Chess Anyone?

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I was wondering whether any members play chess?

In the real world, I know only one person who plays so that makes it difficult to play against someone who isn't a computer. As we all know the computer always wins so that's not much fun.

About 8.6% of the world’s population or roughly 700 million people play chess.
Majority of these players will never reach even 1000 rating level which is considered to be
a beginner’s strength.

10 Reasons Why Most People Are Not Good at Chess (and how to fix it)

Reactions: Ahimsa
I was talking about chess yesterday with my husband, weirdly enough. :D I saw something that looked like a backgammon set and it reminded me of games I played when I was a kid. I can't remember how to play most of them now.

• Love
Reactions: shyvas
I used to, years ago. I was no expert/champion by any means but I enjoyed it.

• Love
Reactions: shyvas
What was that game girls used to play in the playground where you had to clap your hands together?

I play chess - this is me: Karl (maxflax) - Chess Profile

I have mostly played against colleagues and ex-colleagues, but I'm happy to play against people here as well :)

Edit: I learnt to play as a child, and used to play against my computer as well as friends. At one point I managed to win against the computer - Colossus Chess on the Commodore 64. I hadn't played much after that until some colleagues started a sort of chess club some years ago.

Last edited:
I play chess - this is me: Karl (maxflax) - Chess Profile

I have mostly played against colleagues and ex-colleagues, but I'm happy to play against people here as well :)

Edit: I learnt to play as a child, and used to play against my computer as well as friends. At one point I managed to win against the computer - Colossus Chess on the Commodore 64. I hadn't played much after that until some colleagues started a sort of chess club some years ago.

Like for 2 minutes if you play with me. :laughing:

I like chess but mostly play puzzles or vs a computer. Sometimes I use FICS to play against other people. In late high school I was pretty serious about it and would play up to 10 games a day. I liked to play queen's gambit and pirc defense back then but I prefer the more open king's pawn games now. And I still make stupid mistakes every game!