Complete protein sources

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Ok, first I hate that the media is still pushing the Complete Protein Myth.

And this statement from the beginning of the article is at least partly false.
"However, many plant sources of protein are too low in or missing one or more of these essential amino acids. They're considered incomplete protein sources."

The next sentence was a good one.
"Still, given that plant foods contain varying amounts of amino acids, you can manage to get enough of each essential amino acid throughout the day by eating a varied diet."

And then this line sort of saves the day
"For example, grains like rice are too low in lysine to be considered a complete source of protein. Yet, by also eating lentils or beans, which are higher in lysine, throughout the day, you can be sure to obtain all nine essential amino acids."

This is the point of the whole article.
"Nevertheless, some people like knowing they're getting complete proteins in a particular meal."

And the factual info in the article is good.

You are right, it is tiresome that they keep pushing the insufficient protein thing. This must stem from an anti-vegan agenda or something. You would have to be eating a very limited monotrophic vegan diet to be low on any one amino acid. Vegan diets are usually quite the opposite than monotrophic. Most vegans eat a greatly varied diet.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
You are right, it is tiresome that they keep pushing the insufficient protein thing. This must stem from an anti-vegan agenda or something. You would have to be eating a very limited monotrophic vegan diet to be low on any one amino acid. Vegan diets are usually quite the opposite than monotrophic. Most vegans eat a greatly varied diet.

I agree but I don't think the protein myth is necessarily an anti-vegan thing. I think a lot of it comes from the billion-dollar supplement industry that targets way more regular people than vegans. When I talk about nutrition with the guys at the gym, most of them are concerned with the amount of protein they get. The meat/milk/egg industries are also to blame. They are always touting the benefits of protein.

Reactions: Emma JC
Your probably right........ and your buddies at the gym are proof that even non-vegans are concerned that they may be undereating that Protein Macro - even on their standard american diet.

And, while we are on that subject----you certainly can undereat or overeat any Macro Nutrient percentage(Carb/Protein/Fat) on any style of diet. Funny how protein gets such attention.

I get so annoyed by the missing amino acids in the protein myth. I am tired of correcting people, and often give them nutritionfacts.org about the protein myth and how it was debunked decades ago.
Newer information that should be shared is that too much protein puts a tax on your kidneys. Kidney disease is increasing. Once you are a kidney compromised person, your proteins are limited, and animal protein is more of a problem than plant protein. But why not just not wreck your kidneys in the mean time by over doing protein.

I know two people with kidney disease but they are otherwise generally healthy. Once it progresses to dialysis, it's a horrible repeating procedure with large expenses, waiting for a kidney transplant, like running a marathon to stay alive.

Too much protein is also linked to poor calcium absorption, why dairy as a calcium source is counterintuitive. Can't provide links atm.
Plant Based commercial foods aren't helping any add they market themselves on having high protein

this artcile was very accurate. I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised.
the only thing I didn't like was that they quoted Stephen Grundy. There was nothing wrong with the quote but Stephen Grundy, himself is a quack.
Oh, that was interesting. So it varies how much one needs protein?
I'm ignorant when it comes to nutrition. I find it difficult to remember facts about it because I'm usually uninterested, but now-a-days I have been trying to figure out what is needed intake of protein in my case.
So a woman who weights 58 kg needs 46 grams of protein? In that case, maybe I don't need much more than I what already get, which is somewhere between 20-30 grams a day (maybe I should get 36 grams a day, but that's going to be a challenge). For the most part of my life, the daily intake has been even lower than what it has been recently (if not taken into consideration a short period of time where I accidentally overdosed with TVP).
I think I'm doing great, I just have to up the intake a little bit. And I suppose it's better to eat less than to eat too much?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that was interesting. So it varies how much one needs protein?
I'm ignorant when it comes to nutrition. I find it difficult to remember facts about it because I'm usually uninterested, but now-a-days I have been trying to figure out what is needed intake of protein in my case.
So a woman who weights 58 kg needs 46 grams of protein? In that case, maybe I don't need much more than I what already get, which is somewhere between 20-30 grams a day (maybe I should get 36 grams a day, but that's going to be a challenge). For the most part of my life, the daily intake has been even lower than what it has been recently (if not taken into consideration a short period of time where I accidentally overdosed with TVP).
I think I'm doing great, I just have to up the intake a little bit. And I suppose it's better to eat less than to eat too much?
I'm not sure how you came up with 36 g but that is probably too little. Fifty grams is what WHO thinks is the absolute minimum. Fifty grams of protein a day should not be too challenging.

Eating to0 much is definitely something to avoid. but so is eating too little.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I'm not sure how you came up with 36 g but that is probably too little. Fifty grams is what WHO thinks is the absolute minimum. Fifty grams of protein a day should not be too challenging.

Eating to much is definitely something to avoid. but so is eating too little.
Thank you for the information. Even though it's depressing.

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to change anything, but since WHO says that 50 g is the minimum I have to work this out somehow.

Thank you for the information. Even though it's depressing.

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to change anything, but since WHO says that 50 g is the minimum I have to work this out somehow.
No, it's more like 46, buy the .8 times 58 calculation
I'd just suggest trying to include more beans, nuts, quinoa, tempeh & tofu. Can you eat seitan?

I have trouble getting enough protein when I’m counting calories, mainly because of the need to save calories for snacks. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I average 35g protein a day but I never worried about it because my blood work always comes back within normal range.

No, it's more like 46, buy the .8 times 58 calculation
I'd just suggest trying to include more beans, nuts, quinoa, tempeh & tofu. Can you eat seitan?
Thank you for the help and info.
I try to do that. I have started to utilize the Cronometer and I'm trying to make a healthy protein packed dinner almost every day.
I study right now and we are fortunate to have two free meals 5 times a week, which is awesome (breakfast and lunch). But that also means that I'm not always in control of what I eat. It's vegan of course, but otherwise.

I'm a Seitan worshipper. That was a joke. Not funny, I know.
Yes, I can and I will every time I order a burger, so about once a year or something like that. It's delicious. Does seitan have a lot of protein?

After I started to use the Cronometer I found out that my protein intake is okay when I eat three full meals a day, so there is after all nothing to worry about. I don't know how I keep messing up with protein. There was a time when I overdosed with TVP and now this. I'm just a special kind of stupid.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52
1 cup of boiled lentils has 18 grams of protein and 230 calories. Only takes about 30-40 minutes to cook. Good with whole grain spaghetti.
I love lentils, but I'm really lazy about preparing anything with them. But thank you for reminding me. It would be a good idea to make something with them. Lentil stew is hearty food for Autumn.

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
I love lentils, but I'm really lazy about preparing anything with them. But thank you for reminding me. It would be a good idea to make something with them. Lentil stew is hearty food for Autumn.
For some reason, I am lazy about lentils, too. And I really like them! So I need to get past my reticence to prepare them.

I cheer you on.
Together we can do this. ;)
Yes! :) I actually want to make lentil burgers. I've seen tons of recipes, so maybe I can do that this weekend. I have both red and green lentils in the pantry. Veganomicon's Snobby Joes recipe is also great. I got my sister turned on to lentils with that recipe. :) I will make a veg*n out of her yet! :D

Yes! :) I actually want to make lentil burgers. I've seen tons of recipes, so maybe I can do that this weekend. I have both red and green lentils in the pantry. Veganomicon's Snobby Joes recipe is also great. I got my sister turned on to lentils with that recipe. :) I will make a veg*n out of her yet! :D
Awesome idea. And it would be fantastic if your sis would come on board too. :)

• Love
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15