Christmas cooking: What will you be making?

Freesia

not my business.
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I know it seems a bit early to think about but I am trying to think of what to do already, and there is no thanksgiving here so Christmas is the next elaborate cooking occasion and is really only 8 weeks away.

So, I am interested to know what everyone is considering making for the Christmas meal.

We're inviting my mum over so I will get a fake turkey, either Linda McCartney or a Tofurkey if I can find one. I will make it as close to a normal Christmas dinner as possible for my mum's sake and I hope she will enjoy it :)

For us a traditional dinner would be:

- Turkey
- Roast potatoes
- 4/5 veg
- Yorkshire puddings
- Gravy
- Sausages wrapped in bacon
- Stuffing

Then at least 3 dessert options and different sweets and things. I know vegan versions for all of it except Yorkshire puds which I haven't had any luck with. I will try.

That sounds delicious. I wish we could get those here. I did see a recipe online for making one from scratch but it looked a bit labour intensive. What sort of sides do you have with your roast?

Oh, that all sounds very nice. Last year I made a nut/lentil loaf and some gravy and had roasted vegetables (potato, sweet potatoes) and peas and green beans with it and 2 kinds of stuffing. It was very nice.

The year before was my first Christmas as a vegetarian and I made a veggie lasagna which was also nice.

I am kind of thinking of making something lighter this year as I wonder if it is going to be hotter than last year. But I am not sure.

Last year we didn't "do" Christmas at all, we were both working and it was a normal day. The year before my nan was still here and I had the same as everyone else minus the meat, which was more than filling enough! I've never tried vegan turkey meat, I will make a nice gravy to mask the taste if necessary ;)

Reactions: Freesia
Certainly not too early if you consider stores were putting out Christmas stuff before Halloween! :) it will be here before we know it.

We tend to have the same stuff every year. I usually try and come up with a side dish that's new...I'll come back when I can get to my desktop...I hate typing from my iPhone. It's so tedious especially when I'm so much better with a keyboard! Ugh.

^ Will be cool to hear what sides you are having!

yes all the chrristmas stuff is in the supermarket already. I was thinking of having the same thing last year but I am also considering what the omnis are having because I can match my food to theirs, ie last year I had the same stuffing as them and the same vegetables. I remember a sage and onion stuffing, and there was also a really nice lemon stuffing.

At the same time though many years ago we used to have seafood salad as a main dish. So I kind of have this idea in mind too, a salad main with a creamy dressing, perhaps a fish style tofu salad with a sort of pink seafood cocktail dressing. But it is only an idea.

Reactions: KLS52
I haven't had a Christmas dinner in forever, my family is spread out all over the place. But I do a lot of Christmas baking and send it out to everyone.
I typically make:
Banana Bread
Pumpkin Bread
Soft Lemon Cookies
Molasses Cookies
Ginger Cookies
Triple Chocolate Mocha Almond Bark
This year I'll also probably be adding Double Chocolate Oatmeal Banana Cookies to the packages.

Back when we did make dinner, the sweet potato dishes were always the best.

Reactions: Freesia and KLS52
That sounds really delicious, especially the chocolate bark, and the ginger cookies.

I'm very interested in the soft lemon cookies...

I am thinking of making a veggie pot pie with mashed potatoes and gravy and cranberry sauce for sides.
For dessert, I probably will have a selection of Christmas cookies plus apple pie, cranberry nut bread and fudge.

I am thinking of making a veggie pot pie with mashed potatoes and gravy and cranberry sauce for sides.
For dessert, I probably will have a selection of Christmas cookies plus apple pie, cranberry nut bread and fudge.

That sounds like a truly, authentic Olde Christmas menu. Lovely !:lick:
I can already hear the Christmas carols in the background.......

That sounds like a truly, authentic Olde Christmas menu. Lovely !:lick:
I can already hear the Christmas carols in the background.......
Thanks :). I likely will be traveling for Christmas, so this will be easy to transport and share.

I had a really nice Christmas dinner last year at my in-law's home. IIRC there were all types of roasted vegetables and side salads and I brought along some vegan roast beef. I had fresh fruit and sorbet after as well as lots of accidentally vegan crisps and snacks with salsas and other dips during the rest of the day. I had one present of special fruity vegan wine supplied to me too.:drool:

I'm not sure about this year as we have our dogs now and I wouldn't want to leave them alone and we can't bring them either as my in-laws have lots of animals too so I will probably just be cooking a meal for the two of us.:)

I had a really nice Christmas dinner last year at my in-law's home. IIRC there were all types of roasted vegetables and side salads and I brought along some vegan roast beef. I had fresh fruit and sorbet after as well as lots of accidentally vegan crisps and snacks with salsas and other dips during the rest of the day. I had one present of special fruity vegan wine supplied to me too.:drool:

I'm not sure about this year as we have our dogs now and I wouldn't want to leave them alone and we can't bring them either as my in-laws have lots of animals too so I will probably just be cooking a meal for the two of us.:)

That sounds like an enjoyable Christmas, being with your pets and oh/partner together with lots of Vegan
goodies!:)

Reactions: thefadedone

A veggie pot pie is a really good idea. I am definitely considering it as one of the options. Especially one that is really gravy filled.

I'll probably make a squash and zucchini casserole w/ cashews like I do every year. It's pretty popular in my family

Reactions: PTree15