Can a pet cat be vegan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now for those IGNORANT that governments regulate pet foods...i suggest but do not ORDER anyone to try and learn that fact...

I suggest...yet again...people using terms like baby talk "obligate carnivore" need to understand...i have never once seen the Scientific Pet Food Nutritionist official guidelines mention that baby talk even ONCE

What the experts and standard setters of pet food needs talk about...the terms they use...in pages of lists of details of exactly what and in what quantities is needed in pet foods...

are NUTRIENTS

96 pages of details about vitamins...fats...minerals...proteins etc that different pet species need in pet food to be legally sold as "complete nutrition and species appropriate" by law for those pets.

This is the FEDIAF European list...i have already provided the USA FDA AAFCO list link and getting tired of receving abuse and orders about MY ignorance when it is clear others have reading problems and are into judgemental waffle accusing me and ordering me to kill rabbits etc

ok here it is yet again...

the AAFCO list of nutrients needed to be compliant with USA pet food nutrition laws...

oh and let me not forget to mention...something others often fail to mention when talking of feeding rabbits to pet cats...

Let me not forget to mention the animals who are fed to pet cats...are BABIES for 98 percent of them killed in the case of 1 day old suffocated to death male chicks age 1 day old...some like adult size chickens are 6 weeks old...and lambs and piglets are 4 months old

So now...if people want me to be a BABY KILLER i suggest ordering me to kill babies is not acceptable to me an arrogant human who decides who i kill and do not kill...i do not take orders.

The vast majority of “meat” rabbits are killed at three months of age.

Last edited:
In brief, if anyone thinks to post orders to kill animals bred by humans...in a vegan group...and accuses others who do not do so of "ignorance" then at the very least...provide links to supporting peer reviewed expert evidence of why humans need to do that breeding and killing of animals.

Otherwise....i suggest try and educate yourself by reading what others have provided as information and evidence to get out of the IGNORANCE that makes people breed and kill animals.

Which is not VEGAN i remind those who need reminding...breeding and killing animals is not vegan.

I think it worth mentioning this to me and other vegans obvious fact...without having to provide links to evidence to support that simple statement...which was ? for those who have attention deficit disorder...it is not vegan...to breed and kill animals...the level of their intelligence or ability to purr to please us ...is not a criteria to decide whose lives are worth saving or not.

Last edited:
Actuallly it is an interesting to consider this...i have posted this elsewhere i add but no harm in repeating the matter...

What would people think...of...keeping a rescue pet rabbit...and a rescue pet cat or dog...and feeding the rescue pet cat and dog bred and killed rabbits...or that rabbit and breeding and killing rabbits to feed the pet dog and cat yourself ?

well ?

That is what this person ordering me to "get a rabbit" is suggesting...at the same time...keeping a PET rabbit as feeding a pet cat RABBITS i kill that i have had bred specifically for my pet cat food !

Well ?

Surely that is obvious to anyone...even a child of 5 age could understand this point !

If no one actually repies to this question and issue that has been raised not by me but by someone issuing orders to "get a rabbit" and feed pet cats rabbits...as well as keep a rabbit as a pet...because they are intelligent and purr just like cats do for our pleasure ...

Let me try telling you of my experirneces in other forums elsewhere on this topic...where i belong to "TURKEY AND CHICKEN VEGAN SAVE GROUPS"

oh ja...i have rescued TURKEYS from death....

Not practical pets at all...not house trained..not easy or possible to tak on easy leads around to ponts about like dog owners do wtih their handbags on leads...

In those alleged "vegan" groups...some went into rages at me for owning a vegan fed cat !! seriously !

I mean again...what business is it of people to order others around about what they do to animlas hey ? especially if they themselves kill animals bred by humans !!!!

So i said to them...why bother ? going on and on about the vet bills and care of those 6 rescue for show of pretending to be a caring about animals person...when you feed those same animals to your pet cat and dogs ?

Why not just kill those half dozen you own that due to being suffering frankenstein health problems animals of course cost vet bills and are sickly...and mess up the back yard with poops...and feed them to your pet cat and dogs...and just continue feeding the others like them you pay for to be killed ?

Why ? could those people not see the sense in that suggestion I made ?

All i am saying is...why waste time pretending you are saving lives...when you are in fact killing more than even those 6 show piece lives you use to boast about chickens when you are killing dozens of chickens just like them to feed your pet cat and or dog ?

And behond that case...

I have been and anyone can find...rescues asking for donations...money...to keep animals that are a source of income to those rescues of course...

Who have on one side...some "rescue rabbits" and or hens or cockrels ...and on the other side some cages with rescue cats and dogs...

And they feed those rescue caged cats and dogs until they end up killing them if not rehomed...bred and killed by humans rabbits and chickens !!!

Why ? have this LUDICROUS hypocrisy going on at all ?

Why ? are a few show piece rabbits and chickens kept alive...asking for money for their housing and feed...when they could be killed and fed to the preferred species cats and dogs there ? surely...anyoone can see...it is a waste of money...to pay housing and feed for some show case animals that they are paying elsewhere to be bred and killed to feed some other animals there ?

Call me stupid if you wish...but if anyone can explain those simple issues of total opposite effects and moral schizophrenic attitudes ...then it would help us all understand where the principles of "whose lives matter" better hey !

We all wish to understand...how to decide..."who lives and dies and how many lives it is ok to kill for what animals"

and in particular...solve this puzzle...mystery....hypocrisy i prefer to call it...of asking for donations to fund rescue dogs cats and rabbits...yet paying money to breed and kill rabbits to feed those rescue dogs and cats.

Last edited:
Here is my reply ...for myself...not accusing anyone or ordering anyone "what to get" or "what to kill"

If i had a pet snake...pre vegan days...and there were no vegan food or nutrients possible to feed this pathetic captive in a glass tank prisoner of mine once i realised "animals are not ours to breed and force to die"

I would kill the snake.

I would consider...how many LIVES i would take ...that were not mine to take...and decide based on that

Actually with a bit of effort and investigation about nutrients...it is feasable to find nutrients probably to feed a pet pathetic captive snake...but pass that...as this post is about PET CATS

For over 30 years...with no recalls...pet cat vegan cat foods have been sold...with absolutely no FDA or any other pet food government authorities warnings or recalls affecting even ONE brand of them.

So ? since i like most people who take some interest in pet food problems and recalls...i know the easy to find lists that are published widely of recalls of pet foods regularly...and i notice...never a vegan pet food recalled...but LOADS of animal based pet foods and in partricular very obvious to me...RAW pet foods recalled the most....and i read...of THOUSANDS of vet verified sick and dead of recalled pet foods ...but not ONE death or documented sickness of a vegan fed cat or dog linked to diet !!

After 5 years...of the FDA the USA continent pet foods authorities reviews of confirmed by vets over 5 years heart diseases DCM disease ...and lists of the pet foods most eatten by those 500 who died approximately of that DCM disease...NOT ONE was a vegan fed cat or dog ! and many were RAW FED brands that the FDA did not ban or blame immediately as BREED is a very big DCM influence for most of the deaths BREEDS high risk that were involved so the FOODS not blamable with certainty...but...GRAIN FREE was a high correlation....whoops hey...all those saying grains are heart unhealthy for dogs and cats...WRONG it seems very logical that is very wrong...some of those cases i read ALL the details of...had developped DCM soon after going Grain Free hey !

Anyway.

EVIDENCE is what those ordering others to kill rabbits and assessing in the same sentence rabbits to be intelligent animals so not deserving to be put in petfood...need to produce...to justify to those given orders to kill bred by humans rabbits to...of why the intelligence of rabbits means they should be allowed to LIVE yet at the same time be fed to pet cats ?

Where ? are the reports of sick and dead due to vegan pet foods reports ?

It is not good enough for people to claim vegan fed cats and dogs are unhealthy and die on their vegan diets...EVIDENCE is needed to make such waffle accusations

Which are LIES i stress...

Emotive judgemental twaddle statements are not good enough...when ordering others to breed and kill animals is my view...i will not accept such statements and orders without peer reviewed evidence...and evidence of why the FDA pet food government authorities have NEVER ONCE recalled a vegan cat food in over 30 years sold in the USA alone but world wide.

There is plenty evidence of sick and dead due to diets cats and dogs on raw and animal based pet foods..of many brands...and raw pet foods are recalled the most of all "types" of pet foods...

so ?

After proven 30 years of legal sales of vegan dog and cat foods...not ONE recall....NOT ONE...report of a brand of vegan pet foods causing pet cats or dogs to be sick and or die.

Substantiate...any instructions to kill bred by humans animals...or stop ordering others to breed and kill animals like rabbits or whatever or "what to get" as a pet as if animals only have value as things to own for our entertainment.

I am ignoring VeganDogs also, it´s funny how she said some things before that proof she is just a hypocrite..too bad it´s removed now. Just a lady with too much time on her hands.

I am ignoring her also..it´s funny how she said some things before that proof she is just a hypocrite

how rude. i presented a great deal of facts and links to pet food standards authorities.

if you wish to kill animals...fine...meaning that is your choice...i present..being a vegan...information that is intended to SAVE animals lives...different to your wishes...and i do not insult people personally as you just did without proof of accusations...especially when promoting killing animals as you do.

ps as you accused me rudely of being a hypocrite...without providing proof or stating what this accusation of rudeness is based on...i suggest...YOU are the hypocrite...as i say...i am vegan...which means "animals are not mine to use" and i follow legal certified assured human grade pet food standards for my pets and i being vegan do not encourage or participate in breeding and killing captive prisoner animals.

Anyone who does...and calls themselves vegan...is i suggest someone needing to review the definition of so easily thrown about "hypocrite" i suggest.

I am ignoring VeganDogs also, it´s funny how she said some things before that proof she is just a hypocrite..too bad it´s removed now. Just a lady with too much time on her hands.
I'm kinda worried though... Some ignorant people could take this seriously. And that could harm cats. I don't understand why people would want a cat if those humans have meat aversion.
I get it that cats are cute. But so are rabbits. And taking in an animal is a huge responsibility. People should do their homework.
And again, bunnies are perfect pets. They are environmentally friendly, natural herbivores. They make less noise than dogs or cats would, so they are great pets for an apartment. You can teach them tricks, they might not be as good learners as cats would, but they can learn some fun tricks too.

Here are some YouTube channels that I follow:

Also, nice to meet you. I don't think I have met you before here.

One can easily spot 2 matters this person is keen on...

1. Deliberate ignorance about the role of the Government Pet food Authorities...who have never recalled in over 35 years any vegan cat food ever....yet thousands of animal based mostly RAW cat foods that have killed and made sick proven dead and sick due to the recalled pet foods thousands of cats and dogs.

2. Deliberate wish to have rabbits....bunnies bred and killed in of course a non vegan cruel forced death on them in millions as rabbits are deliberately bred specifically for pet foods

I find mocking the deaths of bunnies...rabbits...to feed pet cats distasteful...unethical...cruel...and anyone suggesting as they did this...to be a cruel person and additionally having accused me of being a hypocrite...a hypocrite...for pretending to care about animals like rabbits whilst advocating their deaths for cat food.

i am a vegan...i do not advocate or practice breeding rabbits to kill and use as cat food.

I am fully aware...not ignorant...that this is what rabbits are bred and killed for...cat food.

I own like thousands of others...a healthy thriving vegan fed cat...whose human grade not below human grade as animal based pet foods usually are for pets...is above the AAFCO USA pet food standards

Anyone not mentioning aafco pet food standards or the role of pet food government authorities like the FDA in the USA is indeed very ignorant about nutrition for pets.

Veganism...does not include using bred by humans animals...otherwise known as carnism for those needing to realise that also fact.

"animals are not ours to use" meaning breed and kill...is a simple enough principle for those with any principles to understand.

They forgot to put the RABBIT in this picture in the FOOD category...that is EXACTLY what millions of rabbits are bred and killed for...PET FOOD.

Except that i...being a Vegan...am not a "hypocrite" as this rude person called me....i do not tell people who want to be ignorant and cruel to animals that they need to breed and kill rabbits to feed a pet cat...because the educated informed people can easily find out that the Government Pet food experts and Pet food standard setters criteria are exceeded mostly by vegan cat foods and have contrary to animal based cat foods never in over 30 years had a recall or evidence of sick or killed pet cats.

They involve no need to breed and kill bunnies...rabbits...to feed pet cats...that is what this person mocking rabbits is suggesting people should do...which is not vegan anyway.

Millions of bunnies, rabbits are bred and killed at age 3 months only...to feed pet cats. That is a fact and truth....and i ....being vegan...find that distasteful and unnecessary. It is not vegan...to breed and kill bunnies for cat food...or any other animal.

It is like talking with carnists here ...which is not what so called vegans should be like...but that is what non vegans do...breed and kill animals.

Unlike most selfish pet owners...i rescued some turkeys...the sorts of animals people kill to eat or put in pet foods...you know...farm animals...the kind people usually mock and treat worse than pets...there are "lines drawn" in species of animals that non vegans draw...to distinguish between PETS that are loved and FARM ANIMALS that are just killing food fodder animals.

Rabbits...fall into the mostly bred and kill for pet food farmed animals category.

I would not...kill my turkeys...sickly animals unable to fly as bred as frankestein overweight in pain legs and hearts and breathing problems suffering farm breed animals...i would not kill them to feed my vegan fed cat or vegan fed dogs. Nor would i breed and kill rabbits to feed my vegan fed cat and dogs.

others...can do that kind of thing. I am vegan...so i do not.

line.jpg

Last edited:
rabbits....bred in millions for cat food. Meet the cat food bunnies...that is where the millions bred and killed age 3 months old never having seen the light of day for 99 percent of them are killed for...except not for my vegan fed cat.

Crammed into battery cages and suffering in horrific conditions, these beautiful white rabbits may be destined for pet food bought by unsuspecting consumers in the US and abroad.

They will never see daylight or forage on grass, instead they will spend their lives painfully on wire floors – sometimes alongside the carcasses of dead cage-mates – in order to let their waste fall through to a pit below them.

Many have had their ears chewed off, their bodies covered in ulcerating sores, rock from side to side to relieve the pain from bleeding, ulcerated paws.

miserable lives of more than 330 million rabbits slaughtered every year for their meat.
1597010056193.png

Breeding rabbits are usually kept until around 18 to 36 months of age.

RSPCA details...of how cat food is produced....

Farming rabbits
Production systems
Cage systems
Example of a cage system for rearing farmed rabbits © RSPCA

Farmed rabbits are often housed in buildings containing rows of bare wire cages, which may be arranged in a single row or stacked in two or more tiers.
Growing rabbits
  • Eight or more growing rabbits are often kept together in a cage of around 0.56 square metres in floor area. Just over an A4-sized area of floor space for each rabbit in the cage.
  • Cages are often only around 45cm in height.
  • The young rabbits (called kits or pups) are weaned at four weeks of age and slaughtered for meat at around 8 to 12 weeks, when they've reached around 2 kilogrammes in weight.

oh yes...never mind their deaths hey...for non vegans...this is what pet food is made of...

Rabbit meat has a generous proportion of protein. Protein from animals and fish is advantageous when compared to plant-based protein as it contains the full range of amino acids. Also, some studies show that animal protein is more easily absorbed by a dog’s digestive system than plant-based protein.

Therefore protein from meat such as Rabbit should be at the core of any dog’s nutrition profile. A dog food formula that contains a sufficient proportion of rabbit meat will provide adequate protein for the growth, repair, and maintenance of a dog’s muscles.

Left to rot: Inside the horrific farms where caged rabbits are reared for British PET FOOD
THESE harrowing pictures show the shocking reality of life for farm rabbits who are crammed into tiny battery-style cages destined for PET FOOD in Britain.

The animals are confined to small wire cages, which they are born in and where they stay until slaughter 80 days later.

80 days old ? 3 months old !! THAT LONG hey....well my vegan fed cat is nearly 4 years old...and those 20 years old vegan fed cats lived far longer than those bunnies lol hey...wonder why....

Well because people like to kill bunnies and feed them to pet cats is why 300 million per year bunnies end up in pet food hey.

A YouGov survey for Compassion in World Farming revealed that 97 per cent of people in the UK do not know that rabbits are the most caged farm animal in the EU.

Seventy-seven per of of those asked believed the most caged farm animal was chicken.

1597010636281.png

Last edited:
ok....so for those insisting on feeding their pet cats and advising others to feed their pet cats bunnies...rabbits...some more details...i personally i repeat have never fed my vegan fed cat animals like bunnies...no need to...i feed her legal above pet food government standards human grade species appropriate for cats vegan cat food...

but hey...some people on this thread are insisting on feeding cats bunnies...so let me give some more information about this...

“Fryer” rabbits intended for meat are only 8-12 weeks of age at the time of slaughter, which is often before domestic rabbits would be weaned from their mothers. “Fryer” rabbit is the most typical rabbit meat available, because it is the most profitable for the producer. On average, a commercial dressed fryer rabbit carcass weighs 2.75lbs. (1.2kg). With some supplements and water added, a 2.75 lb. fryer carcass makes 14 days of food for one cat. In one year, a single cat would eat 24 rabbits of that size.

WOW hey...worth breeding and killing bunnies youselves hey if you want to feed your pet cats non vegan...at 10 years old cat life...they will have made you breed and kill...

240 rabbits lives !

Pleased about that are you hey ?

I on the other hand...will not breed and kill 240 rabbits for my vegan fed cat.

Last edited:
SPRINGBORO, Pa. -- Even rabbits can't breed fast enough for Tracy Murphy's customers.

At Hare Today, her small farm here, Mrs. Murphy spends seven days a week slaughtering, packing and shipping rabbit. She's buying rabbit herds from neighbors and building an extra shelter to boost capacity to 500 female breeders from 200. Her freezers -- two walk-ins and a bank of industrial units in a converted garage -- are chockablock with whole four-pound rabbits, ground meat in five-pound tubes and sticks of jerky.

How Do Cats Like Rabbits? Very Much, And Preferably Raw

ah here we have RAW FEEDERS talking as usual about giving TAURINE SUPPLEMENTS to raw fed cats...that is right...because farmed meat has lost the taurine by the time fed to a pet cat...and guess what...taurine supplements fed to all cats are ? SYNTHETIC SO VEGAN...well well well hey...

but carry on...breeding and killing bunnies hey...ignoring that the most essential nutrient TAURINE is actually VEGAN ...

f you raise your own rabbits, you can include even more of the carcass for meeting your pets' nutritional needs. You can also supplement with additional nutrients, such as taurine for cats, if you think your animals need it.

oh deary me..as usual...raw pet food recalls this year....

and no vegan cat or dog pet food recalls hey ! all those vegan pet foods around...and not ONE recalled in over 35 years ? how can that be ?

Never mind asking that silly ? question hey...just keep killing bunnies hey....

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Purina is recalling four brands of rabbit, turkey and chick feeds sold in 32 states, including Pennsylvania. The administration said the recall involves multiple lots of Purina Rabbit Feed, Purina Turkey Feed, Country Acres Rabbit Feed and DuMOR Chick Starter/Grower Feed.3 mars 2020

FDA for those IGNORANT of this are...the U.S. Food and Drug Administration government top level food authorities ...in charge of pet food controls for those ignorant of that fact.

oooh what a CUTE bunny...nice picture to attract the bunny killers wanting these dead to feed their pet cats hey...except of course this one like many was unhealthy and poisonous to pet cats and recalled...

1597011369905.png

Last edited:
can no one...find just ONE VEGAN PET FOOD RECALL this year or the past 35 years ?? ???

why not ?

how can it be ? that legal "species appropriate" for cats at all life stages vegan cat foods have not been recalled ? surely...when THOUSANDS of pet cats and dogs were killed and made sick on animal bunnies and other animals content pet foods...surely...the Government Experts in charge of Recalling and Setting Pet food standards...could have found just ONE out of the dozens of vegan cat food producers in the world sold world wide to recall ?

Are the FDA ...the Government Pet food authority experts not doing their job properly hey ?

Do the FDA not realise that AAFCO also USA government pet food standards producers have STANDARDS that by law pet foods sold to the public need to meet ?

Do these expert scientists in nutrition controlling at the highest level of government the pet food standards...not understand the baby words "obligate carnivore" ? why ? do they only talk about "nutrients" and the standards needed in detail for those ?

Last edited:
I do not apologise...for not breeding and killing bunnies...rabbits age 3 months old when killed...to feed my vegan fed cat.

Others who like to do that to bunnies, rabbits...may of course do as they please.

Get a bunny ...or several bunnies...to breed baby bunnies from to kill and feed a pet cat...if not a vegan and liking the killing of animals...especially bunnies...rabbits...well they are specifically bred and killed in their hundreds of millions for cat foods hey...so why not do that yourself hey ? It will involve breeding and killing as the figures provided show...about 240 bunnies over a 10 year period...but strongly suggested that taurine supplements that are always vegan ones be added to the pet cat food as taurine disappears fast in dead flesh that is frozen dethawed or cooked.

In fact...back in the 1970s...pet cats were going blind and dying...the pet food makers discovered that the meat ...animals bodies based cat foods...were missing taurine ! which causes cats to go blind and die when missing as a nutrient...so from then onwards...synthetic so vegan taurine was added to ALL commercially sold cat foods.

Whoops I do apologise...if people did not know that fact...but it is difficult to educate people who rant about taurine being essential to cat nutrition and telling people it is only found in "meat" the word people use to describe dead animals killed by humans....the world is full of "ignorance" about nutrition for sure...and this "taurine" issue is a very clear area of big ignorance out there amoungst cat owners.

Strange that hey...i mean it is so EASY to find that out ...the raw cat feeding expert websites who explain about giving taurine supplements if feeding RAW to pet cats...do explain this issue well. They state...the synthetic taurine is just fine and does exactly the same as natural taurine.

However...hey people other than myself here on this thread are not interested in nutrition details really it seems clear.

Last edited:
I have 2 vegan fed dogs, a vegan fed cat and 4 turkeys.

There is nothing to it. Pet foods sold to the public have to comply with strict pet food laws and standards...the only risky not well labelled as not measured nutrients pet foods are in fact the RAW pet foods sold...which no vet organisation in the world recommend but all strongly criticise....and have the greatest number of pet food RECALLS.

No world vet organisation has made any criticism of vegan pet foods ever. All the major world vet organisations have strongly criticised RAW pet foods and those are the ones with the greatest regular numbers of recalls with PROVEN DEATHS and SICK pets documented and reported publically by offical reports done by vets.

The most recent Government Food authority year survey of sick and dead pets due to DCM as officially reported by VETS as confirmed DCM...a heart disease....was the FDA ( is the USA Government Food Authority controlling pet foods and human foods who recall any seriously life or health threatening pet foods regularly and publish them on their public website) latest report came out in 2020 February and over a period of 5 years...about 500 dogs mostly and about 10 cats were identified as having died due to DCM. The most associated DIETS and PET FOODS of those dead were listed. NOT ONE of the pet foods listed was a VEGAN pet food. Several were RAW mostly pet foods and the other correlation was "grain free" pet foods figured highly in the list of pet foods that the dead pets had been on.

In over 35 years...yes that is how long vegan pet foods have been sold....the oldest producer being EVOLUTION of the USA...in over 35 years of vegan pet foods being sold...never one recall ever of any of them.

NUTRIENTS needed for "species appropritate" cats or dogs are by law what has to be in any pet food labelled as "complete" nutrition for any life stage of the pet life species.

If as people do...people wish to kill bunnies, rabbits to feed their pet cat...that is their decision but it is unproven as necessary.

There is no peer reviewed study supporting RAW pet foods...in fact ALL the studies done conclude those diets are lacking and unsafe nutritionally for the pets concerned. Any mention by any world vet organisation about RAW PET FOODS is negative. There is NO such mention made about vegan pet foods.

Many prescription pet foods are VEGAN/VEGETARIAN to cure many health problems in pets since decades.

There is no peer reviewed study on pet foods that supports any meat content pet food over vegan pet food. Fact.

There are several peer reviewed studies on pet foods that support health benefits of vegan diets for cats and dogs having compared them to meat content pet food.

The USA pet food standard authority is...AAFCO....who produce a long list of all the nutrients and their measurements needed at all life stages for different species of pets.

The FDA ...the USA government food authority ...are responsible for controlling pet foods sold to the public. It is ILLEGAL to label pet food as "complete nutrition" if not meeting the AAFCO standards. The level of details provided on labels...also a legally controlled issue...provide information to see the level of proteins fats and essential nutrients that have by law to be "species appropriate" and "disgestible for the species" etc and all the 20 world wide vegan pet food producers who are VEGAN companies show that the nutrient levels in their vegan pet foods EXCEED the AAFCO standards.

If, as people do...people wish to kill bunnies, rabbits, to feed their pet cat...that is their decision, but it has not been proven as necessary. There is no peer reviewed report supporting the killing and feeding of rabbits or any animal to pet cats. Fact.

The term used often by people ignorant about nutrition of "obligate carnivore" is not a term that the expert scientists controlling pet foods at the top national level use... they deal in scientific words like "nutrients" meaning fats proteins minerals amino acids etc in very detailed quantified measures.

Despite the myths and fantasies out there...it is also a FACT that the protein fed to zoo captive wild cats like lions and tigers is hugely SOY plant based proteins. Zoo diet sheets available to view of suppliers of zoo animal feeds show this clearly...a huge amount of PLANT protein based content is the norm. Little Tyke was a famous USA lioness who never ate meat for her entire life.

ps here is an extract of the main carnivores in zoos diet sheet information for felines...FELINES or FELIDS mean "cat species"

" Benefits • Contains nutrients essential for all Feline species. • Provided as a powder which when mixed with hot water provides an acceptable form for the animals to consume. • Highly palatable. • Replaces meat and requires no supplementation. • Contains Taurine an essential amino acid for feline species. "

Here is a list of the PLANT BASED PROTEINS in the zoo lion feed sold....oh and by the way i repeat...that a 2020 HILLS non vegan pet food producer published a report showing CATS digested plant proteins even better than dogs do...in the oer 90% digestibility range.

" Ingredients Dehulled Extracted Toasted Soya, Maize, Wheat, Maize Gluten Meal, Soya Bean Oil, Wheat Germ, Sugar Beet Pulp, Yeast, Minerals and Vitamins "

and this is what is per the EXPERTS in WILD LIONS AND TIGER HYPER CARNIVORE SPECIES nutrition experts say about what to add as supplements to any RAW meat fed to them...

" Benefits • Convenient and economical to feed. • Contains vitamins and minerals suitable for carnivores. • Replaces nutrients which are low or deficient in raw meat. Ingredients Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E (dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate), Vitamin B12 (Cyanocobalamin), Calcium D-Pantothenate, Mono Sodium Glutamate, Nicotinic Acid, Vitamin A (Retinyl Acetate), Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol), Vitamin B1 (Thiamine HCL), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCL), Calcium Iodate Monohydrate, Folic Acid, Vitamin K (Menadione Sodium Bisulphate). (Ingredients may be subject to change due to seasonal availability) "

aha...here is the full analysis...and this...me being not IGNORANT but FAMILIAR with the AAFCO pet food nutrients standards...could compare this if I wished to to see if this analysis on publically sold for LION HYPER CARNIVORE SPECIES animal is in line or not...

" Calculated analysis (Unless otherwise stated nutrients are expressed as total calculated levels) Moisture % 10.00 Crude Fat % 13.29 Crude Protein % 30.76 Crude Fibre % 2.32 Ash % 6.32 NFE % 35.97 Lysine % 1.60 Methionine % 0.60 Taurine % 0.16 Metabolisable Energy (ME) MJ/Kg 16.84 Calcium % 1.17 Phosphorus % 1.20 Sodium % 0.23 Magnesium % 0.14 Copper mg/Kg 15.24 Vit. A (added as Retinyl Acetate) IU/g 18.74 Vit. D3 (added as Cholecaliferol) IU/g 1.87 Vit. E (added as dl-alpha-tocopherol acetate) IU/Kg 98.84 "

aha...as per PET FOOD LAWS the terms used i see are...

" Suitable species Most species of small Felids, Ferrets and other carnivores "

well well hey...all those PLANTS as the basis of PROTEINS and the TAURINE added as a synthetic so vegan as in all commercial cat foods...fed to zoo lions hey ! SOY BOYS they are hey...who due to living in captivity...getting human prepared food ...live longer than their wild counterparts.

Why ? might we ask ourselves...would RAW MEAT provided to zoo lions be LOW or DEFICIENT in essential nutrients ?

To understand this important point...which is the SAME PROBLEM for those feeding PET CATS...one has to understand ...or try to understand...the unnatural process of humans keeping unnatural farm animals who are fed also unnatural feeds created by humans and the killing freezing and cooking if cooked processed mean essential nutrients like TAURINE in particular but not exclusively are lost in the process.

That is ONE explanation...but also...the NUTRIENTS in FARM animals are TOTALLY DIFFERENT to those in WILD animals is another explanation...for example ? FATS are DOUBLE the wild animal levels in farm animals...so very heart unhealthy ...the OMEGAS are massively heart unhealthy in FARM animals...the ratio for example of omega 6 to in farm chickens is up to 40 to 1...when the heart healthy ratio in wild animals is up to a max of 10 to 1. Why are nutrients like fats omegas etc so different in farmed animals compared to wild animals ? due to what farm animals are FED of course by humans ! it is unnatural for any animal to be kept as a prisoner and fed by a hairless ape human ...who put also antibiotics and other hormones and chemicals into farmed captive animals.

These are FACTS not opinions by the way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.