Health & Medicine Blood type and heart disease

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Compared to people with type O blood:

People with the AB blood type were 23% more likely to develop heart disease.
People with blood type A had a 5% increased risk.
People with blood type B had an 11% increased risk.
Earlier studies suggest that the A blood type is linked to higher levels of LDL ("bad") cholesterol, and that the AB blood type is tied to inflammation, which is also linked to heart disease.

Blood Type May Impact Heart Risk (WebMD)

Ah well, like everything else control what you can (diet, exercise, etc.) and don't lose too much sleep over what one can't control.

Any particular reason why you wouldn't if they wanted your blood?

I feel woozy when I see blood coming out of me into a needle.

Also, the community blood bank here is extremely annoying: My husband has donated in the past, and they call him weekly asking him to donate again, usually at dinner time. Despite asking repeatedly to be taken off their call list (he goes in when he has time), they continue to call.

Even if I wanted to donate, I wouldn't just because of the way they harass people.

I'm in the rare but apparently fragile AB group, so if you don't hear from me again, you know what happened to me :)

Seriously though, it does make me want to be extra cautious about diet & exercise, but as with all health studies like that, it would be nice to have the results confirmed from other research groups.

I'm type A (-) myself and my LDL has always been low regardless of what I eat... even when I did Atkins a few years back.

My mother is O+ and had a major heart attack at 54. She was normal weight, omni, smoker, and active. Her cholesterol had never been checked (25 years ago) and her level was 454.

I'm B-, and have cholesterol over 250 as a vegan. My omni siblings have been on statin drugs for years.

My mother is O+ and had a major heart attack at 54. She was normal weight, omni, smoker, and active. Her cholesterol had never been checked (25 years ago) and her level was 454.

I'm B-, and have cholesterol over 250 as a vegan. My omni siblings have been on statin drugs for years.

My mom has AB+, Dad B-, both have been on statin drugs for years, but no signs of heart disease for either as of yet. I'm A+ and prior to adopting a low fat whole food plant based diet I was in the 250+ range and am since changing am now around 170 cholesterol.

Personally I'd like to see some more studies done on diet, cholesterol levels and heart disease.

I'm AB+. I didn't realize AB+ blood was so rare. Being a universal recipient is kind of nice.

Also, I have no idea what my cholesterol is. I've been wanting to find that out for quite awhile.