Cats: A Love-Hate Relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have some valid points I’m just not in agreement with the vitriol you spew.

Yea sure being sad when cat kill lizzards could be termed as "spewing vitriol".

I'm thinking about not writing on this forum again because I think the domination of domesticated cats is not vegan.

Last edited:

Cat Kills Research

• The research combined data on the cat population, hunting rates and spatial distribution to calculate cats kill 377 million birds a year.
  • This is about 3-4% of Australia's 11 billion land birds each year.
  • Cats killing birds has been a contentious issue for more than 100 years, since the spread of feral cats encompassed the entire Australian mainland.
  • Data also suggests feral cats in human-modified landscapes, such as the areas surrounding cities, kill a further 44 million birds each year.
  • Pet cats kill about 61 million birds per year.
  • Cats are kill more than 330 native bird species - about half of all Australia's resident bird species.
  • Researcher found in natural and remote landscapes, 99% of the cat-killed birds are native species
  • Cats are known to kill 71 of Australia's 117 threatened bird species.

Reactions: Vegan Dogs
Kitties rule..
I quite like that this is the most popular post on this thread. Freesia is not even Vegan and she doesn't care about the victims of cats. Well, I do.
Are you sure It's a vegan forum here? Because the most popular people here are "animal lovers" who are not even vegan. #cognitivedissonance

Government statistics that I have seen (not mine) are that cats live an average of 18 years and kill between 9 and 20 creatures every 24 hours.
Each cat cat kills 59130 to 131400 native animals in his life.

Would you kill a cat to save 131400 animals?

Yea sure being sad when cat kill lizzards could be termed as "spewing vitriol".

I'm thinking about not writing on this forum again because I think the domination of domesticated cats is not vegan.
Your prerogative. My issue is you have dedicated an entire thread to hating cats. Do you feel the same way about foxes and coyotes? I love squirrels and chipmunks but they’re killed every day by these predators.
I don’t think anyone is saying they are not sympathetic to the plight of prey animals. I am not a fan of the way nature works. So forgive me, actually don’t bother, if I don’t like your attitude.

Why is there a cat lover thread in this forum and no lizard lover thread?
Please feel free to start a lizard lover thread. We have threads for cats, dogs, rabbits birds...I bet there are at least a few people who would enjoy it.

I wouldn't want to own a cat because I wouldn't want it bringing live mice and birds into the house to "play" with but I also wouldn't hold them responsible for hunting and practicing hunting. I also don't approve of keeping them tied up as some people do. Nature is full of unpleasant things - we humans can't control everything!

I was strolling in my garden. Watering the edible honeysuckles and the rhubarbs. I saw a big beautiful green lizard, Lacerta viridis, in the pleasurable sun. What a beauty! I went back to my work: building a dry stone wall.
Then I saw my neighbour’s obese cat moving fast in the background and realised she had just caught the elegant reptile I admired one hour before… I shouted and tried to save the victim. I almost caught the pussycat but my grip was too weak and she managed to escape with my lizard friend in her mouth. I watched the dreadful killer escape in my neighbour’s garden where I couldn’t possibly go… I gazed at the prey moving between the feline’s jaws. And now I'm full of tears...

That’s the second time she caught a green lizard in my yard; I swear it will be the last! I know, while I’m writing here, the obese pussycat is torturing the lizard. Cats don’t like reptile flesh. It makes them sick. With zero empathy, they just kill for sport and torture for fun.
I’ll build an electric fence around my garden, as planned. And, I swear, I’ll make clear to any cat that they ought to stay away from me.

Tell me “It’s the cycle of life!” as anti-vegan would argue, if you dare! Why love dogs and eat pigs? Why is there a cat lover thread in this forum and no lizard lover thread?

I used to be a cat lover when I was a child. I chose our pussy’s name: Aster, like the flower… I must say we had a great relationship… But that was in the Good ol’ days, the Great ol’ days, the Grand ol’ days! I like her to be the best mouse assassin in town! She slaughtered so many! In the barns, the cellars, the fields… I was so proud of her! We cuddled so often! One morning, she ate a rodent who was intoxicated with rat poison. She must have been very thirsty because of the stuff…. She drank so much water, her tummy might have exploded… Live by the sword, die by the sword!

But anyway… I’ll dedicate this tread to all the victims of our carnivorous beloved pets.
Hello 👋,
I am a vegan and a lover of all animals. I do prefer dogs, but I love my cats.
I agree that it would be better in many ways if all (suitable) cats did live indoors. I love all animals and care about wildlife very, very, very much...
However, I will say that it is in cats’ natures to hunt. It is their natural instincts. It’s what would have kept them alive in the wild...
Humans are different. Humans have a choice and have greater capacity for empathy and morality than cats do. Humans also often have far less instinct to hunt and kill, although humans do more unnecessary violence to other animals than any other species and some humans do hunt and kill animals.
I understand that you’re upset about the lizard, but please try to understand that it is natural instinct for cats to hunt and kill, even if they don’t eat the prey. They possibly don’t actually hunt for “fun”, even if they don’t always eat their prey, even if they let the prey go and then pounce again (they are likely to be practicing their hunting skill when doing this - a natural behaviour which other, wild felines as well as our domesticated feline friends may do as well).
Please don’t hurt or kill that cat, or promote cruelty or killing of cats. It goes against the ethos of veganism to abuse or kill animals unnecessarily, or to promote or support unnecessary killing or cruelty to animals. That cat is still a sentient being with a right to live and live well. That cat still has the right to kindness. As vegans (and as people), we should all be kind, compassionate and loving towards all animals, and all sentient beings, no matter what. Cats have rights and feelings, too.
Instead of putting up an electric fence, maybe you could ask kindly that the cat’s carer keep their cat/s inside all the time? This way, you could help save more wildlife. You could help protect the wildlife in the whole neighbourhood/vicinity rather than just in your garden... If they won’t keep the cat inside all the time, maybe you could try using lots of humane cat repellents and deterrents. You could also put up a better (non-electric) fence that would keep cats out of your garden...
If the lizard died, maybe you could hold a funeral for the lizard and bury him/her properly and let his/her body be eaten by other critters. You could also pray and sing for the lizard and do him/her a grave and plant some native, wildlife friendly flowers, trees and plants in his/her memory, helping other wildlife, too. You could also make a stone grave for the lizard. You could also donate to wildlife charities in his/her memory...
If the lizard is still alive, but suffering, please, please take that lizard to a good vet and/or a wildlife rehabber...
Thanks 😊.

Domestic cats belong in homes, not let out to roam the streets, kill smaller animals or get killed themselves by cars, poisons, humans, or coyotes.
Bye bye Gaspard

• Disagree
Reactions: Gaspard and Brian W
Domestic cats belong in homes, not let out to roam the streets, kill smaller animals or get killed themselves by cars, poisons, humans, or coyotes.
Bye bye Gaspard
Cats, like all animals should have the freedom to follow their instincts. Anything else is cruel. Cats in particular are never totally domestic.

Cats, like all animals should have the freedom to follow their instincts. Anything else is cruel. Cats in particular are never totally domestic.
There is such a divide between the US and other countries. I'll stick to my recommendations for the US, at least in suburban/urban areas, as they are tragically dangerous for cats, as well as cats are for other animals.
Dogs certainly aren't allowed to roam free, why cats?

Reactions: KLS52
All my cats were rescued from parks and the streets, and had to be nursed back to health. They have since been indoors only and none have any inclination to venture out. A catio would be nice, but not necessary

Reactions: Brian W and KLS52
MOD POST
We've changed the thread title to make it sound a bit less hostile. The original title was deemed unsuitable for the forum.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
MOD POST
We've changed the thread title to make it sound a bit less hostile. The original title was deemed unsuitable for the forum.
All right then.
I thought about :
"Cats: A love-hate relashionship"

A vegan who hates on animals is a fraud.
If you love cats despite the fact that they kill so many animals then you are a bird and rodent hater.
I don't hate animals in general. I just hate cats when they torture other animals. Why should I love human when they eat produces from the slaughter house? Why should I love cats when they kill so many native species?
You can call me a fraud. I don't care. You could even call me a d*ckhead or a sc*mbag, I wouldn't care. I care about animals that are tortured and I don't give two sh*ts about band love for cats.

Just a reminder:
  • The research combined data on the cat population, hunting rates and spatial distribution to calculate cats kill 377 million birds a year.
  • This is about 3-4% of Australia's 11 billion land birds each year.
  • Cats killing birds has been a contentious issue for more than 100 years, since the spread of feral cats encompassed the entire Australian mainland.
  • Data also suggests feral cats in human-modified landscapes, such as the areas surrounding cities, kill a further 44 million birds each year.
  • Pet cats kill about 61 million birds per year.
  • Cats are kill more than 330 native bird species - about half of all Australia's resident bird species.
  • Researcher found in natural and remote landscapes, 99% of the cat-killed birds are native species
  • Cats are known to kill 71 of Australia's 117 threatened bird species.

Last edited:
Here is a good example of the way most cat lovers just don't care about other animals: A cat owner make a video of his cat trying to catch a squirrel. (And the squirrel manage to escape).

Basically rather than protecting the squirrel from his cat, the pet owner prefers to go on making his video (it doesn't matter that the squirrel might end up being killed).
And as a result the video gets more than 2M views and 15K thumbs-ups. Basically most people are fine with that. They even liked the way the cat owner didn’t care about the squirrel’s life.

If the lizard died, maybe you could hold a funeral for the lizard and bury him/her properly and let his/her body be eaten by other critters. You could also pray and sing for the lizard and do him/her a grave and plant some native, wildlife friendly flowers, trees and plants in his/her memory, helping other wildlife, too. You could also make a stone grave for the lizard. You could also donate to wildlife charities in his/her memory...
This thread is the lizard funeral. It is a call for justice.

I think the title is much better but I would say that I dislike the predatory behavior/nature of all animals.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
Status
Not open for further replies.