Physical Exercise Bouldering

It's climbing without a rope (so you don't tend to go very high!).

I'm booked in for a class in a couple of weeks at my local climbing wall, squee! :)

I'm scared of heights and have no upper body strength. Should be good! ;)

I think my cousin (who is an experienced climber) does this a lot, and I think he's even got a wall like that in his house.

I've done it, quite a bit; I go rock climbing, and we always start off on the roped walls and then move on to bouldering after a couple of hours. I'm not much of a fan; I much, much prefer having the rope there. But it's damned good excersise.

I've done it, quite a bit; I go rock climbing, and we always start off on the roped walls and then move on to bouldering after a couple of hours. I'm not much of a fan; I much, much prefer having the rope there. But it's damned good excersise.

Ah interesting, what do you prefer about having the rope?

Ah interesting, what do you prefer about having the rope?

It feels more secure. I'm quite a nervous climber; the height doesn't bother me at all, but the falling does. In bouldering, if you fall off, it's never high enough to hurt or anything, but the thought of it still makes me feel unsafe. With the rope, I know that I'm not gonna go anywhere.

It feels more secure. I'm quite a nervous climber; the height doesn't bother me at all, but the falling does. In bouldering, if you fall off, it's never high enough to hurt or anything, but the thought of it still makes me feel unsafe. With the rope, I know that I'm not gonna go anywhere.
Plus going down is fun with the rope. :-D I've never bouldered though.

Reactions: yally
Yally, where do you live? Lots of good bouldering options in SoCal. Most universities and colleges have clubs that would prolly let you come along on trips. My best advice is to get a pair of climbing shoes that feel right, and learn to trust them. They really make a huge difference.