Northeast Boston restaurant and hotel suggestions

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm staying several days in Boston later this summer for a work-related event and was wondering if anyone could suggest a few good restaurants and help me pick a hotel?

I've been to Boston one time before (on a VB moderator meet-up!) and had a very good time dining at places like Buddha's Delight, Grasshopper etc.

These are the hotels I have to choose from:
Edit: Looks like the Renaissance is closest to the event. Anyone know if it's a decent place? I struggle to sleep in noisy places, so I would like to avoid that if possible.

You have to try out Veggie Galaxy on Mass Ave in Central Square in Cambridge. It is right near the red line t stop. they just opened about a year ago and they are an all vegetarian diner with lots of vegan options. if you are into healthy hippier food you should also check out Life Alive near central square. Another lesser known vegetarian spot is the Greater Boston Buddhist Cultural Center, also near central square (can you tell where I used to live?). They have a restaurant in the front and are only open for lunch. Instead of having a normal menu, you just get a plate of whatever they have cooked that day, and it is always vegetarian. The vegan pizza place next to Grasshopper is under newish ownership and is pretty good - it is now called Piece o Pie. I don't know much about hotels, but I know that the hyatt harborside is a little inconveniently located if.you want to get to downtown. Enjoy Boston!

Reactions: Scorpius
I second Michelle's restaurant suggestions! Life Alive in Cambridge is amazing!
In general, Boston (and the surrounding cities, like Cambridge) is a very veg-friendly city. The only hotel I've stayed in is the Holiday Inn :p and it was within walking distance from a Whole Foods, so I had no problem foraging for my supper when I stayed there.
Have fun on your trip! Maybe I'll bump into you on the T!

You have to try out Veggie Galaxy on Mass Ave in Central Square in Cambridge. It is right near the red line t stop. they just opened about a year ago and they are an all vegetarian diner with lots of vegan options. if you are into healthy hippier food you should also check out Life Alive near central square. Another lesser known vegetarian spot is the Greater Boston Buddhist Cultural Center, also near central square (can you tell where I used to live?). They have a restaurant in the front and are only open for lunch. Instead of having a normal menu, you just get a plate of whatever they have cooked that day, and it is always vegetarian. The vegan pizza place next to Grasshopper is under newish ownership and is pretty good - it is now called Piece o Pie. I don't know much about hotels, but I know that the hyatt harborside is a little inconveniently located if.you want to get to downtown. Enjoy Boston!
Thanks for these ideas! I've just been to Veggie Galaxy, and liked it. I didn't feel like eating very much so I just had a nice vegan omelette. Overall it seemed very vegan-friendly. They also had cakes and baked foods that were all vegan.

I'm hoping to visit Peace o' Pie tomorrow or Wednesday. From what I've been told it's run by epski (old school VBer) and wife.

Also been to My Thai Vegan Cafe (meh) for late-night take-away and one of the Clover trucks (yay) for lunch.

Just back from Peace o' Pie. It was good pizza, but I had to travel a long way to get there, and it was raining, and I had to go to KFC to find a bathroom. Oh, but I have left-overs! :)

Are you having fun in Bean Town? *waves*
Yeah, it's quite nice, although missing the ball & chain :) I'm here on a conference, but it ends today. I'm changing hotels tonight, so have to do some navigating to find my way up to Saugus, and then flying out tomorrow.

I'm really impressed with the vegan-friendliness of the city, and especially happy with the Clover trucks.

Btw, if anyone wants to meet up for a bite of food later (done here at 5pm), do let me know!

How nice of you to ask, but it's too short of notice for me! I'm a lousy dinner companion anyways, no manners whatsoever. :p

HOWEVER, I would like to see if VV could get some sort of MA/NH meetup together, seeing there is a few of us from that region on here. I think it would be fun!

Try the Country Life Vegetarian Buffet.
A restaurant owned by 7th day Adventist. Last time I was there it was all vegan. I believe it's on 200 High St, unless they moved.
Was just looking at this thread again to remind myself of the restaurants I visited. I did actually try to find this one on the map (Google maps), but IIRC the address was in the middle of a junction or something, i.e. did not exist any more.