Black History Month

MadamS,

Thank you for posting this.

But I have two requests for you.

1. The quote appears to be a fragment of a larger message. But what you quoted ends in an ellipsis-- ... . Would you please post the whole message. (I was unable to get to the whole message myself. I do not tweet and am unfamiliar with Twitter.)

2. There are nine people pictured in the photo. The only one I recognized is US Senator Cory Booker. Sorry. May we please get the names of the other eight people pictured?

FYI:

Cory Booker - Wikipedia

https://www.peacefuldumpling.com/cory-booker-vegan

MadamS,

Thank you for posting this.

But I have two requests for you.

1. The quote appears to be a fragment of a larger message. But what you quoted ends in an ellipsis-- ... . Would you please post the whole message. (I was unable to get to the whole message myself. I do not tweet and am unfamiliar with Twitter.)

2. There are nine people pictured in the photo. The only one I recognized is US Senator Cory Booker. Sorry. May we please get the names of the other eight people pictured?

FYI:

Cory Booker - Wikipedia

https://www.peacefuldumpling.com/cory-booker-vegan
I found the original tweet... no further info, sorry. :( Dammit, Moby.... LOL

This might be of some help, though: #BlackVegansRock: 100 Black Vegans to Check Out

For instance, the 1st pic from tweet is Stic Man, the 2nd pic is Dr. Amie Breeze Harper... and I have a bit of a crush on Cory Booker, so I'd know his face anywhere.... :p

Last edited:
I found the original tweet... no further info, sorry. :( Dammit, Moby.... LOL

This might be of some help, though: #BlackVegansRock: 100 Black Vegans to Check Out

For instance, the 1st pic from tweet is Stic Man, the 2nd pic is Dr. Amie Breeze Harper... and I have a bit of a crush on Cory Booker, so I'd know his face anywhere.... :p

Thank you.

Moby posted the same picture(s) and text on his Facebook page. Here is the complete text:

As it's #blackhistorymonth I wanted to express my gratitude and admiration for the African American leaders of the #vegan #animalrights movement. Here are nine leaders, and I could have easily included another hundred. For too long the vegan movement was largely white, and over the last decade it's been incredibly inspiring to see how many committed and compassionate people of color have embraced veganism and health and animal rights. Thank you: @stic @sistahvegan @corybooker @aveganchildsjourney @common @badassvegan @sweetpotatosoul @officialgreymusic #alicecoltrane @feelrich @wthfilm

Hmmn. I thought I was just posting the URL, but the VV software put it in MEDIA brackets and reproduced the whole page.

Last edited:
One resource I picked up several years ago is the Historical Collector's Edition Pictorial History of African American Triumph (Black History Month). This is a fine resource. However, I don't think it is still a going concern.

This is a blog devoted to this magazine. But the most recent entries appear to be 4 years old.

Historical Collectors Edition

Gordon Parks' cinematic photos captured the injustices of the civil rights era

http://www.cnn.com/style/article/go...ts-photography/?iid=ob_lockedrail_bottomlarge

He photographed fashion for Vogue, directed the 1971 blaxploitation film "Shaft," composed orchestral scores, and wrote memoirs, novels and poems. But it was with his sensitive, insightful documentary photos of black America that Gordon Parks made himself one of the 20th century's most important cultural figures.

In 1948, he made history again when he became the first black staff photographer at Life magazine, a position he would hold for two decades. He would go on to fill the magazine's pages with photo essays of black life in the segregated south as well as northern states. Eventually, he would photograph the great leaders of the civil rights era, including Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcolm X and Eldridge Cleaver, and those who rallied behind them.

On October 17, 1956 a remarkable woman was born. Her name is Mae Jemison. As a young woman she used to watch Star Trek (The Original Series) on television. She was particularly impressed and inspired by the character Uhura. "Since I was a little girl I had always assumed I would go into space," she said. She entered Stanford University at age 16 and graduated with a B.S. in chemical engineering. She then went on to get her Medical Degree from Cornell Medical College. She later entered the astronaut training program at NASA, and became the first African American woman to become an astronaut. She became the first African American woman to travel in space when she went into orbit aboard the space shuttle Endeavour on September 12, 1992.

Not long after her space flight, she got a small part in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation (Season 6, "Second Chances"), which was directed by Levar Burton.

Of her experience at Stanford, she said, "Some professors would just pretend I wasn't there. I would ask a question and a professor would act as if it was just so dumb, the dumbest question he had ever heard. Then, when a white guy would ask the same question, the professor would say, 'that's a very astute observation.'" According to Dr. Jameson, "Race is always an issue in the United States."

During her years at Cornell Medical College, she took lessons in modern dance at the Alvin Ailey school. Jemison later bui;lt a dance studio in her home and has choreographed and produced several shows of modern jazz and African dance. (I found this particularly interesting because the fictional doctor on Star Trek: TNG won several dance contests and awards and was teased by being called "The Dancing Doctor" by her fellow medical students when she was in med school. In one episode she teaches the android Data how to dance (in preparation for his attendance at a wedding).)

In 1996 Jameson apparently experienced police brutality at the hands of a white police officer. She was arrested and jailed for allegedly having an unpaid speeding ticket. During the course of the arrest she was handcuffed.
"In the process of arresting her, the officer twisted her wrist and forced her to the ground. In her complaint, Jemison said the officer physically and emotionally mistreated her. Jemison's attorney said she believed she'd already paid the speeding ticket years ago.She spent several hours in jail and was treated at an area hospital after release for deep bruises and a head injury."

Mae Jemison - Wikipedia

At the time of her space flight, Jemison was quite beautiful. She was listed in People magazine's "50 Most Beautiful People in the World" article in 1993.

Last edited:
Damn! I am getting a "this video not available" error message from YouTube on the Black Women Speak video. I viewed this video a few days ago and it played just fine.

When Dr. King gave his "I Have a Dream" speech, there were other speakers scheduled to speak. One was the wrter James Baldwin. But they decided not to let him speak at all, because they feared that what he would say would be too inflammatory. John Lewis was also scheduled t speak. But they only let him speak after heavily editing his text.
This may be a foolish thought,But I would like to know what Baldwin would have said, and what Lewis would have said if his remarks were not censored.