View attachment 22050

View attachment 22051
View attachment 22052

View attachment 22053
View attachment 22054
View attachment 22055

JAW DROPPING GOOD NEWS...NEW STUDY....
images
https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/10/3/541/htm?fbclid=IwAR3HCgXKrtnk_5e6lPkKPLjN9hW7bKaS5OijoCvkzPZ3FNiKu1eE9mISbyc
"in cats, the protein from plants was more highly digested than animal protein." THAN FOR DOGS !!!
All studies were conducted over a period of 110 months. The canine studies used 226 healthy dogs and the feline studies used 296 healthy short hair domestic cats
There were 459 canine studies and 427 feline studies.
Funding This research was funded by Hill’s Pet Nutrition Inc.
Conflicts of Interest The authors are or have been employees of Hill’s Pet Nutrition, which manufactures and sells pet foods to optimize the protein nutrition of healthy pets and to aid in the management of disease.
SIMPLE SUMMARY
Because dogs are omnivores and cats are obligate carnivores, it is of value to pet owners and nutritionists to know how well they digest protein from plants and animals. This study evaluated the difference in digestibility using plant and animal protein sources, which are used in the pet food industry. These plant and animal sources resulted in protein digestibility that met or exceeded that expected for dogs and cats. As previously shown, cats had superior protein digestibility as compared to dogs. Regarding the difference in digestibility between the proteins from plants or animals—as a class, there was no difference between plant and animal protein in dogs. However, in cats, the protein from plants was more highly digested than animal protein.
CONCLUSIONS
When prepared in the distribution chain of these ingredients, and manufactured through the extrusion parameters of these foods, plant proteins are similar to animal proteins in protein digestibility. Cats had an increased protein digestibility in response to increasing plant protein, while protein digestibility was not influenced in dogs. As plant protein inclusion was not associated with reduced protein digestibility, it provides a satisfactory source for the complementation of animal protein ingredients in meeting the amino acid needs of pets.
ABSTRACT
This retrospective study used 226 dogs and 296 cats to evaluate whether protein absorption was influenced by species, and within species, what influence increasing the percentage of total dietary protein, as plant protein, had on protein absorption. Each food was evaluated by at least one study with a minimum of six dogs or cats assigned to each study. Dietary inclusion of animal and plant based protein was calculated by analysis of ingredients and dietary inclusion level. Both dogs and cats were able to digest dietary plant protein, with protein digestibility in dogs unchanged as plant protein increased, while in cats, eating dry food, an increase in plant protein, was associated with increased protein digestibility. When individual plant high-concentration protein sources (excluding the protein from whole grains) were evaluated (i.e., soybean meal, soybean protein isolate, corn gluten meal, and rice protein concentrate) there was no response to increasing protein from these sources in the dog. In the cat, there was a significant positive effect on protein digestibility associated with an increasing concentration of corn gluten meal. In summary, as the dietary protein shifted from striated muscle and other animal proteins to plant based proteins, there was no effect in the dog, while in cats, increasing dietary plant protein was associated with increasing protein digestibility (5.5% increase at 50% protein from plants in dry cat food). Protein digestibility of food in dogs and cats is similar, if not enhanced, when the plant protein sources are concentrated from soybeans (soybean isolate, soybean meal), corn (corn gluten meal), or rice (rice protein concentrate).
Keywords: canine; feline; protein digestibility
Je met ici une google traduction du résumé, et de la conclusion : Résumé simple Parce que les chiens sont omnivores et les chats sont des carnivores obligatoires, il est important pour les propriétaires d'animaux et les nutritionnistes de savoir à quel point ils digèrent les protéines des plantes et des animaux. Cette étude a évalué la différence de digestibilité en utilisant des sources de protéines végétales et animales, qui sont utilisées dans l'industrie des aliments pour animaux de compagnie. Ces sources végétales et animales ont entraîné une digestibilité des protéines qui a atteint ou dépassé celle attendue pour les chiens et les chats. Comme indiqué précédemment, les chats avaient une digestibilité des protéines supérieure à celle des chiens. En ce qui concerne la différence de digestibilité entre les protéines végétales ou animales - en tant que classe, il n'y avait pas de différence entre les protéines végétales et animales chez les chiens. Cependant, chez les chats, la protéine des plantes était plus digérée que la protéine animale. Conclusions Lorsqu'elles sont préparées dans la chaîne de distribution de ces ingrédients et fabriquées à partir des paramètres d'extrusion de ces aliments, les protéines végétales sont similaires aux protéines animales en termes de digestibilité des protéines. Les chats avaient une digestibilité accrue des protéines en réponse à l'augmentation des protéines végétales, tandis que la digestibilité des protéines n'était pas influencée chez les chiens. Étant donné que l'inclusion de protéines végétales n'était pas associée à une digestibilité réduite des protéines, elle fournit une source satisfaisante pour la complémentation d'ingrédients de protéines animales pour répondre aux besoins en acides aminés des animaux de compagnie.
Open AccessArticle
Cats Have Increased Protein Digestibility as Compared to Dogs and Improve Their Ability to Absorb Protein as Dietary Protein Intake Shifts from Animal to Plant Sources
by 📷Christina Golder 1,📷James L. Weemhoff 1 and📷Dennis E. Jewell 2,*
Hill’s Pet Nutrition Inc., Topeka, KS 66603, USA
Department of Grain Science and Industry, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 66506, USA
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Animals 2020, 10(3), 541;
images
https://doi.org/10.3390/ani10030541
Received: 26 February 2020 / Revised: 18 March 2020 / Accepted: 19 March 2020 / Published: 24 March 2020

Interestingly, it is the cat that showed a positive digestibility response to increasing dietary corn gluten meal while digestibility in the dog was unaffected. The cat has an increased ability to digest protein in general, which may influence its capacity to digest corn gluten meal as compared to the dog.

Last edited:
It is as if "meat grows on trees" when it comes to pet cat food lol...people never mention that forcing the animals to die is cruelty"

However the "get a bunny" persons in this thread were right...bunny rabbits are bred and killed for cat food bigtime. That is what those persons wish for bunny rabbits obviously.

It is a FACT that at least 300 million bunny rabbits are specifically bred and killed for pet food every year. age about 2 to 3 months. Babies.

As well as other animals like 6 billion 1 day old suffocated to death male chicks.

Now to ignore the megabucks billions of USD those deaths earn the animal agricutlure animal killing industries is to be deliberately blind...30 percent of all animal based meat protein produced from the 80 billion land animals and trillions of fish and marine animals world wide is for pet food.

There are many breeding turkeys chickens lambs pigs specifically for pet foods killing them like the rabbits bred specifically for pet foods at age 1 day to a few weeks to a few months old for 99 percent of them.

The most suffered due to diseases or breakage of legs cannibalism stress before they even reached slaughter are also put into pet foods so the most suffered animals earn big bucks for 15 percent of animals bred on average.

If no one mentions all this suffering and forced deaths...then they do not care.

And ignorance...is no excuse to breed and kill animals.

Ignornace is rife... the vegan pet foods have been sold without a single recall anywhere for over 35 years yet thousands of cats and dogs have been made sick and died due mainly to dangerous to health mostly raw pet foods...is a fact.

I mention them...the unmentioned by people who do not care about animals ...victims...forced to be bred and killed as babies bunny rabbits and others....for pet foods that are unnecessary...who suffer the cruelties massively before their cruel deaths.

I mean...if forcing animals to die...is NOT CRUELTY...why bother avoiding eating animals constantly hey ? what is the point of veganism ? if not saying that killing animals is cruelty that so called vegans do not participate in ?

Or is it just about "how many " animals people are deliberately cruel to by killing them ?

I fail to see any explanations in this thread from those ordering others to..."get a bunny to kill and feed your pet cat at the rate of 240 bunny rabbits killed at age 3 months per year" ...any explanations...of what cruelty those deaths are !!! it would appear...killing bunny rabbits is NOT cruel to some people hey...because they do not mention it as cruel !

Last edited:
aha. right after having probably lost most people who are ignorant about nutrition details of AAFCO and the FDA etc i much quoted...i just give an example of a previous "bunny killing wisher" comment made with no substance to the claims made...

These statements...are dangerously ignorant...and clearly incorrect ...as there would be no vegan cats around or their pet foods if these unsubstantiated statements were true...

Some one wrote...

" Cats are obligate carnivores, they can only absorb some nutrients that are preformulated from meat. Some nutrients, like taurine and vitamin A, need to be further processed, humans and other omnivores and herbivores can do this, as well, same with converting aminos, but cats and other carnivores need them from meat-already formulated. "

Those statements are all false !

There are NO nutrients that cats need that are not in vegan cat foods ! that are not easily digested by cats ! fact ! or there would be no legal vegan cat foods...or vegan fed cats around since over 35 years now without a single recall ! Digestibility...and "species appropriate" are requirements ...criteria, that the expert scientific pet food standard setters and government controllers insist on for any cat foods to be legally sold as "complete adult cat species nutrition" out there. Legal fact.

That statement...fails to recognise...that ALL TAURINE in commercial cat foods is synthetic so vegan ! fact ! easily verifiable as i provided from the expert raw cat feeding nutritionists ! so the taurine in vegan cat food is exactly the same as the taurine in non vegan cat foods.

I mean it is so simple...to see how wrong and dangerously ignorant such statements are...trying to get people to be "bunny killers"...based on falsehoods.

IF anyone wishing to know the TRUTHS and DETAILS of the surpassing the legal expert scientific AAFCO and FDA pet food scientist government standard setters and controllers...i have provided those links and facts easily readable for you in comments made in detail on this thread.

There is no need...for anyone wishing to be a vegan, so not kill defenseless bunny rabbits ...for any concerns about cat foods that clearly surpass the expert scientific AAFCO pet food standards set. All the vegan companies producing vegan cat foods...are perfectly legal high nutrition of human grade ingredients in fact that vegan cats have thrived on with not ONE example or report or recall in over 35 years of their public sales of any health or death issues.

The same cannot be said for thousands of cats sick and dead on non vegan cat foods in that same period.

Last edited:
I'm kinda worried though... Some ignorant people could take this seriously. And that could harm cats. I don't understand why people would want a cat if those humans have meat aversion.
I get it that cats are cute. But so are rabbits. And taking in an animal is a huge responsibility. People should do their homework.
And again, bunnies are perfect pets. They are environmentally friendly, natural herbivores. They make less noise than dogs or cats would, so they are great pets for an apartment. You can teach them tricks, they might not be as good learners as cats would, but they can learn some fun tricks too.

Here are some YouTube channels that I follow:

Also, nice to meet you. I don't think I have met you before here.

Oh yes, the posts of her dont even make sense, she also keeps repeating herself.

For a cat for sure meat is important, not feeding them meat is abuse. With dogs, i myself think they thrive on a raw fed diet and its also different for each dog what they need. My older dog gets a little bit of meat and also eats like sweet potato, veggies etc.. My young dog with lots of energy, is a working dog. He needs more meat and also has other things added to the meat. I also don´t call myself vegan, i eat plant based, cause i don´t even want to be a vegan if that means being like vegan dogs, my god.. something is not right with her and its almost sad.

I also have often seen videos of rabbits who did like rabbit agility, very cute. If someone doesnt want to feed their pet meat, they should get a rabbit or some other animal that does not eat meat.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vegan Dogs
Oh yes, the posts of her dont even make sense, she also keeps repeating herself.

For a cat for sure meat is important, not feeding them meat is abuse. With dogs, i myself think they thrive on a raw fed diet and its also different for each dog what they need. My older dog gets a little bit of meat and also eats like sweet potato, veggies etc.. My young dog with lots of energy, is a working dog. He needs more meat and also has other things added to the meat. I also don´t call myself vegan, i eat plant based, cause i don´t even want to be a vegan if that means being like vegan dogs, my god.. something is not right with her and its almost sad.

I also have often seen videos of rabbits who did like rabbit agility, very cute. If someone doesnt want to feed their pet meat, they should get a rabbit or some other animal that does not eat meat.

None so blind as those who do not wish to see....

After DAYS of providing explanations and links to supporting information...i got yet again..."bunny boiler" people wanting to breed and kill bunny rabbits to feed pet cats comments that are not even CAT but DOG food related in the comment made. Inability to read the word CAT even is clear. Accusing ME and vegans of "animal abuse" is simply unacceptable. Ignorance of laws about "animal abuse" also clear.

Inability to read the word CAT even is clear. Accusing ME and vegans of "animal abuse" is simply unacceptable. Ignorance of laws about "animal abuse" also clear.

Yet again...i remind, repeat...he or she had never once addressed or recognised anything about the facts and links I had provided repeatedly to them.

The title of this post is..."Can a pet cat be vegan ?"

So the answer is clearly YES. The question was not..."what animals should i kill to feed my pet cat ?" or..."what pets should i have ?" or..."do you feed your cat vegan or rabbits or chickens etc ?"

The opinions about what "animal abuse" is...are totally incorrect...and had the post asked that question..."is it animal abuse" the answer is no...but the post did NOT ask that question...and obviously the poster knows full well it is NOT animal abuse or there would not be legal vegan cat foods sold to the public !

Going on about what pet DOGS are fed is irrelevant to this post !

For those unable to understand information provided in great detail of the FDA and AAFCO ...this explains why such people do not understand nutrition.

FDA and AAFCO are the Government USA Pet food experts.

They set the standards for pet food and issue recalls of pet foods which make pets sick and or kill them.

In over 35 years...the FDA have never recalled a single vegan cat food...but recalled due to deaths and sickness of hundreds of thousand of pets RAW pet foods the most but also other animal content pet foods of well known brands and less well known brands.

So there is plenty evidence...that Vegan Cat foods are SAFE...as never recalled in over 35 years.

Yes i have to repeat that very important FACT often for those unable to understand that point...never replying to that fact...and continuing to also ignore the roles of the FDA and FSA

Vegan cat foods...are high quality..."species appropriate" by LAW for cats...suitable for "digestion" criteria etc and have all the ones i have reviewed made by vegan companies "above AAFCO pet food standards" nutrient levels easily checked on the AAFCO pages long NUTRIENTS needs and quantities for different species different life stages published guidelines.

Anyone not understanding that...just wishes to ignore FACTS and the LAWS in place that govern Cat foods in the USA like other continents and encourage "bunny boiling" rather than compassion.

Now to the unacceptable offensive to bunny rabbits and myself rudeness and legal implications stupidity of calling not killing bunny rabbits to feed a pet cat..."animal abuse"

That term..as EVERYONE knows or should know if not totally ignorant of the term...has legal meaning and effects.

There are LAWS dealing with "animal cruelty" regarding improper diets fed to animals

Vegan Cat foods...if anyone can understand the first part of my reply yet again having to repeat the obvious...do NOT come into the category of "animal abuse" as the FDA and AAFCO Pet Food Authorities never recall them and allow their sale to the public as they are "species appropriate" and "disgestible" etc for cats.

I would not have to repeat these FACTS so often ...if some people had not persisted in making very very ridiculous accusations of "animal cruelty" but not mentioning that "bunny boiling" is animal cruelty but accusing LEGAL PET FOODS out there and the FDA also governement authorities of the USA and every other country in the world of "animal abuse"

These ignorant persons acccusing ME and others who feed not boiled bunny rabbits forced to die to pet cats...are NOT ANIMAL ABUSERS but precisely the contrary.

What is so difficult to understand about this ?

DESIST calling people who do not "bunny boil" 240 rabbits per year to feed a pet cat of "animal abuse" because this is very very ignorant...totally incorrect as per LAWS relating to that legal offense...

Continue to "bunny boil" thousands...millions of bunny rabbits if you wish to !

I do not call YOU "animal abusers" for doing so ! animals are "just things" under the law to "use" so killing hundreds of millions of bunny rabbits and other animals to feed pets is perfectly legal ! i just personally say it is not VEGAN.

ps

if people really are THAT ignorant...here are links...to the FDA and AAFCO

who are the government USA pet food standards setters and regulators...i again have to repeat for those unable to retain that fact.

Food and Drug Administration

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA)

To understand how FDA regulates pet food, it’s important to first understand several key concepts and some of the laws and regulations regarding food for animals.

The basic food and drug law in the U.S. is the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act). Under this law, FDA is responsible for making sure food for both people and animals is safe, properly manufactured, and adequately labeled. The agency is also responsible for ensuring that drugs for people and animals are safe, effective, properly manufactured, and adequately labeled and packaged. Knowing if something is a food or drug is a good start to understanding how FDA regulates the product.

Now to the PET FOOD STANDARDS setting government authority in the USA...but every continent has the equivalent of this ...

AAFCO

The Association of American Feed Control Officials

AAFCO (The Association of American Feed Control Officials) is the official source of information on pet food labelling, ingredient definitions, official terms and standardized feed testing methodology.

Now...for those wishing to not feed pet cats legal healthy approved surpassing pet food experts nutrition vegan...

fine !

feed them bred specially and killed specially for pets rabbits !

I find that not VEGAN...it is not legally "animal abuse" but i find it not vegan...to kill bunny rabbits.

I provided details for those liking rabbit cat foods.

Here it is again...why ? because if not feeding a pet cat VEGAN...people need to know about RABBIT CAT FOOD surely !! why digress off the topic of CAT FOOD ?

In pet food, rabbit can be used as a fresh meat (fresh rabbit, deboned rabbit, freshly prepared rabbit) or as a pre-prepared, dry meat meal (rabbit meal, dried rabbit, dehydrated rabbit). When the ingredient is listed simply as 'rabbit' it usually refers to the fresh form.

Now do i need to repeat the links i provided about "rabbit cat foods" ?

I did provide pictures of the 3 month old crammed in cages before killed screaming in terror rabbits bred and killed for cat food...that these people i am replying to again want to kill.

Why ? are these people so keen to kill bunny rabbits to feed pet cats hey ? none of my business...they do not consider killing animals like bunny rabbits "animal abuse" clearly if feeding them to pet cats !

oh just "beware the rabbit cat food recalls" out there...i did provide helpful links to some...thousands of sick pet cats and dogs even on rabbit pet foods...but mostly as i repeat 5 out of 7 government pet food authority pet food recalls are RAW pet foods...never vegan ones.

Purina Animal Nutrition is initiating a voluntary recall of multiple lots of Purina® Rabbit Feed, Purina® Turkey Feed, Country Acres® Rabbit Feed and DuMOR® Chick Starter/Grower Feed due to elevated calcium levels in the product.28 févr. 2020
Purina Animal Nutrition Voluntarily Recalling Select Lot Codes ...

Anyone wishing to know which pet foods are making cats sick and or killing them currently...can find this public information easily on the already provided government pet food authority controllers website...

I have provided this before...but due to some people not understanding this...never refering to the FDA or AAFCO or European equivalent FEDIAF...it seems necessary to repeat these facts of enormous relevance to saying...which pet foods ...are dangerous to pet cats...

and i repeat...never in over 35 years has a single vegan cat food been recalled or proven to make cats sick or die...

here is the link again for proof.

For those going on again about "bunny rabbits" to feed pet cats...instead of vegan cat food...

Details...

3 months old when killed. Often boiled alive.
Kept in cramped no daylight cages for all their short lives.
Many die before official slaughter suffering greatly but hey...just pet food material.

hundreds of millions bred specifically for pet food.

Many pet foods without clear labels about what species animals are in them have rabbits in them...cheap and easy to breed and kill is why.

This post is about CAT FOOD...so it is inappropriate to start up about what pets people should get...that is only relevant if somone asks such a question...no one has asked...what pet should i get ?

This post is about CAT FOOD...and rabbits...are cat food...for non vegans.

And i provide the details yet again.

Like most battery-reared animals, the rabbits never see daylight, instead spending their entire lives locked in cramped cages.

The fact of newborns deemed too small to be used for meat is even worse, with the tiny rabbits' heads smashed against the wire to kill them or otherwise left to fall through the sharp metal bars on the floor of their cramped hutches, where they will starve to death in the squalid sewage pit below.

In summary...replying to the comment made....i dealt yet again with....

1. Facts and links to the Expert Nutritionist Government Pet food Standards Setters and Controllers responsible for setting the criteria for legal species appropriate by law cat foods and who recalls cat foods not meeting those standards.

Clearly vegan cat foods have never been recalled in over 35 years sold but mostly RAW and animal content cat foods that made sick and killed thousands of pet cats were recalled.

2. Facts about what is legally defined as "animal abuse" and the fact that Vegan Cat food is the complete opposite of that issue ...see point 1. If the cat food were not species appropriate it would be classsifed as "cruelty" under welfare laws...it is not...it is the exact opposite.

3. Facts for those showing by replies that they wish pet cats to be fed bunny rabbits.

That is very common. Millions of bunny rabbits are bred and killed for cat foods.

I simply do not buy them as I do not feed my vegan fed cat bunny rabbits.

I do not need anyone to "order" me "what to get" as a toy pet or pet food. Humans make decisions about "what they get" according to laws that exist.

ps This person who i reply to...has failed to understand these repeated informations yet again...and in the comment made shows he or she does not even understand that this post is about CATS not DOGS as the person only talks about his DOGS !

The level of attention and understanding or wish to understand of "bunny boilers" seems clear to me and others i am sure.

If anyone...wishes to continue making comments in this thread...

I suggest...

Instead of launching into accusations of others of "animal abuse" emotively without substance...try...and reply to information that others have provided ...supporting your replies with evidence for your views.

Otherwise...it results in repetitions...and promotion of "bunny boiling" rabbits to feed pet cats....accusations of "animal abuse" to those who do NOT kill animals...and is therefore unacceptable and useful commentary disrespectful to those asking a question of this post and those taking time to reply with relevant details and links to supporting evidence for any statements made.

Last edited:
If anyone...wishes to continue making comments in this thread...

I suggest...

Instead of launching into accusations of others of "animal abuse" emotively without substance...try...and reply to information that others have provided ...supporting your replies with evidence for your views.

Otherwise...it results in repetitions...and promotion of "bunny boiling" rabbits to feed pet cats....accusations of "animal abuse" to those who do NOT kill animals...and is therefore unacceptable and useful commentary disrespectful to those asking a question of this post and those taking time to reply with relevant details and links to supporting evidence for any statements made.

I created a new post...

and put links to the previous information posts i had provided on the topics of...

Pet foods for ...dogs cats ferrets

Little Tyke the Vegetarian famous USA lioness by choice

Environmental massive impact of pet and animal based pet foods on the planet

Last edited:

Yeah, bunnies are great. And very underrated. People think that rabbits are just "starter pets". There is no such thing as a starter pet and you should never give a rabbit as a gift to a child. Taking care of a rabbit is a huge job. Way too much for a child to handle.
But rabbits are very good pets for those who don't want anything to do with meat. Also guinea pigs and I think there are some others, but can't remember.

You are right, not feeding cat proper nutritious diet is neglect. Vegan diet for cats can go wrong in so many ways, anyone who even considers that should consult their vet first and also monitor the situation after, if the vet allows them to continue with that diet. If the cat is elderly, has some medical condition or is a male, the vet is probably going to be against it. And I don't think that people are going to monitor the situation, they would just neglect the cat and let it suffer if the vegan diet goes sideways.
There is no good enough reason for anyone to risk it. Pets are vulnerable and should be protected by their guardians. From animal rights stand point it would be ideal if there would be a way to feed cats cruelty-free diet. Maybe there someday is going to be.

By the way, there are some vegans who feed their cats accordingly. Have you ever heard of Jackson Galaxy, The Cat Daddy? He also thinks that raw food would be best for cats. Also Hannah Shaw, The Kitten Lady is vegan.
Don't be afraid to call yourself vegan. If you don't want to call yourself vegan because of how some of us view things or act a certain way, you might not want to call yourself human either. You know, there are some crazy humans out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Yeah, bunnies are great. And very underrated. People think that rabbits are just "starter pets". There is no such thing as a starter pet and you should never give a rabbit as a gift to a child.
Taking care of a rabbit is a huge job. Way too much for a child to handle.
But rabbits are very good pets for those who don't want anything to do with meat. Also guinea pigs and I think there are some others, but can't remember.

You are right, not feeding cat proper nutritious diet is neglect. Vegan diet for cats can go wrong in so many ways, anyone who even considers that should consult their vet first and also monitor the situation after, if the vet allows them to continue with that diet. If the cat is elderly, has some medical condition or is a male, the vet is probably going to be against it. And I don't think that people are going to monitor the situation, they would just neglect the cat and let it suffer if the vegan diet goes sideways.
There is no good enough reason for anyone to risk it. Pets are vulnerable and should be protected by their guardians. From animal rights stand point it would be ideal if there would be a way to feed cats cruelty-free diet. Maybe there someday is going to be.

By the way, there are some vegans who feed their cats accordingly. Have you ever heard of Jackson Galaxy, The Cat Daddy? He also thinks that raw food would be best for cats. Also Hannah Shaw, The Kitten Lady is vegan.
Don't be afraid to call yourself vegan. If you don't want to call yourself vegan because of how some of us view things or act a certain way, you might not want to call yourself human either. You know, there are some crazy humans out there.

Feeding a pet cat vegan is not neglect. So I make that point and fact very very clear.

If you have been unable to understand the links to the pet food government authorities who control pet foods...then I suggest you try harder to read what I provided links to them and clear evidence...vegan cat food is species appropriate healthy food for cats.

I do not quote people who earn from what they sell and promote...but scientific government veterinary nutrition experts in charge of pet foods nationally. I am not interested in bloggers and such like for such matters. They are not the kind of experts" ? that i could choose to buy even toilet paper based on their views lol.

Oh for those needing "vet reassurances" about any pet foods that the vets are not making money of by selling themselves ...and of course brands of pet foods that vets do not earn from make them not independant for pet food advice...if your vet is selling pet food...he or she is not independant. Obvious.

No better or higher qualified VETS than those like Dr Knight and the vets scientists who produced peer reviewed pet food studies and sit on the FDA and AAFCO and FEDIAF pet food governing authorities...no vets below those ones are up to their levels of qualifcations of course is obvious.

Andrew Knight BSc (Vet Biol), BVMS, CertAW, MANZCVS, DipECAWBM (AWSEL), DipACAW, PhD, FRCVS, PFHEA

Andrew Knight is a ridiculously busy bloke. He is Professor of Animal Welfare and Ethics, and Founding Director of the Centre for Animal Welfare, at the University of Winchester; a EBVS European and RCVS Veterinary Specialist in Animal Welfare Science, Ethics and Law; an American and New Zealand Veterinary Specialist in Animal Welfare; a Fellow of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, and a Principal Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy.

Andrew has over 65 academic publications and a series of YouTube videos on animal issues. These include an extensive series examining the contributions to human healthcare of animal experiments, which formed the basis for his 2010 PhD and his 2011 book The Costs and Benefits of Animal Experiments. Andrew’s other publications have examined the contributions of the livestock sector to climate change, vegetarian companion animal diets, the animal welfare standards of veterinarians, and the latest evidence about animal cognitive and related abilities, and the resultant moral implications. His informational websites include www.AnimalExperiments.info, www.HumaneLearning.info and www.VegePets.info

HILLS a non vegan pet food producer in 2020 also produced a peer reviewed scientific report that showed CATS digested PLANT PROTEINS better even than DOGS do.

You do not mention the bunny boiling killings that some people choose to do to bunny rabbits to feed them to pet cats. I mention this...and state...this whilst legal to breed millions of bunny rabbits and kill them to feed to pet cats..."as a vegan" i find that cruelty and animal abuse ethically if not legally animal abuse.

I am vegan...my cat like thousands of others is fed vegan species appropriate by law cat food.

I understand that as a vegan..."animals are not ours to use" and to breed and kill animals is using them so not vegan. It is that simple.

This thread is about CAT FOOD...and so rabbits are CAT FOOD in the context of this post...as you should realise but need reminding.

RABBITS are CAT FOOD and how are they treated ? i have explained...cramped in no daylight cages for all their in pain 3 months only lives.

So you going on about how to care for rabbits is totally irrelevant here...as CAT FOOD they are killed when 3 months old terrified. That is what you wish for them is it not ? why else advocate for feeding cats animals otherwise

The title of this thread is...about CATS and their FOOD...so only talk about pet cats is relevant and what food they get...RABBITS are CAT FOOD in this context.

RABBITS AS CAT FOOD. Is what you promote...not me. Clear.

Celine and Poppy...20 year old indoor vegan fed cats.

Rescued from a vivisection laboratory where they also torture not just cats but bunny rabbits.

I of course like the owner of these vegan fed cats do not approve of torturuing cats or rabbits or killing cats or rabbits.

Those who feed rabbits to their cats...do like to do that. However how to "care" for those rabbits is easy...shove them in cages cramped together for up to 3 months then kill them to feed your pet cat. A child of 5 could do that. I did. You simply bash the rabbit head against a wall or hard surface. Like slaughter house workers do to piglets all sorts of small size animals.

Of if you have a large production of bunny rabbits you can gas them like piglets are to kill them

They do scream a great deal whilst dying i add.

Having killed bunny rabbits myself I do know what I am talking about.

They bleed through their noses when bashed against a brick wall to be killed. Twich a while. Well if not totally unconscious by then when you start to skill them pulling off their skins ..never mind hey...speed is important to the pet food industry when producing loads of bunny rabbits for cat food.

CARE for bunny rabbits is minimal...they are simply "cat food"
ps

Of course there is a way to be vegan and not cause bunny rabbit and others deaths of bred by humans animals...for over 35 years healthy vegan cat foods have existed and never had a recall...unlike thousands of unsafe RAW pet foods mostly recalled regularly that make cats sick and even kill them

celine vegan cats.jpgceline vegan cat.jpg

Last edited:
I do not have a pet cat but I would perhaps like to own one in the future and as a vegan I just wanted to know if it would be ethical to feed my cat a meat diet or not and whether a cat can be vegan or not.

I would like to encourage you to reconsider this. Cats are obligate carnivores. There are vitamins our bodies are able to make that cats cannot make and have to get by eating animal flesh. If you get a cat, you will have to buy cat food. Every time you buy cat food, you will be supporting the factory farm industry. If a person already has a cat when they go vegan, I can accept that they have no choice but to support the factory farm industry for a while by purchasing food for their cat, but if a person is vegan, getting a cat is like deciding to go back to eating cheese.

There are also other reasons for not owning a cat. The cat will want to go outside and prowl around. The problem is that cats are extremely destructive to wildlife. No matter how well you feed your cat with factory-farmed meat, he or she will still kill a large number of birds, chipmunks, and mice. And if you keep your cat indoors, you will be abusing your cat, because no one, not even a cat, wants to be locked up inside a house all the time.

I find that I can express my love for animals by maintaining a bird bath and planting native plants in my garden to attract chipmunks, rabbits, birds, and pollinators. A hummingbird visits my garden almost every morning, and my birdbath receives hundreds of winged bathers every day. If you don't have a garden, please consider similar hobbies, such as bird-watching or wildlife photography rather than keeping a cat.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
I would like to encourage you to reconsider this. Cats are obligate carnivores. There are vitamins our bodies are able to make that cats cannot make and have to get by eating animal flesh. If you get a cat, you will have to buy cat food. Every time you buy cat food, you will be supporting the factory farm industry. If a person already has a cat when they go vegan, I can accept that they have no choice but to support the factory farm industry for a while by purchasing food for their cat, but if a person is vegan, getting a cat is like deciding to go back to eating cheese.

There are also other reasons for not owning a cat. The cat will want to go outside and prowl around. The problem is that cats are extremely destructive to wildlife. No matter how well you feed your cat with factory-farmed meat, he or she will still kill a large number of birds, chipmunks, and mice. And if you keep your cat indoors, you will be abusing your cat, because no one, not even a cat, wants to be locked up inside a house all the time.

I find that I can express my love for animals by maintaining a bird bath and planting native plants in my garden to attract chipmunks, rabbits birds, and pollinators. A hummingbird visits my garden almost every morning, and my birdbath receives hundreds of winged bathers every day. If you don't have a garden, please consider similar hobbies, such as bird-watching or wildlife photography rather than keeping a cat.

You have failed to see the information posted stating it is NOT necessary to breed farm animals and kill them to feed a pet cat.

Do i need to recopy all those informations ? they are clearly visible in the mass of information i have provided....if i did that others would accuse me of repeating myself...but it is clear...people do not read what i provided as links to valid facts and information...or such comments as I just saw would not be made.

Pet foods are governed by the FDA and AAFCO in the USA...government food authorities. These have recalled many pet foods as people must be even vaguely aware of....but never...in over 35 years any vegan cat foods that exceed the AAFCO standards for "species appropriate" for digestibility etc criteria needed for pet foods.

So your statements claiming there are nutrients cats need that are only in animals bodies turned into meat...is totally false.

Regarding your advice to not own a pet cat...owning pets is not really vegan so nothing wrong about that suggestion....the ultimate goal of veganism is no more animal ownership and that included pet ownership.

"There are vitamins our bodies are able to make that cats cannot make and have to get by eating animal flesh. " was the very incorrect statement you made. What vitamins ? be specific if making such alarming claims is necessary on such a topic ...seriously.

If your statement about missing vitamins were true...there would be no vegan cats around or vegan cat foods. As it is...there are 20 year old indoor vegan fed cats around...and the vegan cat foods have been sold without anything missing in them for over 35 years. Facts I have provided many times on this thread.

If anyone makes such claims...details and proof of expert views are needed to substantiate such views as facts...right now...the FDA and AAFCO for the USA. FEDIAF for Europe.

However many people are ignorant of the existance without a recall of vegan cat foods for over 35 years...that is why this forum is helpful for education needs.

I see that you ignored the last comment on this thread that I had done providing the links and information needed...but...in case difficult to look at more than one comment in this thread...here is the link I provided to full substantiated statements of facts...

Which prove clearly...if someone does wish to own a pet cat...and be vegan...there is no problem as vegan cat foods have existed I repeat for over 35 years without a single recall by the FDA or any world pet food controlling authorities.

ps your other incorrect statement is...that by keeping a pet cat indoors that is abusing the cat. I would not bandy around accusations of animal abuse so loosely...I keep my vegan fed cat indoors mostly only outside under supervision...for many reasons...

1. It is COVID time avoiding contact and transmission of the virus is important.

Cats can get the virus and stroking a cat who has the virus on their fur can transmit it to a human.

2. Road splat risks...so many cats get killed by roads. Not worth the risk.

3. Wild life killing...no need to be the cause of wild bird extinction by non ecosystem pet cats.

As to whether cruel or as you called it "abuse" ...well any farmed animal is caged and lives in not a flat or house space that a pet cat gets with toys but 19 adult size chickens to 1m2 wire cages. So a pet cat has not been confined as badly as 99 percent of farm animals for their entire lives.

It is I agree ridiculous how people who own pet cats and allow them out to kill wild life and feed them mostly of course on bred by humans rabbits and chickens etc who never got any freedom to walk outside...think that is ethical at all...to force animals to live without even seeing the daylight and kill them age 3 months old for a pet cat ..who also runs outside killing birds etc.

No need...do not buy cat food made of those poor restricted never went out for their 3 months lives farm animals...and keep the pet cat inside a larger than 19 adult size chickens cage of 1m2.

Plenty people keep indoor cats and it is not cruel.

Plenty people ...most actually...do not own pets. Very sensible. Very vegan.

In fact if people were not "getting pets" purely out of selfish petting and entertainment needs...all the money wasted on them could be spent on sustaining the decling bird wild life population of free animals.

I actually find this last proposal far more beneficial to far more animals lives than keeping 1 pet cat.

In case missed in my comment on this post done today with this photo and many more factural details ...these 2 cats are indoor cats...vegan fed...20 years old

Celine and Poppy

So obviously they never needed any vitamins other than those all included for the cat species as needed in their vegan cat foods.

1597160218701.png

Last edited:

I find that I can express my love for animals by maintaining a bird bath and planting native plants in my garden to attract chipmunks, rabbits, birds, and pollinators. A hummingbird visits my garden almost every morning, and my birdbath receives hundreds of winged bathers every day. If you don't have a garden, please consider similar hobbies, such as bird-watching or wildlife photography rather than keeping a cat.
Cats can also be harness trained. That's how you eliminate them from damaging the wildlife and they get to go outside every day. It isn't animal abuse to keep cats indoors. When they have company of each others and a large indoor area with lots of toys, cat trees and scratching posts, they can be happy. You can also provide them with catio, or if you live in an apartment, at least a view to outside world through a window.
It can be very dangerous to keep cats outside. Extreme weather, predators like foxes and dogs, or even other cats can seriously harm your cats. Also some humans might want to hurt them, if they wander off to someones garden. You don't want to expose your cats to anything like that if you care about them.
In a city cars are a threat to cats and should defenitely keep them indoors otherwise and harness train them.
If your cat is especially active, you can take them to agility courses. And of course you'd play with them and they would play with each others.
I'd say that keeping cats outside is more of an neglect than keeping them indoors, if the indoor set up is right and the cat guardian is active with their feline friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.