Votes: 4 66.7%
  • It's worked for me/I've seen it work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Well...I'm interested

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
W

winter.frost

A controversial topic. What do you think about it?

There seems to be a strong link between people interested in veganism and breatharianism. I suppose there could be an ethical connection (it certainly doesn't require many resources!), and there is also a more 'alternative' connection. How do you feel about it being seemingly related to veganism in the collective consciousness?

For those who do not know, breatharianism is the belief that it is possible to sustain life without food (or even water). Literally, living off one's breath alone.

And for my part I am not a believer. I have read the anecdotes and such, but I'm thoroughly sceptical. Whilst I do believe that, for instance, deep meditation can give rise to all kinds of physiological changes I don't think I can make room for an idea I consider to be dangerous.

But maybe I've missed the point? Either way, if you like the concept or you don't, post here.

I like the idea. As I understand it, it isn't just not eating food, it is living off energy, which is why we eat food, we eat to get certain vitamins and minerals from the food. and our bodies have adapted to extract what we need and deal with the waste. So it is getting that energy from another way, one still has to drink occasionally I think. Jasmuheen at http://www.jasmuheen.com/ is a breatharian apparently.

I can remember when on Tomorrow's World they said our food would be in tablet form and we'd be wearing paper clothes, bring it on I thought, but it never happened. I'm one of those people who eat to live and the kitchen is certainly not the heart of our home.

This is one reason why I cannot credit Jasmuheen. It's not the fact that she says the test wasn't optimal (she thought it would be fine until it started to fail), or the fact that she says breatharianism is supported by 100 million people (it's not), or that other breatharians have claimed only to be picking up take-aways so that their friends can eat (why aren't the friends doing the collections?)... every ounce of my intuition and perception watching the video tells me something is wrong:

That and the fact that, scientifically speaking, the air is not host to all the vital nutrients we need to survive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that's how I work. I keep an open mind. I tend to see how something fits with what I know, if it doesn't I put it on the back burner, and see how it fits when I get more information. I never throw anything out, it might be the magic piece that explains everything.
Breatharianism is not a new idea so I suppose there must be some foundation for it somewhere. Maybe some people are able to do it, but not everyone.

I do think the body, mind, has other appetites that can only be satiated through peaceful or spiritual means. Personally, however, I don't think that extends to breatharianism.

Like you I will be ready to receive any new facts - I am as much grounded in science as I am in alternative ideas - but 'til then I'm just too sceptical of this concept. I am also prejudiced by the fact that I know that many suffering from anorexia turn to breatharianism because of their difficult relationship with food, which is no good thing.

No that isn't. It isn't something you can just do. I understood that it took years, being vegetarian and vegan, then fruitarian and so on to breatharian. Years and years to achieve, and then it might not be suitable for you.

Hi there,

I'm writing a book about Breatharianism, and am looking for people to share their story/experiences of the practice with me.

Shoot me a message if you'd be interested in potentially doing an interview with me and sharing your story.

Cheers