UK Bloated... badly!

Mamashaka

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am new to this forum and hoping to get some advice. I changed to a plant based diet just over 6 weeks ago. I am enjoying it so far I definitely starting to feel the benefits apart from the unbelievable bloating. Did anyone else experience this when you changed diet? If so how long did it last and how do you stop it?
I’ve been drinking lots of water and pepper mint tea. Also taking pro biotic but haven’t seen much difference.

hello Mamashaka and welcome to the forum and to a new lifestyle

It is not uncommon for bloating to occur as many people increase their fibre intake after having very little previously and it takes the gut some time to change it's biome to the new healthy one.

Without knowing what you are eating and what you used to eat it is challenging to help you figure it out. As always, if you feel you need to consult a medical professional you should. Maybe you could find a nearby plant-based nutritionist or doctor?

Have you been eating a lot of beans? and did you previously? are you cooking the beans yourself?

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
hello Mamashaka and welcome to the forum and to a new lifestyle

It is not uncommon for bloating to occur as many people increase their fibre intake after having very little previously and it takes the gut some time to change it's biome to the new healthy one.

Without knowing what you are eating and what you used to eat it is challenging to help you figure it out. As always, if you feel you need to consult a medical professional you should. Maybe you could find a nearby plant-based nutritionist or doctor?

Have you been eating a lot of beans? and did you previously? are you cooking the beans yourself?

Emma JC

Hi Emma

thanks for your quick reply!

Yes I have been eating different times of beans, lentils etc. Also lots of veg. My previous diet was more protein based, mainly fish and chicken. I thought I was eating lots of fibre but it wasn’t much in comparison to now.

Is it something that’s likely to settle or should I just get used to it?!

Hi Emma

thanks for your quick reply!

Yes I have been eating different times of beans, lentils etc. Also lots of veg. My previous diet was more protein based, mainly fish and chicken. I thought I was eating lots of fibre but it wasn’t much in comparison to now.

Is it something that’s likely to settle or should I just get used to it?!

It should settle however you may wish to back off a bit on the amount of beans and the higher fibre foods. Keep it simpler like lots of potatoes, sweet potatoes, cooked vegetables and greens and make sure that any beans you have are very well cooked. Fruits berries citrus fruits etc.

There is no chance of dying of protein deficiency over the next month or so eat foods that don't cause you pain and if it persists then do get checked out.

Here is a study about the changes that take place in the gut

and if you google - whole food plant based biome gut change - you will find lots more references to it

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou, Val and Poppy
Hi everyone
I am new to this forum and hoping to get some advice. I changed to a plant based diet just over 6 weeks ago. I am enjoying it so far I definitely starting to feel the benefits apart from the unbelievable bloating. Did anyone else experience this when you changed diet? If so how long did it last and how do you stop it?
I’ve been drinking lots of water and pepper mint tea. Also taking pro biotic but haven’t seen much difference.
Hello Mamashaka!:wave: I understand your pain, because i have this problem too! :hug:
For reducing (and even eliminating) your bloating, i would recommend the following things (because i use them as well, and they DO help).👇

Out of meds, here are two that are effective and relatively safe (i don't know where you are, so i'll just post the names of active ingredients).
1) Simeticone (provides very quick and long-term relief of bloating):
2) Diosmectite (more mild, but also effective, especially if one is new to it):

Herbal (natural) remedies.
1) Fennel seeds (very old and proven remedy):
2) Dried crushed marigold flowers (no one told me about their gas-reducing properties,- i found it out myself). Anyway, marigolds are worth it, because they are loaded with antioxidants and everything:

Also, try and read this:

[.....But pls keep in mind, that excessive bloating may be an indicator of more serious conditions, such as gynaecological diseases and pathological processes].

/Best regards, Unghshu🐨

I don't know if the probiotic is a good idea. The gut flora of plant eaters is quite different from meat eaters, and it takes some time to change.
Just my own experience- I bought my son probiotics because he had all kinds of ibs symptoms. He wouldn't take them, so I tried them. I had no digestive issues, but consistently heard how good they were for you. OMG- after a few days I was miserable! I had all the problems they were supposed to fix! Gas, bloating, poop problems!
Just saying, maybe go off them and see!