Chinese Bean Curd

T

thinman

I was in the Chinese supermarket some years ago and saw what was labeled Bean Curd in the Tofu section so bought a pack. It was basically Tofu but much firmer than the very firm, very dense but very good. Look for it.

Hmmm, my favorite tofy is extra, or super firm, so I wonder if what you're describing is the same?
Cleveland Tofu is local, and while it isn't the most dense, it is firmer than packaged firm tofu. It is in a square block, packed in water, but more "dry" than most.
1596992076317.png

Reactions: PTree15
I never understood what the difference is between bean curd and tofu. Is bean curd just firm tofu? Is it a language/ethnicity thing - 'tofu' being Japanese in origin and 'bean curd' being the preferred term by people of Chinese origin/background?

Reactions: Andy_T
Bean curd is technically what you get when you add the coagulent to the soy milk, before you press it into tofu.Like cheese curds.
they are used interchangeably in restaurants and recipe

• Informative
Reactions: Blues
It's firmer than your firmest, it's like only a 1/4" thick and I've only seen it at a Chinese supermarket. I bought super firm at a supermarket but the bean curd was firmer than that.

It's something to look out for at a Chinese store, a good replacement for chicken. It's very dry, no water.

• Informative
Reactions: Forest Nymph
It's firmer than your firmest, it's like only a 1/4" thick and I've only seen it at a Chinese supermarket. I bought super firm at a supermarket but the bean curd was firmer than that.

It's something to look out for at a Chinese store, a good replacement for chicken. It's very dry, no water.
Was it vacuum packed? Or baked, or fried?
OH wait- I remember the large Chinese supermarket I used to go to had thin sliced squares of tofu. I believe they were smoked, they were sold in a pack, each about a 2 inch square. They were kinda chewy. I don't remember what they were called, but probably didn't have anything but the ingredients in English

We have a tofu shop here and they sell tofu sticks that are extremely firm for snacking. I usually get their Extra Firm when I buy a regular block for cooking. Best tofu I've ever had in my life, no more mystery about how tofu is so great in nice restaurants.

I have not bought this dry Chinese bean curd, and I'm a lover of Asian markets. I think it's partly because I'm not a huge fan of "shelf-stable" Asian tofu unless I have no other options, so I may not have been looking hard enough.

I'm usually picking up condiments, sauces, noodles, or snacks. I love Japanese sticky rice with just a splash of rice vinegar and a dash of togorashi 7 spice. I keep meaning to try natto.

We have a tofu shop here and they sell tofu sticks that are extremely firm for snacking. I usually get their Extra Firm when I buy a regular block for cooking. Best tofu I've ever had in my life, no more mystery about how tofu is so great in nice restaurants.

I have not bought this dry Chinese bean curd, and I'm a lover of Asian markets. I think it's partly because I'm not a huge fan of "shelf-stable" Asian tofu unless I have no other options, so I may not have been looking hard enough.

I'm usually picking up condiments, sauces, noodles, or snacks. I love Japanese sticky rice with just a splash of rice vinegar and a dash of togorashi 7 spice. I keep meaning to try natto.
Please share your natto experience! If anything like my stores you'll have to read label after label to find the one without something adverse--unless you can speak with someone...

Please share your natto experience! If anything like my stores you'll have to read label after label to find the one without something adverse--unless you can speak with someone...

I'm pretty sure we have natto at the co-op where everyone speaks English. I just have not been brave! I want to make it in the traditional Japanese way - with whatever spices or sauce - so it will be optimum, and not a disconcerting or less-than-ideal experience (you know, like those people who hate tofu who either don't know how to prepare it, or eat lower quality tofu straight from the package). I tend to like Japanese cuisine so I'm hopeful.

I think the local snack tofu sticks I described in my last post are exactly what you described in yours - I get the smoked ones.

Natto is awesome! You buy it in Asian shops in small, deep-frozen containers that look something like this:

1598345775580.png

Inside, there are the fermented beans and two small, sealed plastic baggies supposedly containing soy sauce and mustard. As I do not read Japanese, and am not sure whether those seasonings are 100% vegan, I typically do not use them, but replace it with a bit of normal soy sauce. For creaminess, I typically also add a bit of mustard once the natto has de-frosted.

You eat it sparingly as condiment, e.g. a little bit of it, with some spring onions and some shredded nori leaves, on top of white rice, or in sushi.
IT IS VERY STICKY.

1598346041861.png 1598346156516.png

Yes, it is an acquired taste, I have had friends saying it tastes awesome, but once a colleague said it was "the vilest thing he had ever eaten in his life" - that was not a very adventurous colleague, however.

Last edited:
Natto is awesome! You buy it in Asian shops in small, deep-frozen containers that look something like this:

View attachment 22217

Inside, there are the fermented beans and two small, sealed plastic baggies supposedly containing soy sauce and mustard. As I do not read Japanese, and am not sure whether those seasonings are 100% vegan, I typically do not use them, but replace it with a bit of normal soy sauce. For creaminess, I typically also add a bit of mustard once the natto has de-frosted.

You eat it sparingly as condiment, e.g. a little bit of it, with some spring onions and some shredded nori leaves, on top of white rice, or in sushi.
IT IS VERY STICKY.

View attachment 22218 View attachment 22219

Yes, it is an acquired taste, I have had friends saying it tastes awesome, but once a colleague said it was "the vilest thing he had ever eaten in his life" - that was not a very adventurous colleague, however.
I have tried it, wanted to be able to eat it so badly, as it sounds like the healthiest food on the planet! I have to agree with your coworker. I tried it so many ways. I think yellow mustard or balsamic vinegar were the best.
Crap, now I want to try it again :fp: o_O

View attachment 22217

IT IS VERY STICKY.

View attachment 22218 View attachment 22219

The mustard is apparently vegan, but "tare" is eel sauce so that is mostly not vegan except in the Japanese brand with the green label, supposedly, included in this photo:

1598556911171.png

The kind I bought was made in California (this is one of the many benefits of living in a state full of Asians and Pacific-Islanders) and bought at the co-op, so did not contain the little convenience packages which I guess are common in Japan.