And especially so when it comes to minority groups. Which is a development I applaud, by the way.

No one has complained to me, but my username felt awkward on Twitter when I was following someone who actually belongs to an indigenous American tribe. I have since mostly given up Twitter as I can't stand Elon Musk's new vision for it. But I want to create a new account on Mastodon to replace my Indian Summer Twitter account. I just need a new username ...

Meteorologists have been thinking about renaming the weather phenomenon Indian Summer, but Second Summer or Last Chance Summer just do not have the same appeal to me:
A new name for Indian summer?

indian_summer.jpg

So, I'm thinking of going with something entirely new.

Anyway, don't be alarmed if you see a "new" admin around here one of these days!

Summer time 🌞

I think you're right. When the Cleveland Indians FINALLY changed to the Cleveland Guardians we almost made the World Series! (after being 'losers' every year)

animal guardian?

or like the Washington Redskins going to the Commanders - vegan commander. oh...
how about Forum Commander?
Cleveland Guardians-- Long story short,the Guardian refer to the 1932 bridge that connected the west and east sides of Cle.
1668731422006.png

Reactions: Lou
Thank you for your ideas and thoughts on my identity crisis! 🙂

I think the native American tradition is for the tribe to find a name for you? As did my distant ancestors, the old Norsemen ("Saint" Olaf, Harald Fair-hair, Magnus the Law-mender etc.) But I think I will try to come up with a username for myself, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy_T and KLS52
Thank you for your ideas and thoughts on my identity crisis! 🙂

I think the native American tradition is for the tribe to find a name for you? As did my distant ancestors, the old Norsemen ("Saint" Olaf, Harald Fair-hair, Magnus the Law-mender etc.) But I think I will try to come up with a username for myself, though.

Yes.

I don`t find the word IS offensive, however for some, so many words seem to be. We are living in a different era and
discussion is somewhat difficult.

Finally, after much hesitation and over-thinking I have gone ahead and changed my username! It's going to take some time getting used to.

I considered just Papa Summer or Mr Summer. (Even briefly changed it to Mr Summer!) I know I said 'Second Summer' didn't have as much appeal to me. But then it struck me it has a double meaning: It means essentially the same as 'Indian Summer' but it's also the second Summer-related username I have. Hahaha.

Now I just need to find a new avatar.

Oh, and my initials changed from I.S. to S.S. I don't know if that is an improvement or not :fp:

I was actually thinking about this the other day for some reason. I must have read something that reminded me. At least you kept the summer name. I normally recognise people from their avatars on here anyway.

Reactions: Second Summer
Finally, after much hesitation and over-thinking I have gone ahead and changed my username! It's going to take some time getting used to.

I considered just Papa Summer or Mr Summer. (Even briefly changed it to Mr Summer!) I know I said 'Second Summer' didn't have as much appeal to me. But then it struck me it has a double meaning: It means essentially the same as 'Indian Summer' but it's also the second Summer-related username I have. Hahaha.

Now I just need to find a new avatar.

Oh, and my initials changed from I.S. to S.S. I don't know if that is an improvement or not :fp:
SS--SevenSeas :rolleyes:. Wonder if he's around forums? From VB?
Oh well, I like Second Summer!

Reactions: Second Summer
SS--SevenSeas :rolleyes:. Wonder if he's around forums? From VB?
I haven't seen him in a very long time, it's probably been 10 years or so. If there ever was a vegan/vegetarian forum members Hall of Fame, he would definitely be featured there.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Blues
@silva Initially I didn't think the ownership change would affect VB so much, but VB has changed big time- and not in a good way. I can't put my finger on exactly why. Michael and some of the other old VB regulars started another group or board of some sort, but as I recall, it's on Facebook (or some other well-known website) where I don't have an account.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I haven't seen a post from Sevenseas over on VB for a long time, even though he used to be one of the most prolific posters...
Yes - that was a veeerry long time ago. He was a really great character.

@silva Initially I didn't think the ownership change would affect VB so much, but VB has changed big time- and not in a good way. I can't put my finger on exactly why. Michael and some of the other old VB regulars started another group or board of some sort, but as I recall, it's on Facebook (or some other well-known website) where I don't have an account.
There is an FB group, but the traffic there is extremely low, maybe a couple of posts per year.

I think Michael was glad to be done with being an admin for a busy board, after having had that role for so many years.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.