Boy Scouts rapidly approaching Hate Group territory

People need to start boycotting the Boy Scouts.

But how? It's not like the girl scouts, where people actually do productive things. The only way to boycott them would really be to just not join, and most of the people who are socially aware enough to understand the implications of these barbaric old-world regulations are too young to care.

Sometimes I see Boy Scouts selling random things outside grocery stores. Microwave popcorn, candy bars, and the like. I never buy anything from them.

Then again, I never buy anything from anyone selling overpriced crap outside grocery stores. ($8 for a five-pack of microwave popcorn? $3 for a candy bar? How about no.)

The parents (at least some of them) should care. There should be an awareness campaign aimed at them, something along the lines of, "Would you allow your son to join an organization that specifically excludes African Americans from membership? Then why allow him to join an organization that excludes gay Americans from membership?"

The parents (at least some of them) should care. There should be an awareness campaign aimed at them, something along the lines of, "Would you allow your son to join an organization that specifically excludes African Americans from membership? Then why allow him to join an organization that excludes gay Americans from membership?"
Derp, didn't think about that. I'm sure that's going to happen anyway. At least, I hope it does.

Not entirely surprising to me. We would have no scout troops in our area if it weren't for the LDS church keeping it alive. I believe the Boy Scouts are the official boys' youth group of Mormons.

If you are going to actually take a step to avoid supporting the Boy Scouts (such as not enrolling your child into them, or refusing to buy from them during fund-raising) make sure you drop a letter in the mail to the organization telling them why.

It'll probably be more effective than simply boycotting them.

Ideally, there would be no Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts, there would just be Scouts. And both boys and girls, regardless of sexual orientation, could join and learn all the things taught in Boy Scouts (excluding discrimination) and Girl Scouts. And grownups, regardless of sexual orientation, could be scout leaders.

tumblr_m73sanYAbi1qiragno1_500.png

On another forum, a young women described Girls Scouts as incredibly dull. She said all they ever did was art and crafts type stuff, and they would never consider "boy" activities like camping and hiking, fishing, sports, etc.

Her experience may be an exception, but if it's not, then the GS have their own issues.

..BTW, I'm not implying that the BS don't have issues...

On another forum, a young women described Girls Scouts as incredibly dull. She said all they ever did was art and crafts type stuff, and they would never consider "boy" activities like camping and hiking, fishing, sports, etc.

Her experience may be an exception, but if it's not, then the GS have their own issues.

I like the abbreviation.

I'm tired of the BS BS!

I agree that there should just be scouts. And when my brother was involved in cub scouts, I remember being so jealous because in my short time in girl scouts (about a year or two), we never did fun things or had outings or any of the things they did!

We actually did do camping skills and tying knots and things when I was one, but I found all that stuff boring at the time. I just wanted to sit in a sleeping bag and read teen magazines and eat candy. If only at the time I had known how lucky I was to have the opportunity to learn those skills, but I was a silly 11 year old with no attention span.

Ironically I wish there had been more emphasis on arts and crafts when I was that age. growing up where I did I had outdoor stuff shoved down my throat all the time, including being made to do scary "confidence" courses, being made to abseil and do swimming sports in a 6 foot pool when I couldnt swim (ended up coughing and choking beside the pool while being told not to be a baby) and all sorts of stupid ball sports which I hated but sadistic PE teachers were determined for me to be interested in.

Reactions: Queerasaurus Rex
We actually did do camping skills and tying knots and things when I was one, but I found all that stuff boring at the time. I just wanted to sit in a sleeping bag and read teen magazines and eat candy. If only at the time I had known how lucky I was to have the opportunity to learn those skills, but I was a silly 11 year old with no attention span.
Haha!

I had thought being a girl scout meant getting to eat the cookies all the time, because all I knew about girl scouts was that they were cookies, but it ended up being way more boring.

I did too. I thought that there would be fun things to do. But these ex quaker type women and girls ran the group and they liked standing around and praying. So we used to run away from the praying bits and hide behind the curtains in the hall and look at magazines and things. I remember the leader coming and finding us there and we got into trouble.

Reactions: Queerasaurus Rex
Ideally, there would be no Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts, there would just be Scouts. And both boys and girls, regardless of sexual orientation, could join and learn all the things taught in Boy Scouts (excluding discrimination) and Girl Scouts. And grownups, regardless of sexual orientation, could be scout leaders.

tumblr_m73sanYAbi1qiragno1_500.png
Here we have scouts, which is for boys and girls (but in practice mostly boys join) and Girl Guides..I was in the scouts and it was pretty good, people made sexist remarks occasionally but it was way more interesting than I've heard the guides was who only seemed to do craft stuff. Obviously though I think boys and girls should be allowed in both groups.

when i think of hate groups, i think of the Klan or skinhead groups. I don't know that i'd put the scouts under the label of a hate group just yet.