UK British "mug" measurement?

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I just purchased the Abel and Cole's Veg Box cookbooks. Yes, I know they have a few meat recipes, but I can convert most meat and dairy recipes, and ignore the ones I can't. Since it is mostly veg recipes I am pleased.

And since I found them used on Amazon for $5 each, with free shipping, I was willing to give them a try.

But all through the books they have a "mug" measurement that I don't understand. 1/3 mug and 1/2 mug. Is this the same as a cup?

In the UK, everyone has mugs for their tea and coffee; a mug is fairly informal but even more ubiquitous than a cup. That’s probably why the US cup measurement feels so alien to us.

a mug is likely to be anywhere from 8-12 fl oz, but just think of it as about half a pint or a US cup on steroids. It’s not an official measurement by any means so it probably is used to represent “some”. If they wanted to be precise they’d be using a proper imperial or metric measure.

But all through the books they have a "mug" measurement that I don't understand. 1/3 mug and 1/2 mug. Is this the same as a cup?

A mug isn`t the same as a cup and strangely enough we don`t use mugs to weigh ingredients. I did read the descriptive of the author`s book and he says `throw away your cups and scales`! :)
What kind of recipes does he have using mugs as a measure?

Thank you
A mug isn`t the same as a cup and strangely enough we don`t use mugs to weigh ingredients. I did read the descriptive of the author`s book and he says `throw away your cups and scales`! :)
What kind of recipes does he have using mugs as a measure?

Pretty much everything.

Pumpkin and Apple Soup

1 1/2 to 2 mugs vegetable stock.

Cucumber and Celery Soup

1 mug sliced celery

1 mug sliced leek

1 1/2 mugs of diced cucumber

1 mug diced potato

2 mugs veg stock

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
Thank you

Pretty much everything.

Pumpkin and Apple Soup

Cucumber and Celery Soup

1 mug sliced celery

1 mug sliced leek

1 mug diced potato

2 mugs veg stock

Just sounds like he wants to have a different approach to cooking food. When making these kind of recipes you don`t need exact quantities.

Just sounds like he wants to have a different approach to cooking food. When making these kind of recipes you don`t need exact quantities.

Well, some of the recipes do need to be little more exact. 1/2 mug rice vinegar in a dressing is a little inexact when the rest of the recipe is in tablespoons and teaspoons. And instructions for 1/2 mug of sugar in a pumpkin pie is a little confusing.

Even the muffin recipe is in mugs.

It is just a little weird.

Last edited:
Well, some of the recipes do need to be little more exact. 1/2 mug rice vinegar in a dressing is a little inexact when the rest of the recipe is in tablespoons and teaspoons. And instructions for 1/2 mug of sugar in a pumpkin pie is a little confusing.

Sounds like how I cook. A handful, fist size, a pinch, to taste.....
I read recipes as inspiration, but never follow any. I look at all similar ones to get proportions and what's common, and mash them up how like.
I'll see if I can get this book from library

I just think that he really does go by his words `chuck out the scales and cups`. That is fine if you are an experienced
baker or cook. Perhaps trying his recipes will be a lot of trial and error. Just taste as you go along and frankly for savoury
recipes such as soups, stews, pasta and salads, precise measures aren`t important.

Reactions: PTree15
Thank you

Pretty much everything.

Pumpkin and Apple Soup

Cucumber and Celery Soup

1 mug sliced celery

1 mug sliced leek

1 mug diced potato

2 mugs veg stock
That recipe with cup measurement would be the same soup but maybe a bit more of it using mugs. Mugs are bigger than cups.
It is not that long ago people used cups and saucers in the uk and i am sure cups were part of a cake recipe. One cup sugar, one cup of flour, but may be wrong.