Christmas cooking: What will you be making?

I had a really nice Christmas dinner last year at my in-law's home. IIRC there were all types of roasted vegetables and side salads and I brought along some vegan roast beef. I had fresh fruit and sorbet after as well as lots of accidentally vegan crisps and snacks with salsas and other dips during the rest of the day. I had one present of special fruity vegan wine supplied to me too.:drool:

I'm not sure about this year as we have our dogs now and I wouldn't want to leave them alone and we can't bring them either as my in-laws have lots of animals too so I will probably just be cooking a meal for the two of us.:)

Sounds nice to have it at home. And if you are cooking for the two of you, you could cook some really interesting stuff.

I'll be having dinner at my mum's, which is always a massive thing. There will, sadly, be meat on the table (some sort of fish starter, a turkey, and usually a ham or a duck, boo), but there's gonna be plenty of vegan stuff too. This year, it'll probably be something like:

Starters:
Tomato and basil soup
Melon

Mains:
Filo parcels, stuffed with roasted Mediterranean veg
Roast potatoes
Stuffed portobello mushrooms
Carrot & swede mash
Brussel sprouts
Broccoli
Minted peas
Asparagus
Roast parsnips
Mini sausages
Gravy
Apple sauce
Cranberry sauce

Desserts:
Apple crumble
Christmas pudding

I am thinking of making a veggie pot pie with mashed potatoes and gravy and cranberry sauce for sides.
For dessert, I probably will have a selection of Christmas cookies plus apple pie, cranberry nut bread and fudge.

Ooooo...veggie pot pie! I want to do that! :)

I brought along some vegan roast beef.

Is this seitan based?

It's a bake. I'll post the recipe when I'm not at work if anyone wants it.

Yes please!

I'll be having dinner at my mum's, which is always a massive thing. There will, sadly, be meat on the table (some sort of fish starter, a turkey, and usually a ham or a duck, boo), but there's gonna be plenty of vegan stuff too. This year, it'll probably be something like:

Starters:
Tomato and basil soup
Melon

Mains:
Filo parcels, stuffed with roasted Mediterranean veg
Roast potatoes
Stuffed portobello mushrooms
Carrot & swede mash
Brussel sprouts
Broccoli
Minted peas
Asparagus
Roast parsnips
Mini sausages
Gravy
Apple sauce
Cranberry sauce

Desserts:
Apple crumble
Christmas pudding

That is an impressive menu !

Do you make your own vegan Christmas pud ?

That is an impressive menu !

Do you make your own vegan Christmas pud ?

As I said, Christmas dinner is always a massive thing in my house ;)

My mum makes the Christmas pud, which is (and always has been) accidentally vegan. I have her recipe, but I've never tried making it myself - hers is always SO good :lick:

Reactions: thefadedone

My mum makes the Christmas pud, which is (and always has been) accidentally vegan. I have her recipe, but I've never tried making it myself - hers is always SO good :lick:

I love Christmas pud.:lick:... I also love mince pies and mince crumble cake......................:lick:

Some things shouldn't be messed with! :) Does she make hers weeks in advance like I'm seeing from my google results on Christmas Pudding? I love reading about different customs, especially with regard to holiday stuff! :)

Some things shouldn't be messed with! :) Does she make hers weeks in advance like I'm seeing from my google results on Christmas Pudding? I love reading about different customs, especially with regard to holiday stuff! :)

She makes hers the Christmas before, and soaks in more brandy each month. By the time it comes to eating it a year later, it's so rich and boozy and warming. My favourite christmas treat.

She makes hers the Christmas before, and soaks in more brandy each month. By the time it comes to eating it a year later, it's so rich and boozy and warming. My favourite christmas treat.
OMG...that sounds amazing!

Is this seitan based?

It's the Redwood's brand and it's really nice,:) there is a turkey one too but I prefer the beef one.
Ingredients :Water, wheat gluten, sunflower oil & vegetable fat, soya protein, wheat fibre, natural flavours, salt, yeast extract, sugar, thickener: carrageenan, malt extract & onion powder.

Does Christmas pudding taste like fruitcake? I have a friend who loves the stuff and I haven't been able to find a good vegan fruitcake recipe.

I'm very interested in the soft lemon cookies...

I will post the recipe in the recipes section later today or tomorrow. I should warn you though, they are delicious and hard to stop eating. Last year a family member requested (and got) a couple dozen of them. They've asked for the same this year. :p

Reactions: KLS52
It's the Redwood's brand and it's really nice,:) there is a turkey one too but I prefer the beef one.
Ingredients :Water, wheat gluten, sunflower oil & vegetable fat, soya protein, wheat fibre, natural flavours, salt, yeast extract, sugar, thickener: carrageenan, malt extract & onion powder.

Oooo, interesting! I was just going to have the traditional Christmas dinner my mum will cook, without the meat. But now I'm thinking about getting some fake turkey type thing. Mainly because I love it in sandwiches with cranberry sauce for days after...

Ah, yeah! I love this product :) they also have a celebration roast, which looks like slices of turkey, gravy, and pigs in blankets, all in one. I want to try it, mainly for the pigs in blankets.

My family usually does soup for Christmas. They'll make four different soups. Last year I took curried pumpkin soup, but I told my mom ahead of time and she ALSO made curried pumpkin soup so that was pointless.

I'm hoping I don't have to go to Christmas this year, but if I do I'll probably just eat the veggie tray and black olives and then eat a proper meal when I get home. (It's a three hour drive each way, and a huge hassle to get up early to make food, then transport it.)

If I can get out of going to Christmas, I'll make a lovely soup of some sort at home. :yes:

Reactions: Freesia