UK 'Blacked up' Morris dancers harassed, accused of racism

Re: Europe, I think it is quite difficult to say what Europeans think as a whole as there are so many different countries and cultures. The countries in Europe I have visited all have had quite distinct cultures and the people don't seem to have the same values/opinions as people in England just because we are all European. Even England and Scotland are quite different culturally, Scotland is much more socially liberal than England.

What would be your attitudes to half-black/half-white faces, like in the original series Star Trek episode?

What would be your attitudes to half-black/half-white faces, like in the original series Star Trek episode?

That's way more abstract and isn't intended to emulate Black folks, nor is it rooted in any tradition of doing so. But at the same time, I wouldn't tell someone who was concerned about it that they were wrong to be, because white people putting black makeup on their faces in large amounts for pretty much any reason is highly suspect. It's just history. Brings up bad feelings.

The entire theme of that episode was the stupidity of bigotry based on skin color: the one group had enslaved and treated the other group abominably because the "inferior" group's coloration was the mirror of the "superior" group's, instead of being identically placed.

But what FortyTwo said.

Last edited: