Christmas Food & Baking - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
And so it begins...
FB7F2132-0635-4E2D-A45B-4A02FCBA9D66.jpeg

Cashew nut roast with herb stuffing from 'Vegetarian Christmas' by Rose Elliot,

• Serves 6
  • 50g/2oz/4 tbs non dairy butter or olive oil
  • 1 large onion, peeled and sliced and a leek (white part)
  • 225g/8oz/1¾ cups unroasted cashew nuts ( I use mixed nuts including pecans, hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds. I also leave some of them in halves and quarters.
  • 125g/4oz white bread, crusts removed ( I use granary wholewheat)
  • 2 large cloves garlic
  • 200 ml/7 fl oz water or light vegetable stock (never add all the stock in one go. Add slowly and adjust. I also add a tsp of Marmite - yeast extract. I use less stock then stated.
  • sea salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • grated nutmeg
  • a pinch of sage
  • a pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 quantity herb stuffing (I omit this part)

Set the oven to 200c/gas 6. Prepare a 450g/1lb loaf tin. Put a long strip of non-stick paper across the bottom and up the two narrow sides, then use some of the butter to grease the pan and paper well.

Melt most of the remaining pb butter in a medium-sized saucepan, add the onion and fry for about 10 minutes until tender but not browned. Remove from the heat.

Grind the nuts in a food processor with the bread and garlic, then add to the onion together with the water or stock, salt, pepper, grated nutmeg and lemon juice to taste. Put half the cashew nut mixture into the prepared pan, top with the herb stuffing, then spoon the rest of the nut mixture on top. Dot with the remaining butter. Stand the pan in another pan to catch any butter oozing out, then bake for about 30 minutes or until firm and lightly browned. Cover the roast with foil if it gets too brown before then.

Cool for a minute or two in the pan, then slip a knife around the sides, turn the nut roast out and strip off the paper. Garnish with sprigs of parsley and small slices of lemon, and surround with roast potatoes, if you're serving them.

I omit the herb stuffing. I use a mixture of nuts ; cashews, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts and pecans. I also add extra ground almonds to the bread (granary wholewheat) crumbs. I also add extra onion powder and puréed chick peas to bind plus a teaspoon of lemon pepper and salt free seasoing and evo. Just make sure that the mixture is neither too dry and not too moist.

I add a few fresh bay leaf on top plus another drizzle of evo before roasting. I make them at least 48 hrs in advance. They also freeze very well. I leave a few of the nuts in pieces to give some crunch.

small.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Val
Third time’s a charm!

Well apparently I’m not falling back to sleep. Let me know if this works for you. I know everyone accesses things differently from different devices. I took a picture of it because I’m basically lazy, but I will type it out for you if you are unable to read it comfortably. I really did love it so much.

And now for the changes I made...

First, I used Trader Joe’s cornbread stuffing mix. It was amazing. I’m going back to get a couple more boxes to keep in the cupboard.

I also used mixed nuts...cashews, walnuts and pecan and I chopped by hand (technically I threw them in a plastic bag and rolled them with a rolling pin).

For the bread I used a Tuscan panne. It was a pretty dense, hearty bread.

The one issue I found is that the roast part did not stick together all that well. Not sure what the problem was. It came out of the loaf pan fine but when I would cut a slice, the nuts would start to fall apart. But I didn’t care because it was just so darned delicious, I think, partly, because of the gravy and stuffing.

I’m going to try and recreate the gravy because that I totally did a “wing it”. I’m going to make it again today because I have some of the roast in the freezer, thanks to shyvas’ recommendation and review that it freezes well. I can give you the basics of it, though.

Cashew nut roast with herb stuffing from 'Vegetarian Christmas' by Rose Elliot,

• Serves 6
  • 50g/2oz/4 tbs non dairy butter or olive oil
  • 1 large onion, peeled and sliced and a leek (white part)
  • 225g/8oz/1¾ cups unroasted cashew nuts ( I use mixed nuts including pecans, hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds. I also leave some of them in halves and quarters.
  • 125g/4oz white bread, crusts removed ( I use granary wholewheat)
  • 2 large cloves garlic
  • 200 ml/7 fl oz water or light vegetable stock (never add all the stock in one go. Add slowly and adjust. I also add a tsp of Marmite - yeast extract. I use less stock then stated.
  • sea salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • grated nutmeg
  • a pinch of sage
  • a pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 quantity herb stuffing (I omit this part)

Set the oven to 200c/gas 6. Prepare a 450g/1lb loaf tin. Put a long strip of non-stick paper across the bottom and up the two narrow sides, then use some of the butter to grease the pan and paper well.

Melt most of the remaining butter in a medium-sized saucepan, add the onion and fry for about 10 minutes until tender but not browned. Remove from the heat.

Grind the nuts in a food processor with the bread and garlic, then add to the onion together with the water or stock, salt, pepper, grated nutmeg and lemon juice to taste. Put half the cashew nut mixture into the prepared pan, top with the herb stuffing, then spoon the rest of the nut mixture on top. Dot with the remaining butter. Stand the pan in another pan to catch any butter oozing out, then bake for about 30 minutes or until firm and lightly browned. Cover the roast with foil if it gets too brown before then.

Cool for a minute or two in the pan, then slip a knife around the sides, turn the nut roast out and strip off the paper. Garnish with sprigs of parsley and small slices of lemon, and surround with roast potatoes, if you're serving them.

I omit the herb stuffing. I use a mixture of nuts ; cashews, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts and pecans. I also add extra ground almonds to the bread (granary wholewheat) crumbs. I also add extra onion powder and puréed chick peas to bind plus a teaspoon of lemon pepper and salt free seasoing and evo. Just make sure that the mixture is neither too dry and not too moist.

I add a few fresh bay leaf on top plus another drizzle of evo before roasting. I make them at least 48 hrs in advance. They also freeze very well. I leave a few of the nuts in pieces to give some crunch.

View attachment 15346
So, quick question on this recipe, shyvas. How much pureed chickpeas do you add to your recipe? Also would an egg replacer work as well? Like the equivalent of one egg?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, quick question on this recipe, shyvas. How much pureed chickpeas do you add to your recipe? Also would an egg replacer work as well? Like the equivalent of one egg?

You could use egg replacer however, I think that pureed vegetables give a far moister and delicious flavour. I don't actually weigh the puree and add it slowly to the mixture. The latter has to be slack and moist.

Reactions: Val
You could use egg replacer however, I think that pureed vegetables give a far moister and delicious flavour. I don't actually weigh the puree and add it slowly to the mixture. The latter has to be slack and moist.
OK, thank you. I didn't end up having time to make it today. My errands took far longer than I thought they would, and now I have to work. I need a clone. :D

Reactions: KLS52
Status
Not open for further replies.