Books with vegan themes

Qwaychou

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
So, have you ever read a book before you were vegan, that had vegan themes, and you wished you had paid attention to it when you first read it?
I read Back to Eden by Jethro Kloss, and it talks at length about avoiding meat and dairy, and gives lots of recipes and other health information (from back in the 1930's i believe, but some is still revelant)
I just wish i had listened to it the first time i read it.

Reactions: David3
So, have you ever read a book before you were vegan, that had vegan themes, and you wished you had paid attention to it when you first read it?
I read Back to Eden by Jethro Kloss, and it talks at length about avoiding meat and dairy, and gives lots of recipes and other health information (from back in the 1930's i believe, but some is still revelant)
I just wish i had listened to it the first time i read it.

I like those early veg cookbooks, from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Also, if you read the vegetarian "physical culture" magazines from that time, they discuss a lot of the same things (both rational and wacky) that are discussed within the modern veg community. They are an enjoyable read online, though some of their articles occasionally reflect certain weird beliefs of that time.

1578887454188.png

Last edited:
No I can't say that I did, at least not that I recall.

Maybe not exactly what you are asking for, but two fiction novels I recommend that have vegan themes are The Vegetarian by Han Kang and The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. Neither is explicitly pro-vegan though.

Kang is a Buddhist telling an odd story through a Korean feminist lens (it may have indirectly pointed me to Ecofeminism) about a vegetarian who is actually vegan because Koreans don't eat dairy.

Atwood's tale is environmentally plant based and somewhat humorous in a dystopian near future world. Bee keeping is portrayed as humane and essential to being self sufficient as a commune, so it would divide vegans on that point. I think Atwood is in reality a pescatarian or something. She's not vegan which becomes obvious in Madd Addam, the third book in the same trilogy.

They're all good books though.

The young-adult fiction books of Francesca Lia Block (a winner of the American Library Association's lifetime achievement award) have vegetarian and environmental plot elements - the strength of these elements varies in her different books. Many of the characters in her books are vegetarian, though not in an outspoken way.

“Under the twinkling trees was a table covered with Guatemalan fabric, roses in juice jars, wax rose candles from Tijuana and plates of food — Weetzie's Vegetable Love-Rice, My Secret Agent Lover Man's guacamole, Dirk's homemade pizza, Duck's fig and berry salad and Surfer Surprise Protein Punch, Brandy-Lynn's pink macaroni, Coyote's cornmeal cakes, Ping's mushu plum crepes and Valentine's Jamaican plantain pie. Witch Baby's stomach growled but she didn't leave her hiding place. Instead, she listened to the reggae, surf, soul and salsa, tugged at the snarl balls in her hair and snapped pictures of all the couples.”
- from Witch Baby, by Francesca Lia Block, published 1991

1579033175030.png

Reactions: Qwaychou