Are Mock Meats Healthier than Meat

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I got a an email this morning from a vegan website called Delish Knowledge in regards to a controlled study as to whether plant based mock meats are healthier than organic grass fed meat.

I've included the abstract of the study; if anybody would like to sort through the statistics.

From what I am reading; our bodies have a healthier reaction to the plant based alternatives.

"Participants consumed two or more servings of the plant-based or animal-based meat every day for eight weeks, then switched and consumed the other for the following eight weeks.

Consuming the plant-based meats after consuming quality, organic animal-based meats showed a statistically significant positive impact on LDL cholesterol and a small impact on weight loss-- about 2 pounds over the course of 8 weeks without changing any other aspect of the diet.

After the plant section of the trial, participants also had lower concentrations of a molecule called TMAO, which has been linked to cardiovascular disease risk or other chronic disease risk. Additionally, while protein and sodium intake was the same on both diets, fiber consumption was higher and saturated fat consumption was lower on the plant-based diet."

Yeah. I saw that study already.
Its been getting a lot of attention since meat companies have gone on the offensive and attacked mock meats (1).
Not that I wish to defend the meat industry but there is a little truth to their claims. A lot of mock meats are high in fat and salt. But then again as the study said and other studies have shown. almost any alternative is healthier that the real thing if for no other reason that cholesterol and sat fat content.

Also any meat alternative is better for the planet. and... oh yeah ... for the chickens pigs and cows.

the one takeaway that I would like to be emphasized is that mock meats and the vegan alternative foods are great for onimvores to use to cut down on their meat consumption and for transitioning vegans to make the transition. But if you are concerned about health - stick with the the Whole Foods and the less processed foods.

1. Home - Center for Consumer Freedom

Yeah. I saw that study already.
Its been getting a lot of attention since meat companies have gone on the offensive and attacked mock meats (1).
Not that I wish to defend the meat industry but there is a little truth to their claims. A lot of mock meats are high in fat and salt. But then again as the study said and other studies have shown. almost any alternative is healthier that the real thing if for no other reason that cholesterol and sat fat content.

Also any meat alternative is better for the planet. and... oh yeah ... for the chickens pigs and cows.

the one takeaway that I would like to be emphasized is that mock meats and the vegan alternative foods are great for onimvores to use to cut down on their meat consumption and for transitioning vegans to make the transition. But if you are concerned about health - stick with the the Whole Foods and the less processed foods.

1. Home - Center for Consumer Freedom

What what I'm reading in the study is plant based fats are healthier than animal fats. Any fat can't be considered as truly healthy, but plant oils are less damaging than fat from meat.

• Agree
Reactions: Veganite
What what I'm reading in the study is plant based fats are healthier than animal fats. Any fat can't be considered as truly healthy, but plant oils are less damaging than fat from meat.
Yes. absolutely. and most plant based foods are lower in sat fat automatically. And don't contain cholesterol.

Plant based foods are usually higher in almost all the nutrients. Even some like phytonutrients that don't show up on labels.

I think one of the critismss was the long list of ingredients in things like plant based burgers. but as the plant based lobby is quick to remind us is the there are all kinds of things added to the feed of the cows that does NOT get listed in any kind of labeling.

You might want to rephrase that as fats from whole plants are necessary.
Oils of any kind can't be considered healthy
Seeds, nuts, avocado, soy beans and tempeh ..... are necessary for many vitamins absorption

Seeds, nuts, avocado, soy beans and tempeh ..... are necessary for many vitamins absorption
I don't think there is a mRDA for sat fats.
There is a mRDA for unsaturated fats. Its pretty low. Perhaps 12 g. but I'm not sure. but the takeaway is that almost none of us have to worry about not getting enough fat.

I don't think there is a mRDA for sat fats.
There is a mRDA for unsaturated fats. Its pretty low. Perhaps 12 g. but I'm not sure. but the takeaway is that almost none of us have to worry about not getting enough fat.
Well, few plant foods have saturated fats--tropical things like coconut and palm oil

I was referring to fact that many of the plant based faux meats have quite a bit of plant oils, like coconut oil. Probably more than recommended, but our bodies seem to react better to plant based saturated fats, rather than saturated fat from animals.

The study put meat against faux meats, and showed animal fats are much more damaging than plant based saturated fats.

Reactions: Lou
I was referring to fact that many of the plant based faux meats have quite a bit of plant oils, like coconut oil. Probably more than recommended, but our bodies seem to react better to plant based saturated fats, rather than saturated fat from animals.

The study put meat against faux meats, and showed animal fats are much more damaging than plant based saturated fats.

great discussion and you hit on an important fact in your first post - TMAO - that is the nastiest part of animal meats for sure

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou

Oh yes, I just wanted to clarify the "Any fat can't be considered as truly healthy", to distinguish fats from oils and whole plant foods

Reactions: Emma JC
Mock meats certainly don't have cholesterol or transfats. They also have very little, if any saturated fat.

The number 1 & 2 killers of Americans ( after COVID 19 ) are heart disease and cancer.

So, I think mock meats help for the general population.

Mock meats are insanely high in sodium. The UN released a statement that the cheapest way for any country to reduce premature deaths from any cause was to encourage its people to consume less sodium.

Mock meats are also made from isolates, not whole foods. Mock meats probably lack a lot of needed micronutrients. I have been to several vegan friendly registered dietitians that told me long term small deficiencies in minerals and other micronutrients is a common thing, and often leads to health issues in the long term.

I eat mock meats as a treat when I go out to eat. I do not use mock meats as a staple food for the reasons given.