Chemistry Chemistry...

AddieB

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Any other chemistry nerds out there?

I currently study organic pollutants...

Chemistry has always been a bit over my head (despite taking several chemistry classes in college). Weren't you studying triclosan or something like that? Any results yet?

The post-doc I worked with was doing triclosan and I was helping out - best to avoid using it (incase that wasn't obvious)!

Yes it was obvious! I have been avoiding stuff for years, and people would look at me like I had my tinfoil hat on when I was complaining how hard it was to find nice soap without it lol!

It's insane, that stuff is in everything! Soap, toothpaste, children's toys :eek:

Toys? Really!? Does it have to be disclosed on the packaging? We try to buy all natural toothpastes, soaps, etc but with toys we are kind of whatever because he spends so little time with each one.

I did it for A level and detested it. I think it was mostly to do with the teacher who was one of those nasty people that seemed to go into teaching with the sole purpose of bullying people younger than herself, but also the syllabus was very uninspiring. It was stuff like the chemistry of petrol and the difference between iodine and iodide, whereas people on the most popular syllabuses were studying much more interesting stuff.

It was the only time in my life I got a B on a final exam instead of an A :/

I had a bio professor like that as an undergrad. Biology isn't my favorite, but she ruined any part of it I did like. My husband and I still talk about how awful she was and it's been numerous years since we had her...

I've never understood why people like that teach...

I had a bio professor like that as an undergrad. Biology isn't my favorite, but she ruined any part of it I did like. My husband and I still talk about how awful she was and it's been numerous years since we had her...

I've never understood why people like that teach...

She was passionate about her subject and clearly loved chemistry. She was either pretentious or had a PhD because she was addressed as Dr. But yeah, you need more than intelligence and knowledge to teach effectively.

I loved biology, we did one of the more common syllabuses and it was amazing.