Better jarred legumes/chickpeas or dried ones?

Datel

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Which contains more nutrients, is better? Chickpeas / legumes in a jar (not a can) or dried ones?

I would not think there would be a loss of nutrients, as canned would be pressure cooked
You could look for low or no salt added organic canned--Dr Greger himself keeps them on hand

Chickpeas seem to be the one bean I've had too many problems cooking well. I like them soft, all through, and even after soaking and pressure cooking find they still aren't done to my liking, so I just buy canned and use in soups where they get cooked even more
Pretty low on my list of beans I like.

Reactions: Emma JC
I'm not sure I've ever come across non-dry chickpeas or other legumes sold in a jar.

I do believe dry legumes have a finite shelf-life. E.g. if they're old, it takes longer to soak and cook them. Some googling seems to confirm that they will start losing nutrients after a few years, depending on storage temperature and air moisture.

That said, it seems canned legumes have a similar shelf life.

As for non-dry legumes in a jar - so, I assume you mean fresh legumes put into a jar - I would think they have a shorter shelf life. That just seems like common sense. But I could be wrong!

I've seen jarred beans. Problem with buying dry is I don't see pick dates on the bags, except for soybeans.
I buy most dry beans at Aldi with no issue. Chickpeas I buy at Indian grocers, as well as the usual brands have all given my issues
I would say I just don't like them at all anymore, but there are a couple of canned brands that are properly cooked for me, and using canned in soups make them right

These are the jarred beans I've seen:

They might lose (more) nutritions precooked and then stored than untreated. But yes, in a can / jar that might not matter.

Yes, a good point, added salt and others one should avoid.

I also should have mentioned chickpeas flour, that I use sometimes, but I assume that das wird am meisten Nährstoffe verlieren, da es eben als Mehl vorliegt.

I would not buy cans because of the internal coating / bisphenol. The shelf life of (pre-treated, not dry) chickpeas/legumes in a jar should also last very long, yes, canned might be longer because of another procedure, but even only a year would be enough for me, I guess. Even though they lasted for years, I guess you shouldn't store them that long because of the disappearing nutritions. I assume storing food, regardless of their packaging (in cans, jars, dry, etc.), for some years will cause a (more or lesse big) loss of nutritions for all types of storage. The question might be how high the loss would be.

Yes, precooked / treated, not dry, hopefully fresh legumes in a jar. I thought they were the same ones that came in cans, but maybe there is a difference.

It is probably not possible to draw conclusions about the pick date using the expiry date alone. On my packages aren't pick dates as well.

Well I soaked Chickpeas yesterday then cooked for 25 min under pressure, the time I cook other beans uncooked. They came out very very soft!.
Still not a fan

the best beans / chick peas / lentils are the ones that you will eat....

If I had to cook every bean or lentil that I ate from dry or try to find them in jars I would eat less and that would be much less nutritious for me. So when I feel like it I soak and cook beans / lentils (never chick peas or kidney beans) and when I don't I eat them from a can. Yes, there may be stuff in the linings ( or not ) but there is also stuff in the air and the water and the... so on and so on .... so I don't sweat the small stuff with the cans and just enjoy the food.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Well I soaked Chickpeas yesterday then cooked for 25 min under pressure, the time I cook other beans uncooked. They came out very very soft!.
Still not a fan
Maybe they taste better al dente. Basically like pasta, bulgur, rice, etc. too. Do not taste good, if cooked too long. Maybe a shorter baking time. And / or maybe other spices.

the best beans / chick peas / lentils are the ones that you will eat....
Or maybe the ones that are good for you (and taste well)...who knows.

Yes, there may be stuff in the linings ( or not ) but there is also stuff in the air and the water and the...
...and in the food and their packagings and simply everywhere, I guess. So one just can do and eat everything. Yes, yes, a completely understandable attitude.

so I don't sweat the small stuff with the cans and just enjoy the food.
Yes, absolutely, entirely my opinion, the small stuff is just for buffoons. Better to enjoy the food (and the life).

Dry chickpeas and soybeans can be difficult to cook; it takes quite some time to get them tender. But I've had good luck cooking them with my slow-cooker lately. You have to be careful of them foaming over; I put my slow-cooker on a sort of cafeteria-style serving tray which has a lip around the edge. At worst, there's a bit of a puddle on the tray by the time the beans are done- but my most recent batch of soybeans was perfect.

Maybe they taste better al dente. Basically like pasta, bulgur, rice, etc. too. Do not taste good, if cooked too long. Maybe a shorter baking time. And / or maybe other spices.

Or maybe the ones that are good for you (and taste well)...who knows.

...and in the food and their packagings and simply everywhere, I guess. So one just can do and eat everything. Yes, yes, a completely understandable attitude.

Yes, absolutely, entirely my opinion, the small stuff is just for buffoons. Better to enjoy the food (and the life).
I absolutely hate 'al dente' beans, I was so happy they came out soft!

I used to obsess over 'the best' and I also find being more relaxed about food is better for my health overall

• Agree
Or maybe trying chickpeas (beans / legumes) flour (for bread, cake, or something like falafel, etc.).

Yes, extremes often are certainly not good.