Can a pet cat be vegan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they shouldn't be fed a vegan diet. If it bothers you to feed them meat, it would be better to look for a naturally vegan pet, like a rabbit. Although a few may seem to have survived a vegan diet, there is no way to know how they actually felt on the diet.

Just like you can survive on big macs and fries, you'll feel like crap while doing so. Think how much better you feel on a healthy diet than you do eating junk food. The same would go for cats, they might survive on an unnatural, unhealthy, carb filled diet, but no doubt won't feel as well as they would on their natural diet.

Cats were not made to be pets for for humans, so I think it's incredibly selfish to make them go on an unhealthy diet just so that they can fit into your lifestyle to be a pet. How is it any different than declawing/mutilating them to fit into your lifestyle?

How about a mention of animals bred by humans killed in all that ramble ?

Are they invisible ? Just things to call meat ? Do their lives not matter ?

I think when purporting to discuss animals they should be mentioned and given as many words relating to this topic as a pet cat

Ps I have a vegan Fed cat and object to being judged selfish for not killing animals....I am vegan....Animals are not mine to kill

What Im trying to say... cats also have their own personality and when its a cool, decent cat it may have no problem with a vegan diet, but if your cat is lower trailer park material (happens... you save a cat from the shelter and turns out as a human it would be voting for Trump) and you move to the countryside? I somehow have the feeling most owners of (not totaly settled yet) vegan cats would soon find a little suprise in their bed or at the doorstep...

A cat's health and happiness on a vegan diet depends on the nutrition content of that vegan diet, and the taste quality of that food. It's more a matter of biology, not personality.

You and I both know that it's not cool to insult people who live in mobile home parks. Good heavens, where is the civility?

Also, is it accurate to stereotype people who voted for Trump? There are people who voted wholeheartedly for Trump, there are people who voted against Hillary Clinton, and there are people who didn't foresee how odd things would become.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Ohzen
Again, I would certainly hope people considering turning a cat vegan would be willing to back down if it didn't work out. Liver damage can begin pretty quickly if cats resist food, and while some cats have been shown to thrive, that has not been true for all. You should be prepared to have more vet bills to track bloodwork and urinalysis, which is pricey.
If you're not successful are you willing to feed the cat a meat diet? If not I would hope you don't adopt a cat

A cat's health and happiness on a vegan diet depends on the nutrition content of that vegan diet, and the taste quality of that food. It's more a matter of biology, not personality.

You and I both know that it's not cool to insult people who live in mobile home parks. Good heavens, where is the civility?

Also, is it accurate to stereotype people who voted for Trump? There are people who voted wholeheartedly for Trump, there are people who voted against Hillary Clinton, and there are people who didn't foresee how odd things would become.
Sorry... most of it was ment ironical but...

A pet cats health and happiness depends on its "owner" and/or the place it lives.

I respect people who choose to live in mobile homes very much, support and even lived among them. However, I do not encourage a system where people who had less possibillities become the target of bad jokes while still beeing allowed to vote.

It would be a blessing for the left-winged if Trump voters could all be a lil more stereotypical. But they are not...

Hillary vs Trump? Believe in the Idol... not the Ideal!

Last edited:
We have this vicious creature stalking our barns at night.... noone dared to get close enough and still lives to say it really is a felidae. Yet it thrives....

I know many cats that became older than 20 because they made a deal with the devil.

Many animals are opportunist because wasting energy is natures biggest sin. If you are able to deliver proper nutrition to your petanimal, why should it care to hunt? 1st world problem.... "Can my cat be vegan too?"

Sorry folks but I have the feeling this whole debate about veganism started at the wrong side. Discussions like this only gives the wrong ppl ammunition.

Last edited:
We have this vicious creature stalking our barns at night.... noone dared to get close enough and still lives to say it really is a felidae. Yet it thrives....

I know many cats that became older than 20 because they made a deal with the devil.

Many animals are opportunist because wasting energy is natures biggest sin. If you are able to deliver proper nutrition to your petanimal, why should it care to hunt? 1st world problem.... "Can my cat be vegan too?"

Sorry folks but I have the feeling this whole debate about veganism started at the wrong side. Discussions like this only gives the wrong ppl ammunition.

Not sure what your point is..my cat is indoors not outside killing. I feed my cat vegan. I am vegan I pay for pet foidfood and or animals deaths if I were not vegan. End of no problems.

Again, I would certainly hope people considering turning a cat vegan would be willing to back down if it didn't work out. Liver damage can begin pretty quickly if cats resist food, and while some cats have been shown to thrive, that has not been true for all. You should be prepared to have more vet bills to track bloodwork and urinalysis, which is pricey.
If you're not successful are you willing to feed the cat a meat diet? If not I would hope you don't adopt a cat
G

I have never heard of a cat or human unable to thrive fed vegan

Nutrients are what any animal needs to thrive

Animals are not meat....they have names....their lives are not ours to take from them

I have never heard of a cat or human unable to thrive fed vegan

Nutrients are what any animal needs to thrive

Animals are not meat....they have names....their lives are not ours to take from them

It's possible for cats to be healthy on a properly-formulated vegan diet, but there aren't enough peer-reviewed studies to state conclusively that all cats can thrive on a vegan diet.

The American Veterinary Medical Association published this small study on cats being fed a vegan diet: Link to study . In the study, 14 of 17 cats had blood taurine concentrations that were within recommended values. The other 3 cats did not.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone. However, given the sparsity of studies, it seems wise to be cautious about raising a cat on a vegan diet.

Hi all,

I'm Dolores and I'm new here. THis is my first post. I'm a person who wants to go vegan, not even vegan yet. I say all of this because I want you to understand where I'm coming from when I put my two cents in for what it's worth. I'm getting a new cat soon, and have done extensive reading on the subject of feeding my cat an exclusively vegan diet. I do not believe based on all I've read that it is in the best interest of the cat as other folks on here have stated. To me, there is not enough evidence to support switching your cat to an all-vegan diet. Since cats are obligate carnivores, with short intestinal trats, teeth, claws, etc, i would be very afraid I'd put my cat's life in danger by making them subscribe to my vegan lifestyle. They eat meat in nature, it's just how they are, that being said, I will however search for the best commercially produced good quality cat foods available. If you really want a vegan pet, you can get a bird, or some other pet. I am keeping my cat indoors, as I feel it's safer for them.

So you think getting a pet is like getting a toy.

So you think humans breeding and killing animals is ok.
Understood. You are not vegan. Ok.
So...if taking the life of animals is ok....what they get fed is nothing important in comparison.

You then have no valid moral view of what people legally do to animals.

I have like tens of thousands a vegan fed cat. I consider people like you animal murderers. I get the pets I want like anyone does and do not lecture people about that or tell them to kill animals.

Other than the entertainment use of a pet I see nothing worthwhile in keeping an animal to kill animals for.

• Disagree
Reactions: Calliegirl
It's possible for cats to be healthy on a properly-formulated vegan diet, but there aren't enough peer-reviewed studies to state conclusively that all cats can thrive on a vegan diet.

The American Veterinary Medical Association published this small study on cats being fed a vegan diet: Link to study . In the study, 14 of 17 cats had blood taurine concentrations that were within recommended values. The other 3 cats did not.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone. However, given the sparsity of studies, it seems wise to be cautious about raising a cat on a vegan diet.

Nothing to worry about.

In over 30 years evolution etc have sold vegan cat foods never a single recall never a single report of sick or dead vegan fed cats due to diet.

Fda just published 2020 dcm heart disease 5 year review not a single vegan dog or cat in it

Put it this way. Vegan cat and dog foods have existed for over 30 years not a single recall or news of sick due to diet vegan fed dog or cat fed commercially sold vegan pet food.

Scientific peer reviewed research prove benefits.

20 year old healthy indoor vegan fed cats exist.

25 year old vegan fed dog existed bramble name

9 years lived famous no meat little tyke lioness lived died of pneumonia not diet USA.

Www.vegepets.com

If keeping a pet snake...kill it...or thousands of other animals decision. No vegan breeds and kills animals bred by humans.

Minimal harm is a clear simple vegan principle. It is not minimal but maximum harm to breed captive animals killed by humans. 3000 lives for a pet dog or cat is not ethical or fair or vegan.

Animals lives are not ours to take is vegan.

Let no one try say it is vegan or fair or ethical or minimal harm to breed animals and kill them.

Let no one who kills animals bred by humans accuse those who do not of cruelty. I consider that the height of hypocrisy by animal murderers.

Last edited:
Fda just published 2020 dcm heart disease 5 year review not a single vegan dog or cat in it

Evolution company should be congratulated, as none of their foods were associated with canine DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy) in that FDA report.

However, the FDA study did identify a small number of canine DCM cases that were associated with vegetarian dog food. It is true that many more canine DCM cases were associated with meat-containing dog foods.

Link to the full FDA report: https://www.fda.gov/media/128303/download. Link to the report summary: FDA Investigates Potential Link Between Diet & Heart Disease in Dogs . This report does not discuss the overall health of dogs and cats being fed veg diets.

1594002657739.png

Acana brand pet foods were associated with a highest number of canine DCM cases (see graph below from the FDA report). Acana only makes meat-containing pet foods: ACANA | Award-Winning Dog Food & Cat Food .

1594004693221.png

Attachments

• 1594002463298.png
    1594002463298.png
    35 KB · Views: 1
  • 1594002487894.png
    1594002487894.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 1594002507446.png
    1594002507446.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 1594002635447.png
    1594002635447.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Put it this way. Vegan cat and dog foods have existed for over 30 years not a single recall or news of sick due to diet vegan fed dog or cat fed commercially sold vegan pet food.

Scientific peer reviewed research prove benefits.

Hi Vegan Dogs,

I am eager to see additional peer reviewed studies on the health of cats being fed veg diets. I've only been able to find 2 such studies, and both of those studies are small. Please post links to the studies that you're referring to!

Last edited:
Hi Vegan Dogs,

I am eager to see additional peer reviewed studies on the health of cats being fed veg diets. I've only been able to find 2 such studies, and both of those studies are small. Please post links to the studies that you're referring to!

hi there are some new ones out recently...aswellas non vegan hills report that cats digest plant proteins even better than dogs article ///that one is not peer reviewed i add but a non vegan pet food company

they found in the 90 percent digestion abilities but cats higher than dogs plant proteins.

for years the prescription diets for pets have been plant based ...

anyway...to answer the question the historic peer reviewed studies of cats are easily found in the website of themain link i have lready provdied

www.vegepets.com

for me....the fact thousand of healthy vegan cats exist since over 30 years is also proof enough. my cat is now heading to 4 years old always fed vegan.

it is simple. nutrients are what any animal needs to thrive.

cheers

Evolution company should be congratulated, as none of their foods were associated with canine DCM (dilated cardiomyopathy) in that FDA report.

However, the FDA study did identify a small number of canine DCM cases that were associated with vegetarian dog food. It is true that many more canine DCM cases were associated with meat-containing dog foods.

Link to the full FDA report: https://www.fda.gov/media/128303/download. Link to the report summary: FDA Investigates Potential Link Between Diet & Heart Disease in Dogs . This report does not discuss the overall health of dogs and cats being fed veg diets.

View attachment 21680

Acana brand pet foods were associated with a highest number of canine DCM cases (see graph below from the FDA report). Acana only makes meat-containing pet foods: ACANA | Award-Winning Dog Food & Cat Food .

View attachment 21681

none of the so called alleged vegetarian cases had been fed vegan consistently ...so not valid to say any vegan fed cases were identified

in fact one case details was of several dogs ...who had had dcm heart tests fine when fed vegan...then develop dcm when their changed to being fed meat content

and the high number of raw meat fed dogs is noticeable besides the meat content brands listed.

Given the thousands of vegan fed dogs since years as well as vegan fed cats...if there were any issue with vegan foods for cats and dogs...many vegan fed cats and dogs would have figured in the fda dcm 4year reported by vets cases.

what is the significant pro vegan finding was...GRAIN FREE had a high correlation with DCM heart diseases in dogs...which goes totally against the idiot RAW FEEDERS rants anti grains in pet foods. they, grains are in fact very heart healthy. common sense also explains that...animals fats are unhealthy generally be they for humans or other animal species. plant fats are not the heart unhealthy animal fats

ps there is ONE NON VEGAN PET FOOD PRODUCER WHO MAKES A VEGAN DOG FOOD that they say is INADEQUATE ...so actually i think it unethical to even sell it...WYSONG...who produce crap low quality animal based pet foods i add. but avoid their vegan trying to sell crap just to get some of the vegan market pet food.

At the end of the day...ALL cats are even ALIVE thanks to the TAURINE that is vegan synthetic in ALL cat foods...so if anyone wants to not feed feed their cats vegan...JUST LET THEM DIE OF LACK OF TAURINE if being honest.

other than that...stop pretending breeding and killing animals is in any way vegan. it is not. vegan cats exist in their thousands. the pet foods have been sold for over 30 years without a single recall. it is a no brainer.

I add...this is the last time i repeat this also...DO NOT MENTION FEEDING PETS ANIMALS BRED AND KILLED BY HUMANS WITHOUT MENTION OF THEM...because to not do so...is not respecting their lives. their RIGHT TO LIFE...

Last edited:
Reactions: Danielle
You should do some internet research and always ask your vet BEFORE you feed your dog vegan dog food.
As far as I know cats must eat meat.
But as I mention do some research and please ask your vet BEFORE feeding your pet vegan food.
Below are some offers on vegan dog food in the UK and the U.S.
Hope my answer helps

If you are in the #UK here is #vegan #dog food for sale Your Vegan Supermarket - Online & In-Store #UK #vegan versions of #yarrah and #benevo

For #vegans in the U.S. there is 60% off on #vegan dog food from Wild Earth on your first order. The offer is valid until August 18 2020: Promo code for 60% off for dog food at Wild Earth #GoVegan #AdoptPetsDontBuy #WildEarthPets

I think it´s cruel to not feed your cat meat. If you don´t want to do it, then just don´t get a cat.

• Angry
Reactions: Vegan Dogs
I think it´s cruel to not feed your cat meat. If you don´t want to do it, then just don´t get a cat.

you forgot to mention...it is cruel ...is it not ? to breed and kill animals ?

why can you and anyone making such accusations about cruelty..not substantiated by the way i add...not mention the killed animals cruelty issue

i will reply...additionally...that you need PROOF not accusations based on WAFFLE to justfy accusing me of cruelty to my healthy vegan fed cat.

so

2 issues

1. Agree that it is CRUEL to breed and kill thousands of animals.

well ? agree or disagree ? you mentioned cruelty...and is this not cruelty that you are suggesting i do ?

if not..explain why not please...

2. What is the evidence of any cruelty ...according to you or any legal cruelty legal expertise and evidence..that my healthy vegan fed cat presents ?

without replying to those 2 related to your accusation of cruelty points...your point is i suggest worthless...and advocating cruelty to thousands of animals by breeding and killing them. Which is not vegan i add.

ps i suggest giving others ORDERS to kill bred by humans animals is not your job or right...nor is it your right to order me what animals to get as a pet or not. I like anyone get whatever pet i want legally...and anyone like you who kills bred by humans animals is in no position to lecture or order me what to kill or get.

i have a vegan fed cat. I take no orders or judgements from non vegans ordering me to kill bred by humans animals to feed my cat...nor do i take orders or judgements about a pet i legally keep and own and do not commit any cruelty to under any welfare laws that exist for the definition and action against alleged or proven cruelty to animals. That it is not illegal or cruel by law to kill billions of animals is also a fact...so feeding a pet cat vegan legal pet food is certainly not cruel.

Summary of reasons for feeding dogs cats ferrets readily available vegan pet foods that have been out for over 30 years without any recalls.

1. They have been sold publically with never any recalls, not one, never any published cases of sick or dead pets due to the foods for over 30 years now world wide.

There have been in contrast THOUSANDS of deaths and sick dogs and cats from proven caused by pet foods of non vegan content. In 2020...5 out of 7 recalls by the government pet food authorities were RAW pet foods.

Those FACTS are easily verifiable as the Government Food Authorities publish public notices of recalls of petfoods easily found by a simple google search and reproduced in many websites and online sources.

2. There are government pet food authorities who set the standards and control recalls of any lacking or causing serious health or death problems pet foods.

In the USA this is the FDA and the standard setters are AAFCO. In Europe this is the FEDIAF.

These are independant nutrition scientific experts...not earning from selling any pet foods but independant standard setters and controllers of pet foods.

3. All pet foods sold publically have by law to be "species appropriate" and by labels state if "complete" and for what life stages.

There are laws governing these issues and therefore it is totally incorrect to speak of vegan pet foods not being "species appropriate" as by LAW that is what they are if sold to the public.

4. There are many health benefits well documented from freeding vegan pet foods.

There are many prescription pet foods that since decades have been mostly vegan to cure many health problems in many dogs and cats.

Both those statements are easily verifiable by easy google searches and knowledge of what are in prescription pet foods and why. Many cats dogs have allergies to animal pet foods is a fact.

Many heart diseases are alleviated by feeding plant based foods.

5. Many not peer reviewed websites make erroneous statements about vegan pet foods.

One has to be aware of influences of the meat industry on those linked to earning from the pet foods they recommend.

TAURINE is a matter many seemingly knowledgeable websites get very wrong....and any review of the details on labels on pet foods of the TAURINE content would reveal that it is synthetic so vegan in all commercial cat foods so those claiming it is only found in meat and that vegan cat foods would make a cat go blind or die due to lack of taurine...are totally wrong...and have not understood the first point about PET FOOD LAWS controlling pet foods as well as the taurine nutrient source of all commercial cat foods.

Those are the NUTRITIONAL reasons for feeding cats and dogs vegan.

Now to the ETHICAL VEGAN reason.

6. Veganism means..."animals are not ours to use"

So breeding and killing animals is simply not vegan.

7. Cruelty...ethical not legal cruelty...is an important distinction.

One needs to realise...there is a difference between "cruelty" as defined by the LAW...for which animal welfare act laws exist...which allow killing of animals legally as not cruel as defined by the law...nor is vegan legal pet food "cruel" of course per the law.

The ETHICAL judgemental view of "cruelty" that sees as veganism does the breeding and killing of animals as "cruelty" is what vegans believe in ethically.

Therefore...there is a huge distinction between describing feeding an animal food as cruel as compared to killing an animal.

The 2 actions are totally incomparable i suggest. Anyone who thinks they are similar needs to re examine their ideas or explain why they would be similar.

Before anyone writes accusing anyone of "cruelty" and "forcing things on animals" again on this topic...

Can i ask..that ALL such comments.....include mention of the "cruelty" of "forcing death" on forced into existance as prisoners captive baby life stage animals owned by humans.

Describe...what "cruelty" is involved in putting food in a dish that an animal clearly thrives on and does not ever die of...compared to..the "cruelty" of force breeding animals and forcing them to die as babies ? i mean most killed animals are between 1 day old and a few months old when killed by humans...so far...there are 20 year old healthy vegan fed cats around and less old vegan fed dogs albeit Bramble famous example lived to age 25 similarly to her unrelated companion dogs.

There are legal definitions of what "cruelty" to animals is...and nowhere is pet food included as one of them.

Morally if not legally cruelty is surely killing baby animals ? if anyone does not think so...then explain that or admit one is not vegan if not believing this to be true.

Do people talking of "forcing things" on animals owned by humans think animals owned by humans that are slaughtered to willingly to their deaths ?

Do people talking of "forcing things on animals humans own" not think forcing death on these animals is not forcing them ?

My view....is that "animals are not ours to use"

So as baby chicks...lambs...turkeys...fish...are not ours to use...i have no right as a vegan to take their lives.

What is not mine...is not mine to take the life of.

i see no cruelty meaning suffering or death in 20 year old vet tested healthy vegan cats and vet tested healthy long lived vegan dogs. Bramble 25 years lived healthy vegan dog famous example is well known and several companions fed the same not related dogs lived similar long lives with Anne Heritage the owner.

Working Huskies scientific peer reviwed studies showed vegan fed working huskies out per formed the meat fed ones...and there is no breed needing more high quality energy than a working huskey.

That study as well as other PEER REVIEWED scientific studies on vegan diets for pet dogs and cats and reference to Little Tyke the famous vegetarian Lioness in the USA who never ate meat at all and never had any health issues due to diet are referenced in this website in particular of highly qualified international expert Dr Andrew Knight...

www.vegepets.com

PEER REVIEWED means not just individual vet or individual scientist views...but checked verified as independant valid conclusions by independant experts.

Andrew Knight BSc (Vet Biol), BVMS, CertAW, MANZCVS, DipECAWBM (AWSEL), DipACAW, PhD, FRCVS, PFHEA

Andrew Knight is a ridiculously busy bloke. He is Professor of Animal Welfare and Ethics, and Founding Director of the Centre for Animal Welfare, at the University of Winchester; a EBVS European and RCVS Veterinary Specialist in Animal Welfare Science, Ethics and Law; an American and New Zealand Veterinary Specialist in Animal Welfare; a Fellow of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, and a Principal Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy.

Andrew has over 65 academic publications and a series of YouTube videos on animal issues. These include an extensive series examining the contributions to human healthcare of animal experiments, which formed the basis for his 2010 PhD and his 2011 book The Costs and Benefits of Animal Experiments. Andrew’s other publications have examined the contributions of the livestock sector to climate change, vegetarian companion animal diets, the animal welfare standards of veterinarians, and the latest evidence about animal cognitive and related abilities, and the resultant moral implications. His informational websites include www.AnimalExperiments.info, www.HumaneLearning.info and www.VegePets.info

Status
Not open for further replies.