Boy Scouts rapidly approaching Hate Group territory

idk about that .i was a scout and wasn't indoctrinated that i remember. i dislike most folks equally.

So, wait, what's the big deal here? Private organizations have a constitutional right to set their own standards for membership and leadership positions free from government interference. What's next, are you going to protest the UNCF because they don't give scholarships to non-African Americans? I understand your disappointment that their opinion contrasts your own, but they're allowed that opinion and to deny them freedom of assembly is to deny them their natural rights.

So, wait, what's the big deal here? Private organizations have a constitutional right to set their own standards for membership and leadership positions free from government interference. What's next, are you going to protest the UNCF because they don't give scholarships to non-African Americans? I understand your disappointment that their opinion contrasts your own, but they're allowed that opinion and to deny them freedom of assembly is to deny them their natural rights.

Oh, you're absolutely right, and I don't think anyone's protesting the fact that they can do that. If the government is given the power to simply shut them up, then the government can shut anyone up, and that's not a good thing. But by the same laws, we have the right to point out to them that they're dickheads.

What if gay boys want to go and learn how to make fires and tie knots? What if someone's scout leader is a dad that just so happens to be married to another dad? We can't force them to change their policies, but we can make it clear that we are NOT pleased with it. It'd be counterproductive to freedom of speech if we simply said "Oh, curses, they don't let gay people in, nothing we can do about it" when there are ways we can do something about it.

Just because they have a legal right to do this doesn't make it any more right. The whole argument about them being a private organization and having the right to do this is the same argument that was used to keep minorities out of establishments in the Jim Crow years. Comparing this to that with the UNCF is comparing apples to oranges. This is a completely different, and opposite situation. Queers, like African-Americans, are a minority. If the UNCF only gave scholarships to white people then your comparison might be slightly better, though still very off, because an organization that gives out scholarships is not the same thing at all as a youth group. And it's not like the UNCF is showing intolerance for non-African-Americans like the Boy Scouts are showing for queers.

Woah! It's not a major offense. Only capitalizing letters and extra spaces between punctuation, as well as less frequent missing spaces between punctuation, usually when the former occurs.

I think he can be let off with a warning.

Don't label me a hate mongerer of proper english usage. or, do.

So, wait, what's the big deal here? Private organizations have a constitutional right to set their own standards for membership and leadership positions free from government interference. What's next, are you going to protest the UNCF because they don't give scholarships to non-African Americans?

Okay, I was reading that as the "United Nations Children's Fund" and wondering what the hell was wrong with them.

United Negro College Fund makes a bit more sense in context. By definition, race-based scholarships are racist, but considering the sub-par college attendance rates of African-Americans compared to other groups, steps should be taken to rectify the situation. (Of course one could argue that steps should be taken well before college, but that's a different debate, and this post has already gone off the topic far enough.)

scoutsforall_v18-01.png

The Source

Haha, even Mitt Romney said that gay people should be able to be in the Boy Scouts!